Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Secretary of State Hillary Clinton?

I agree with everyone's comments. I think she'd be a great choice for the reasons mentioned.

Now we need a place for Bill.

Can you imagine an Obama/Biden administration with Bill and Hillary, John Kerry, Al Gore, Bill Richardson.....? The Repug Fundies will have to pray extra hard for our liberal souls.

Hit By Ban Bus!

She'd be a good choice for SoS or the Supreme Court, providing she's seriously interested.

Elite Member

Just an honest question here. Since the Arab nations have little respect for women, can a woman SOS be effective? It doesn't seem that Rice accomplished much.

Quote Originally Posted by Quazar View Post
    I agree with everyone's comments. I think she'd be a great choice for the reasons mentioned.

Can you imagine an Obama/Biden administration with Bill and Hillary, John Kerry, Al Gore, Bill Richardson.....? The Repug Fundies will have to pray extra hard for our liberal souls.
    I'd love that only just for their heads to explode.

Quote Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
    Just an honest question here. Since the Arab nations have little respect for women, can a woman SOS be effective? It doesn't seem that Rice accomplished much.
    IMO Madeleine Albright did a fine job as SOS. I think Rice was ineffective because she was working on behalf of Dubya and Cheney.

I agree about Albright. I think Rice ran into the vast Dubya hate so her job was made harder. I hope this is true. I love Hillary and I think she will do a great job.

Seems confirmed, Obama offered itto her, via huffpost.com
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

PUMAs R.I.P.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Quazar View Post

US Ambassador to the United Nations. It will keep him occuped as well as in NY a significant portion of the time, which would be convenient in several ways..

Some don't believe the rumors:
    14 Nov 2008 02:36 pm
    Rumor Patrol

Al Giordano doesn't believe that Clinton is seriously under consideration for Secretary of State:
    The whole thing is a media freak show being served up by members of the Clinton factions in the Democratic party and obliged by a national media (some of them also Clinton noisemakers) in search of a story. The speculation is not because Senator Clinton wants the job, but because her people so desperately want to muddy the waters and throw up a roadblock to either New Mexico Governor Bill Richardson or Massachusetts Senator John Kerry - two of the leading contenders - serving in the post, whom they consider turncoats for having endorsed Obama vs. Clinton earlier this year.

The Daily Dish | By Andrew Sullivan (November 14, 2008) - Rumor Patrol

Some do
    14 Nov 2008 05:13 pm
    Hillary Clinton For Secretary Of State, Ctd.

Marc thinks through the politics:
    Don't believe reports that Max Baucus intends to take the lead role on health care legislation, anticipating a leadership vacuum because of Sen. Ted Kennedy's illness and a possible Hillary Clinton departure. What Baucus wants to do is make sure that his finance committee plays a key role, so he's found a way to invest in the debate.
    I defer to Marc's reporting. But this idea just resonates with me as classic Obama. I don't think Clinton as secretary of state would be mere symbolism. And I think it's a brilliant way to coopt her without in any way demeaning her. More to the point: Dick Morris is furious and Drudge is trying to wish the story away. That tells you what smart politics this would be. The more I think about it, the more I support it. She did her duty this fall. And she is the kind of toughie who could be a real Iron Lady type with the Russians and Iranians. That global presence would be a better prep for a future presidential run (yes, I'll jump off that bridge when we get to it) and help separate her from her hubby. And if she turns Obama down, her leverage against him is weakened anyway. He did his best. Due diligence, and all that.

But I don't think it's a head-fake. And I think she may say yes.

The Daily Dish | By Andrew Sullivan (November 14, 2008) - Hillary Clinton For Secretary Of State, Ctd.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information