Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Schwarzenegger budget eliminates welfare

Some of the pensions are in excess of $100,000.
    The $499,000 Pension and Other Tales of California Governance

Matt Welch | June 1, 2009
    How hosed is California based on state-sector pension obligations alone? Alert reader Robert Kelley sends along this gruesome little database of the 5,115 people currently drawing pensions in excess of $100,000 from the Golden State. (If you want to go down a fascinating rabbit hole of Internet searching, I highly recommend looking up the half-mil-pension-receiving Bruce Malkenhorst.) Kelley comments:
    I used to work at a library and for a city government in the Bay Area. I took a look at some people who I knew worked there and retired recently. One librarian had retired with a $110k a year pension. A former police chief who retired recently (in his early 50s) from my tiny city now has a pension of $185k a year. These government workers are retiring with full health care benefits for them and their families at no additional cost, and they can retire at age 50 or 55 depending on where they work.

It's an amazing gravy train. Given that a person at age 55 can reasonably expect to live 30 years now, that means the effective yearly salary paid to those people during their working years is about double what is stated.

The next time you hear about a schmuck Coastal Commission Analyst only making $80k a year, think about that. The real cost is more like $160k a year. Beats working.
    While public employees continue enjoying gold-plated retirements, the ongoing media scare campaign over Gov. Schwarzenegger's "annihilating" cuts continues apace. The latest, care of also-alert reader Ray Eckhart, comes from the New York Times, under the headline "Deep Cuts Threaten to Reshape California." The word "pension" was not harmed in the production of this article.
    The cuts Mr. Schwarzenegger has proposed [...] would turn California into a place that in some ways would be unrecognizable in modern America: poor children would have no health insurance, prisoners would be released by the thousands and state parks would be closed.

Nearly all of the billions of dollars in cuts the administration has proposed would affect programs for poor Californians, although prisons and schools would take hits, as well.
    My take on big-California-government apologists who don't ever come out and say big California government is kewl, here.
    The $499,000 Pension and Other Tales of California Governance - Hit & Run : Reason Magazine

^ Yeah, but there's a much more bizarre story behind the $499,000 pension: Welcome to Paradise - Forbes.com
    "Oh! I've been looking for a red suede pump!"
    - Marie (Carrie Fisher), When Harry Met Sally

i am not against good pensions and benefits for government employees but you can't sustain them without higher taxes. it's like californians, through their retarded proposition system, have progressively voted in a stupid system where they want all the benefits of a big government but none of the costs associated with it (high taxes). it's one or the other but you can't have both and the governator's short-term, near-sighted measures aren't going to fix the problem because they don't address the root causes.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I am against pensions for Gov't employees. They should get the same benefits all the rest if us get when we retire at 62-70. Instead we pay taxes hoping there will be SS and medicare when we get there and the gov't employees get much more, better benefits and can retire much earlier off the taxes we helped to contribute.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Little Wombat View Post
    ^ Yeah, but there's a much more bizarre story behind the $499,000 pension: Welcome to Paradise - Forbes.com
    What a nice, little racket they had going since the 70's.

^ The government pension systems were created back in the day when people only worked for one company and those companies also had pensions.

The federal government has changed its system somewhat since then. In the newer federal government system, you really can't retire until the same age as the private sector.

Perhaps the state governments are still clinging to the old model? One thing to be said for the state pension systems is that a lot of people wouldn't work for the state government without them. To a certain degree, the government line of work needs the pension system to compete with the private market.

Quote Originally Posted by bellini View Post
    What a nice, little racket they had going since the 70's.
    I know! No wonder he has a half-mil pension!
    Last edited by Tati; May 17th, 2010 at 05:12 PM.
    "Oh! I've been looking for a red suede pump!"
    - Marie (Carrie Fisher), When Harry Met Sally

Quote Originally Posted by Little Wombat View Post
    I know! No wonder he has a half-mil pension!
    He was King of Vernon.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    i am not against good pensions and benefits for government employees but you can't sustain them without higher taxes. it's like californians, through their retarded proposition system, have progressively voted in a stupid system where they want all the benefits of a big government but none of the costs associated with it (high taxes). it's one or the other but you can't have both and the governator's short-term, near-sighted measures aren't going to fix the problem because they don't address the root causes.
    Yep.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    I am against pensions for Gov't employees. They should get the same benefits all the rest if us get when we retire at 62-70. Instead we pay taxes hoping there will be SS and medicare when we get there and the gov't employees get much more, better benefits and can retire much earlier off the taxes we helped to contribute.
    Amen!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information