Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shockingly, Newt Gingrinch slams Barack Obama over Chavez handshake

olivia if that is what the book is about then it sounds interesting. I personally love books on history written as journals, biographies, and autobiographies. If it were written as a book that put America down and humilitated then I am not so sure I would but I would be willing to take a look at it.
    YOU CAN'T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT
    (M. Jagger/K. Richards)

Elite Member

Default re

1. From a diplomacy POV, playing it bland and smooth for now is probably better anyway. You don't have to pull out your guns right away. Besides, it's not like we're in a diplomatic crisis with Venezuela right now.
    2. People shouldn't be scared of books or ideas. They can't hurt you. Not reading is far more harmful, IMO.
    3. My 17 year old knows more than GWB about Latin America. I think my 14 year old does as well. That is a sad statement. Ignorance is not a diplomatic strategy.

The book was written in espanol. O doesn't speak espanol as far as I know. So looking at the book he prob didn't have a clue what it was, shook his hand and ta-da.
    Chavez is a piece of shit, but again, O turning his face up at him or ranting would have been a huge reminder of the last 8 years, reminiscent of what Dumbya did the entire time.
    It was his way or the highway.
    It's nice to have someone who doesn't act like an asshole. But those who disagree with that, probably thought Bush did an amazing job in office, starting unnecessary expensive wars and everything.

Elite Member

Default re

The aptly-named Newt is just an opportunist anyway. The missteps of the GOP of late have him looking like an elder statesman, relatively speaking.

It is just another indication that the GOP still needs to find its future direction.

Quote Originally Posted by lurkur View Post
    You haven't read the book, you don't know.

You haven't read the book, you don't know.

You don't even know what it is or says, yet you've judged it filthy enough to burn. Sad. What are you so afraid of?
    Ive read enough reviews to know its not something I want to spend money on or read.
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Quote Originally Posted by cmmdee View Post
    The book was written in espanol. O doesn't speak espanol as far as I know. So looking at the book he prob didn't have a clue what it was, shook his hand and ta-da.
    Chavez is a piece of shit, but again, O turning his face up at him or ranting would have been a huge reminder of the last 8 years, reminiscent of what Dumbya did the entire time.
    It was his way or the highway.
    It's nice to have someone who doesn't act like an asshole. But those who disagree with that, probably thought Bush did an amazing job in office, starting unnecessary expensive wars and everything.
    I think Bush sucked
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Do you even call that a hand shake?

it looks like chavvy was trying to reach for something and obama stopped him with an 'ick' look
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

^^ Haha. I was thinking the same thing. Looks like Chavy's trying to see what O is working with. And O is like, Um, no. Michelle will cut you.

Quote Originally Posted by cupcake View Post
    I think Bush sucked
    So do I. He and Cheney were awful.

It looks like they are about to arm wrestle.

Quote Originally Posted by cupcake View Post
    Ive read enough reviews to know its not something I want to spend money on or read.

Then go to a library, read it there, without having to spend any money, and form an opinion. Opinions don't kill people, ignorance does. [/hypocrisy]

My God, leave the woman alone. If she thinks the book is shit, and doesn't want to read it, so what it's her opinion and it hurts no one. If you want to bitch about something, bitch about something that makes sense.

Yes, it's her opinion that a book she never read is shit, which is unfounded and uninfomed, and we can rightly tear said opinion apart for its apparent silliness.

Bitching about attitudes like that make sense. Holding attitudes like that doesn't.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by viggofan View Post
    olivia if that is what the book is about then it sounds interesting. I personally love books on history written as journals, biographies, and autobiographies. If it were written as a book that put America down and humilitated then I am not so sure I would but I would be willing to take a look at it.
    I don't like books, movies or people that try to shame me for just being alive. That feels too much like religion. I can't help where my ass was born and what I call home...deal with it.

Days and Nights has a pretty small perspective, no international ranting that I can recall (he gets to that in "Open Veins of Latin America".) This is more like short prose poems about his experiences with all kinds of people in Argentina and Uruguay while he was on the run from militias. I found it to be very, very sweet and engaging, quite nostalgic and sad.

There are lots of other brazen and hostile books Chavez could have given to Obama. He chose this one, which was a pretty wise move.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    My God, leave the woman alone. If she thinks the book is shit, and doesn't want to read it, so what it's her opinion and it hurts no one. If you want to bitch about something, bitch about something that makes sense.
    What kind of sense is it label something shit which she has never read or plans to read?

That's all we're saying.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information