Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930 LastLast

Thread: Sarah Palin's daughter Bristol is pregnant!!!! (again?)

Quote Originally Posted by cheetopia View Post
    McCain has had a supposedly swollen gland on the left side of his face too. But I think he'd live through four years in the WH, all the big dumb jock types always do.

Has anyone else noticed that Bush is the only recent president to not age horribly in the WH or that if you stick sun glasses and a baseball cap on McCain he is a dead ringer for crazy Gary Busey?

Wonder if I could vote Gary Busey as a write in candidate? He couldn't possibly screw things up any worse than they are right now.

You are so right!
    as privileged as a whore...victims in demand for public show, swept out through the cracks beneath the door, holier than thou, how?

Has anyone else noticed that Bush is the only recent president to not age horribly in the WH...

Yeah, I have noticed that, actually. The worst I can think of is how quick his hair went from dark to almost white. I dunno, eight years isn't that quick, but still.

or that if you stick sun glasses and a baseball cap on McCain he is a dead ringer for crazy Gary Busey?
    I noticed that too!!!

Has anyone else noticed that Bush is the only recent president to not age horribly in the WH or that if you stick sun glasses and a baseball cap on McCain he is a dead ringer for crazy Gary Busey?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by gas_chick View Post
    Well as far as I know he hasn't battled skin cancer more than once and I speak from experience when I say skin cancer always comes back. Hell the guy can't move one side of his face for fuck's sake and it ain't because of botox.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleWasHere View Post
    I thought he's had procedures to remove melanoma twice? I'll look that up.

ETA: Alas, I could only find the once instance from 2000. I couldn't sworn there was another time, though??
    Surviving Skin Cancer
    As the leading GOP presidential candidate and someone who has battled melanoma, McCain has put the potentially deadly disease in the spotlight.

Sarah Kliff
    Newsweek Web Exclusive
    Updated: 1:24 PM ET Feb 20, 2008
    Sen. John McCain's battle with the most deadly type of skin cancer began in 1993, when doctors discovered and surgically removed a melanoma on his left arm. A second occurrence, in the middle of the 2000 Republican convention, became big news shortly after his first bid for the Republican nomination for president. Doctors removed the two new melanomas--one on his temple, another on his left arm--and at least one of his lymph nodes as well, likely to ensure that the cancer had not spread. The procedures were successful, though McCain's presidential run was not. He is having better luck this year. Now the likely GOP nominee for the 2008 election, McCain is quick to point out that he's been cancer-free for several years. Still, the possibility that he will be the next U.S. president has brought renewed attention to the potentially deadly disease.

Melanoma is the least common form of skin cancer but the most lethal. It has few treatments. It causes about 60,000 new cases of skin cancer each year, just 4 percent of all skin-cancer cases diagnosed. But it is responsible for more than half of all skin-cancer deaths annually--about 8,000. And while survival rates have steadily increased for melonomas detected early, it is an extremely challenging disease to treat in late stages. If the cancer spreads to distant sites in the body, like the liver, lungs and brains, the chance of survival becomes drastically worse. "In that situation, there's a high likelihood the patient would die from the melanoma," says Martin Weinstock, chairman of the American Cancer Society's skin-cancer advisory group and a dermatology professor at Brown University. Unlike many other common cancers, melanoma strikes at any age, occurring in younger as well as older patients. While rates do increase with aging, melanoma is still one of the most common cancers in adolescents and young adults.

Most of the risk factors for melanoma are unavoidable. Weinstock says the biggest three are family history, having many irregular moles and prior occurrences of melanoma. So McCain's two prior incidents of melanoma put him at increased risk of having a third. Exposure to sun, however, is the one important risk factor that patients can do a lot about. "The standard recommendation for anyone who has had a prior melanoma is to protect themselves from exposure to ultraviolet rays because it's the most important, avoidable risk factor we know about," says Weinstock. "It's not the only one, but [it] is the most important one that is avoidable."

Time of detection greatly effects melanoma's cure rate. At an early stage, when the melanoma is localized and thin, there's a good chance that simple surgery to remove the cancer will be an effective treatment. If the melanoma has exceeded a particular thickness, doctors will also regularly remove a sentinel lymph node to biopsy the area for evidence of melanoma, a procedure that McCain had after his melanoma was discovered in 2000. "That's become pretty common in recent years, just to check if the disease has spread to new areas." (The results of McCain's biopsy are unknown because his health records have not been made public. But it's assumed that the cancer had not spread.) Doctors are using a two-pronged approach to better treat melanoma: improving early detection techniques while also developing new technologies to treat late-stage melanoma that has spread to distant sites. In the meantime, Weinstock stresses the importance of protecting against UV exposure as a preventive measure and of regularly checking for unusual moles or suspicious spots that may be early signs of cancer. For more information on identifying possible melanomas, click here. For more information on skin cancer, check out the Web sites of the American Cancer Society or the Skin Cancer Foundation.

URL: Newsweek - National News, World News, Health, Technology, Entertainment and more... | Newsweek.com 2008

You totally pwned me there. Thanks for the article ^ ^ ^

This Friday is a special on cancer called "Stand Up To Cancer" that all three major networks are sponsoring simultaneously. They will have alot of information available about the various types and treatments.
    as privileged as a whore...victims in demand for public show, swept out through the cracks beneath the door, holier than thou, how?

Bush has aged horribly in my opinion. Paul Newman looked MUCH better at the same age.

Imho, neither candidate for prez is an excellent choice. (Yes, I said it.) Having been able to vote in every presidential election since the whole Florida count issue, I never thought I would see another election that left me feeling,"We're totally and utterly fubared."

It's the Newton's Third Law of Politics, for every stance, their is an equally ineffective, yet opposite, stance.

If the Republicans get the White House, some country will be the focus of aggression. The country chosen this time might fight back. While we are awaiting the attacks, we can all volunteer to change the diapers of the president and the diapers of all the children born to teen mothers who, under Palin's urging, were told just not to have sex.

If the Dems move in to 1600 Penn Ave, while they are trying to reason with violent thugs, said thugs will be plotting to kill us all in the name of whatever God of the week has his name in lights that week.

The Dems aren't planning to reason with them.. their plan is diplomacy and police action (tear down networks, arrest cells).. the exact damn things used to fight terrorism.. not wars and invasions which just provide a terrorist training ground
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

McCain has had a supposedly swollen gland on the left side of his face too. But I think he'd live through four years in the WH, all the big dumb jock types always do.

Wonder if I could vote Gary Busey as a write in candidate? He couldn't possibly screw things up any worse than they are right now.
    Bush didn't have to worry about aging horribly because he was the one fucking the country up. It's the rest of us who have aged horribly under the stress of his presidency.

how could he age from stress, half his preznitzy has been VACATION TIME

After reading all of this shit on Palin I'm starting to think she is the world's greatest troll. Only a real life troll of epic proportions could get as much negative attention as she is.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    I so do too! I can't bring myself to vote for Mccane or Obama, so I won't.

I always seem to vote against the candidate I want the least instead of voting for someone I'm excited about. In my 24 years of voting for POTUS, only once was I really excited about a candidate - Bill Clinton's second term.

Quote Originally Posted by bychance View Post

Hey, Butterfly said she wouldn't vote for McCain, so don't be all upset about it. >_>

Thread Information