Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sen. Ensign admits affair with ex-campaign staffer

Guess That Didn't Pan Out

06.16.09 -- 7:52PM
    By Josh Marshall
    Turns out that Sen. Ensign (R) is a longtime member of "Promise Keepers."
    Seems like he may have stumbled a bit on promise 3 and promise 4.
    Guess That Didn't Pan Out | TPM

PROMISE 3
    A Promise Keeper is committed to practicing spiritual, moral, ethical, and sexual purity.

PROMISE 4
    A Promise Keeper is committed to building strong marriages and families through love, protection and biblical values.

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

This is why it becomes an issue for me. If he wasn't such a "holier than thou" person I wouldn't care. It would be between him and his wife.
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

Tarnished Republican drops leadership post

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - In a new setback for the struggling Republican party, U.S. Senator John Ensign resigned from a party leadership post on Wednesday after admitting an affair with a female staffer.
    "He's accepted responsibility for his actions and apologized to his family and constituents. He offered, and I accepted, his resignation as chairman of the (Senate Republican) Policy Committee," said Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell.
    Ensign's resignation causes another headache for the Republican Party, which preaches "family values" and has been scrambling to rebuild in wake of losing the last two congressional elections and the White House in 2008.
    Ensign, of Nevada, led failed efforts by Republicans to pick up seats in last year's Senate elections, which left Democrats in control of the chamber with 59 of the 99 filled Senate seats.
    As chairman of the Policy Committee charged with analyzing pending legislation, Ensign held the fourth ranking post in Senate Republican leadership.
    Ensign, 51, who is married and had been seen as a potential 2012 presidential contender, admitted he had an affair last year with a staffer whose husband also worked for him. The couple no longer work for the senator.
    If Ensign decides to seek a third six-year term in the Senate, he would be up for election in 2012.
    (Reporting by Thomas Ferraro, Editing by Sandra Maler)
    Tarnished Republican drops leadership post | U.S. | Reuters
    "Just because I walked into a turd supermarket doesn't mean I have to buy anything." - John Oliver

My husband is a pt minister and he would never think of going to Promise Keepers
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

The son of the couple at the center of the sex scandal that has engulfed Sen. John Ensign was being paid by National Republican Senatorial Committee in 2008 at the same time his mother was having an affair with the Nevada Republican.

Both Doug and Cynthia Hampton were already working in senior positions for Ensign when their son Brandon Hampton was hired to do “research policy consulting” for the NRSC in March 2008.

The younger Hampton, 19, was paid $5,400 before he left the Ensign office in August last year, Federal Election Commission records show.

That means during March and April 2008, three members of the Hampton family were working for Ensign. Both Doug and Cynthia Hampton stopped working for Ensign at the end of April 2008.

According to people familiar with the matter, Ensign’s affair with Hampton took place between December 2007 and August 2008.

A trusted political aide, Cynthia Hampton served as the treasurer for both Ensign’s reelection campaign and for his leadership fund, Battle Born PAC. She received $10,620 through the Battle Born PAC during January to April 2008 – a pay rate that was far higher during that four-month period than the $11,767 she received from the committee during all of 2007.

Cynthia Hampton was also paid $11, 912 by Ensign’s reelection campaign between Jan. 2007 and April 2008, with her monthly salary doubling later in the year.

According to Senate payroll records, Doug Hampton served as Ensign’s administrative assistant in his personal office from November 2006 to May 2008, departing around the same time Cynthia Hampton left Ensign’s political committees. After leaving Ensign’s office, Doug Hampton went to work for a Las Vegas political consulting firm called November Inc. which is run by several former Ensign aides.

Doug Hampton was paid about $101,000 for seven months of work in fiscal 2008 – a higher monthly rate than he was previously paid. He made $144,000 in all of 2007.
    NRSC paid son of woman in Ensign affair - John Bresnahan - POLITICO.com

Quote Originally Posted by cupcake View Post
    Bill had Jenifer Flowers before he ever became pres, plus the deal with Paula Jones.
    I dont know if this will hurt him or not. Im just glad his wife wasnt by his side when he confirmed it. I hate that
    So what, the republicans came after him for getting his dick sucked in the Oval office, while on the phone with Ariel Sharon... Meanwhile they were fucking everything that had a hole. Hypocrisy much!
    Last edited by *DIVA!; June 17th, 2009 at 10:13 PM.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

I just hope I never have to hear about Obama doing anything immoral. I cant picture it.
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Quote Originally Posted by cupcake View Post
    I just hope I never have to hear about Obama doing anything immoral. I cant picture it.
    I'm pretty sure Michelle will handle that, better than any stone throwing republican. I'm sure Biden, or Pelosi will pardon her when she throws im off the roof of the WH!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

and what if he does? as long as he's doing the job people elected him to do, who gives a crap what or who he does on the side.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    and what if he does? as long as he's doing the job people elected him to do, who gives a crap what or who he does on the side.
    Right, the only people who should be concerned...is his family.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

Wasn't it ML Kings wife who told the Press they had better back off, that any trangression her husband had was her business,not theirs? I would like to see more wives spell it out. Those were not the exact words she used and I am hazy on which wife did it-I kinda think it was her.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information