Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Senator Arlen Specter to switch parties, become Democrat

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
    Arlen "Magic Bullet" Specter belongs in the Democratic Party with the rest of the spineless, wishy washy pussies.
    Palin, is that you?

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

He has long been a "different" kind of Republican and now he is "coming out" so to speak. He isn't a full on democrat either. He is just closer to that side and his big "thing" is the medical community and research. That obviously is better suited to the dems.
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Palin, is that you?
    Not hardly. I'm to the left of, well, I'm further left than most of you here. I once believed in the Democratic Party. I've worked my ass off for them in the past. Can any of you deny the Dem Party has shafted it's base on more than one occasion by rolling over and playing dead? Letting the Repukes have their way with them? How many times has Pelosi and Reid wimped out? Obama, already? One could go on for days with tales of Dem cowardice and betrayal. You all know it's true, so what did I say that was factually false? Specter belongs in the party because he too wimped out on his promises in regard to illegal spying.

It won't even matter if they have a filibuster proof majority. They'll cave in again and again and do what their corporate masters tell them to do, which will of course coincide with what the Repukes want to do.

Not hardly. I'm to the left of, well, I'm further left than most of you here. I once believed in the Democratic Party. I've worked my ass off for them in the past. Can any of you deny the Dem Party has shafted it's base on more than one occasion by rolling over and playing dead? Letting the Repukes have their way with them? How many times has Pelosi and Reid wimped out? Obama, already? One could go on for days with tales of Dem cowardice and betrayal. You all know it's true, so what did I say that was factually false? Specter belongs in the party because he too wimped out on his promises in regard to illegal spying.

It won't even matter if they have a filibuster proof majority. They'll cave in again and again and do what their corporate masters tell them to do, which will of course coincide with what the Repukes want to do.
    I totally see where you are coming from, their spineless wavering and backtracking on issues that have been pointed out here have been disheartening (but not unexpected).

I agree with some that he's only doing this after the fact and losing the election, REAL conviction and courage would have been if he had done it during the previous administration. Now this just seems like he's doing whatever it takes to hold onto that power.

Quote Originally Posted by nana55 View Post
    He has long been a "different" kind of Republican and now he is "coming out" so to speak. He isn't a full on democrat either. He is just closer to that side and his big "thing" is the medical community and research. That obviously is better suited to the dems.
    Good point! I briefly researched his record, and he's all over the map. He's in favor of civil unions, is seemingly pro-choice, and fairly protective of the environment. But he's pro-death penalty, anti-gun control, for privatizing social security.

Either way, awesome. We'll take him!

ETA: Can we have Olympia Snowe too? She's awesome.

Elite Member

Hopefully it becomes a stampede of moderate republicans. Rush Limbaugh reacted thusly: "And take McCain and his daughter with you, lol".

double edged sword.. moderate republicans not enabling dems to pass their legislation, ie: being blue dog dems (DINO'S - democrats in name only).. but the possibility of more of them voting down Dem lines... hard to call.

At any rate, the Rethug party will shrink and become ever more white, shrill, insane, and fundamentalist
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Elite Member

It's the optics I like - rat leaving sinking ship.

Can any of you deny the Dem Party has shafted it's base on more than one occasion by rolling over and playing dead?
    Not with a straight face
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Shyeah, the last 8 years of rolling over and playing dead is pretty hard to ignore
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

What Specter's switch says about him, the Democrats and our political spectrum

I just contributed my thoughts on Arlen Specter's party switch to the New York Times' "Room for Debate" segment, so I'll post the link to that once that is available, but for the moment -- and since this, presumably, is what many people want to discuss -- I'll note a few brief points:

(1) The idea that Specter is a "liberal" Republican or even a "moderate" reflects how far to the Right both the GOP and our overall political spectrum has shifted.

Consider Specter’s most significant votes over the last eight years, ones cast in favor of such definitive right-wing measures as: the war on Iraq, the Military Commissions Act, Patriot Act renewal, confirmation of virtually every controversial Bush appointee, retroactive telecom immunity, warrantless eavesdropping expansions, and Bush tax cuts (several times). Time and again during the Bush era, Specter stood with Republicans on the most controversial and consequential issues.

(2) Democrats will understandably celebrate today’s announcement, but beyond the questions of raw political power, it is mystifying why they would want to build their majority by embracing politicians who reject most of their ostensible views.

Reports today suggest that Democratic officials promised Specter that the party establishment would support him, rather than a real Democrat, in a primary. If true, few events more vividly illustrate the complete lack of core beliefs of Democratic leaders, as well as the rapidly diminishing differences between the parties. Why would Democrats want a full-blooded Republican representing them in the blue state of Pennsylvania? Specter is highly likely to reprise the Joe Lieberman role for Democrats: a “Democrat” who leads the way in criticizing and blocking Democratic initiatives, forcing the party still further towards Republican policies.

(3) Arlen Specter is one of the worst, most soul-less, most belief-free individuals in politics. The moment most vividly illustrating what Specter is: prior to the vote on the Military Commissions Act of 2006, he went to the floor of the Senate and said what the bill "seeks to do is set back basic rights by some 900 years" and is "patently unconstitutional on its face." He then proceeded to vote YES on the bill's passage.

(4) Today is the best day to watch Fox News since the election -- mass grieving flavored by impotent bitterness.

UPDATE: In his Press Conference, Specter just reiterated that he opposes the nomination of one of Obama's few truly excellent nominees: Dawn Johnsen as OLC Chief. What a great Democrat Specter will be. Specter also just detailed how key Democratic officials promised to support him and raise money for him in the 2010 election if he switched, so now Democrats -- Harry Reid and the rest -- are committed to keeping him in power for another 8 years, committed to keeping the Pennsylvania Senate seat in the hands of Arlen Specter.

Specter is also complaining incessently about the fact that Lieberman lost his primary and Specter only won his 2004 primary by 1%. This apparently demonstrates all sorts of bad things about our political process. They really do believe that they are divinely entitled to keep their seats forever, and anything which threatens that is intrinsically illegitimate and wrong.

What Specter's switch says about him, the Democrats and our political spectrum - Glenn Greenwald - Salon.com

BTW, Specter was originally a Democrat...so really he's switched back.
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; April 28th, 2009 at 08:17 PM.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

damn I can't believe he is still in politics. he is about as "old as dirt" kennedy imo. Maybe it is time for him to jump ship from politics altogether.
    YOU CAN'T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT
    (M. Jagger/K. Richards)

^^ The way they operate - he could have another 20 years. Why don't senators have term limits like many other politicians? Who can really be effective as a senator in their 90's?

Hit By Ban Bus!

a “Democrat” who leads the way in criticizing and blocking Democratic initiatives, forcing the party still further towards Republican policies.

YUP, precisely.

I agree with you that the Dems have been spineless more times than I care to count, but I wouldn't call them ALL spineless or pussies. Reid, definitely. Pelosi has her moments. Obama has had his moments of caving, too

But I think a lot of people have this idea that once the Dems regained power that they should just do what the Republicans did and just say 'fuck the other party' and do what they want. But my problem with that is those of us who are Independent, Democratic, moderate or liberal blasted the Republicans for having that attitude. It would be wrong for the Dems to do the same thing we bitched about the Republicans doing for the last 8 years.

Now, that's not to say that I want Obama and the Dems to cave to the GOP at every turn. But I have no problem with them at least TRYING to work with the Republicans, at first, and when the GOP bitches, then the Dems should just do what they want/need to do.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information