Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sarah Palin slams President Obama for Special Olympics joke

^ True dat.
    "Oh! I've been looking for a red suede pump!"
    - Marie (Carrie Fisher), When Harry Met Sally

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    Had Palin made this comment I am sure people would have found it offensive....and it would have been blasted from every angle.
    Of course, if Palin really cared about "special needs" kids, she wouldn't have rejected stimulus money that's needed for Alaskan kids.
    The biggest single chunk of money that Palin is turning down is about $170 million for education, including money that would go for programs to help economically disadvantaged and special needs students. Anchorage School Superintendent Carol Comeau said she is "shocked and very disappointed" that Palin would reject the schools money. She said it could be used for job preservation, teacher training, and helping kids who need it.
    Palin rejects over 30% of stimulus money: Gov. Sarah Palin | adn.com

Sarah Palin is a joke. She hasn't been in the spotlight lately ahd had to make sure nobody's forgotten about her.

^Well, she's supposed to have another scandal dropping sometime this week. Possibly within the next couple of days. I've seen two mentions of it on Alaskan blogs: The Mudflats For Every Explosion There is An Equal and Opposite Implosion. (for Sarah Palin) & The Immoral Minority: Something Wicked (or good depending on your perspective) This Way Comes. Have only read that it will not be related to "Babygate" (aka Trig is Bristol's baby). Best guess is that it may have to do with Palin's house. That'll keep her in the spotlight for a while...

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Of course, if Palin really cared about "special needs" kids, she wouldn't have rejected stimulus money that's needed for Alaskan kids.
    The biggest single chunk of money that Palin is turning down is about $170 million for education, including money that would go for programs to help economically disadvantaged and special needs students. Anchorage School Superintendent Carol Comeau said she is "shocked and very disappointed" that Palin would reject the schools money. She said it could be used for job preservation, teacher training, and helping kids who need it.
    Palin rejects over 30% of stimulus money: Gov. Sarah Palin | adn.com

Yeah, God forbid someone turn down money to help train teachers that should already be trained before they set foot in the classroom.

Elite Member

Yeah, God forbid someone turn down money to help train teachers that should already be trained before they set foot in the classroom.
    Do you realize that teachers attend training all the time? It's continuing education, and it keeps them up to speed on the latest educational research and techniques. It's very worthwhile, IMO. Other careers have continuing education and most companies will pay for it. Why not teachers?

^ yes, I do. My mom worked in the school system for YEARS. It's not a yearly thing and it's not something that costs millions of dollars either.

Elite Member

^ yes, I do. My mom worked in the school system for YEARS. It's not a yearly thing and it's not something that costs millions of dollars either.
    You live in NC, right? It was my understanding that teachers go to continuing education on teacher workdays and some during summer break (or track out if you're in year-round school).

Elite Member

I also wanted to say that the article says the money could be used for job preservation. Currently Wake Co. school systems has a hiring freeze. No new positions will be posted and vacated positions will not be filled is my understanding. So if the school system received money, they would not have to implement a hiring freeze, which creates or preserves jobs, right?

Quote Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
    You live in NC, right? It was my understanding that teachers go to continuing education on teacher workdays and some during summer break (or track out if you're in year-round school).
    My mother NEVER had one class during summer break. Summer break is just that, summer break.
    As for the teacher workdays. That's days for teachers to clean their rooms, work on lesson plans, and hang up the monthly bulletin board at the end of each hall.

There really isn't a need to learn English, 2x2 over again, or to learn history that is already written in the books. As far as I know teacher cont-ed is not a requirement. Once you graduate from school, and are hired, you have the skills that are needed to teach class.

As for the job preservation, I never argued that.

My mother NEVER had one class during summer break. Summer break is just that, summer break.
    As for the teacher workdays. That's days for teachers to clean their rooms, work on lesson plans, and hang up the monthly bulletin board at the end of each hall.

There really isn't a need to learn English, 2x2 over again, or to learn history that is already written in the books. As far as I know teacher cont-ed is not a requirement. Once you graduate from school, and are hired, you have the skills that are needed to teach class.

Continued training and education is absolutely a requirement of the school systems, particularly under the very awsome and unfunded No Child Left Behind Act.

Continuing education is a requirement in many states. Your description of your mother's "summer break" sounds outdated for many states. The article doesn't necessarily say what portion is for continuing ed/training either, so it may not be "millions" that are going specifically for training. Besides, the training could be for special education programs which tend to be difficult to fund.

Also, Alaska has a much higher cost of living than most of the US, particularly North Carolina or South Carolina. Things have to be flown from town to town, particularly in the winter. Not to mention the cost of food and fuel is much higher too.

He should be responsible for what he said, which offended people. Rightfully so. Those jokes get thrown around all the time, at GR too, and they are in line with racist and gay jokes. I think intent is a hugely important factor, but there will always people who get offended. At least he acknowledged he made a mistake, apologized, and has been working to help the situation.

The what-ifs about Palin making the same comment are interesting. I likely would rip in to her much more due to her history of rousing and basking in ignorant lynch mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Continuing education is a requirement in many states. Your description of your mother's "summer break" sounds outdated for many states. The article doesn't necessarily say what portion is for continuing ed/training either, so it may not be "millions" that are going specifically for training. Besides, the training could be for special education programs which tend to be difficult to fund.

Also, Alaska has a much higher cost of living than most of the US, particularly North Carolina or South Carolina. Things have to be flown from town to town, particularly in the winter. Not to mention the cost of food and fuel is much higher too.
    Are you calling my mom old?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information