Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sarah Palin says 150K worth of clothes were never hers; McCain campaign disowns her

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Pfft, but her stupid fundie ass will keep screeching till she gets to the white house
    How? On a public tour?

she'll never see the White House!

whynot? she can see russia from HER house
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Monday, Oct. 27, 2008 20:15 EDT
    Who's responsible for Palin's new wardrobe?

The story of the $150,000 worth of clothing that the Republican National Committee purchased for the use of Sarah Palin and her family isn't really just about fashion anymore. Now it may be a window into the fighting that's reportedly going on in the McCain campaign, as various factions seem to be trying to shift around the blame for the decision to buy the clothing.

Last week, on MSNBC's "Hardball," host Chris Matthews asked McCain advisor Nancy Pfotenhauer "who made this decision to pay all this -- spend all this money." Pfotenhauer responded, "I actually don't know who at the RNC made the decision, but it was obviously the RNC's call."

During his own appearance on MSNBC on Monday, though, RNC chair Mike Duncan told a different story, saying, "I'm not going to get in an argument with Sarah Palin or anyone else about this... We are working with the campaign. This was a coordinated expense that the campaign asked us to pay for, and we paid for that expense."

Also on Monday, on Fox News, the Weekly Standard's Fred Barnes pointed the finger in a different direction, saying:
    The person who went and bought the clothes, and as I understand it put the clothes on her credit card, went to Saks and Neiman Marcus -- where she was not asked to go by Sarah Palin, where Sarah Palin has never set foot -- and bought these clothes and brought them back, the staffer who did that has been a coward and has not stepped forward and said, "I made a mistake, I went and bought these clothes, I shouldn't have, it's been an embarrassment to the campaign and to Sarah Palin and to John McCain, I hurt the campaign, I'm sorry, it was my fault."
    Instead, she's allowed Sarah Palin to take the whole hit, and that's hurt the campaign... All the people I talk to say it's Nicolle Wallace. Now, if she didn't do that, then let her announce it publicly.
    Barnes' accusation is interesting for a couple reasons. First of all, the RNC disclosure reports that led to Politico's discovery of the expenditures indicate that it was consultant Jeff Larson, not Wallace, who was reimbursed the money.

Second, according to Ben Smith, Palin allies blame Wallace for some of the vice-presidential nominee's stumbles and are already predicting that Wallace will attempt to fault Palin if McCain loses. Moreover, Smith reported, "Palin's loyalists say she's grown particularly disenchanted with the veterans of the Bush reelection campaign, including [Steve] Schmidt and Wallace." That's noteworthy considering where Barnes' allegiances appear to lie. In a 2007 article he wrote about Palin for the Weekly Standard, he gushed over her and dubbed her a "star," a sentiment he repeated in an intensely pro-Palin piece he wrote for the magazine this month. And just a couple weeks ago, he said that the future of the GOP and the conservative movement "comes down to one person: Sarah Palin."

A McCain spokesman didn't respond to a request for comment.

― Alex Koppelman

Who's responsible for Palin's new wardrobe? - War Room - Salon.com

So the Weekly Standard's Fred Barnes has a huge hard-on for Sarah Palin. Got it.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

This election is the most fun I've had in years. It gets better and better. I can hardly wait until the election is over and we hear all the dirt behind McCain's campaign.
    Those are going to be some very interesting books to read.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

5-4-3-2-
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by ymeman View Post
    How did Rove not know this. Or did he? Why didn't they look at the people she's stabbed in the back in the short time she's been in gov't? It would have taken 5 minutes to figure it out. Why did they think they could control her, because all their wives are hopped up stepford pill-jockeys so they thought she would be one too? They ought to know that any elected official's drug of choice is power, whether male or female. Duh.
    I love your posts, ymeman.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

That was a good post by ymeman. I, too, am mystified about why they made the decision to have Palin on the ticket. Did Rove really make that call? It's hard to understand how anyone could drop the ball so badly by picking her--surely they had to anticipate what a liability to the party she'd be--esp. someone as calculating as Rove.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Apparently the RNC is now batting the whole thing back at McCain, saying it was his camp that asked for the clothes. He's going to be persona non grata just about everywhere after this election.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Hit By Ban Bus!
    squirrels in the morning, squirrels in the evening, squirrels at suppertime!

RNC is cutting off any more funding for the campaign right now. They are funneling the funds to the house and senate races in an attempt to at least win something this election.

The person who went and bought the clothes, and as I understand it put the clothes on her credit card, went to Saks and Neiman Marcus -- where she was not asked to go by Sarah Palin, where Sarah Palin has never set foot -- and bought these clothes and brought them back, the staffer who did that has been a coward and has not stepped forward and said, "I made a mistake, I went and bought these clothes, I shouldn't have, it's been an embarrassment to the campaign and to Sarah Palin and to John McCain, I hurt the campaign, I'm sorry, it was my fault."
    Instead, she's allowed Sarah Palin to take the whole hit, and that's hurt the campaign... All the people I talk to say it's Nicolle Wallace. Now, if she didn't do that, then let her announce it publicly.
    So, this "mystery shopper" just up and handed all these clothes to Sarah Palin, and she just started wearing them thru no fault of her own? Riiiight...

What in the hell? So now the assistant who bought the clothes is to blame, not the person wearing them?

Look, I don't give a shit about someone having a 150 grand wardrobe when they spend the money themselves. Using campaign financing to do that, and having your makeup artist as your highest paid staff member, is outrageous. If I gave money to the campaign, I would be pissed that that is what my money went to. Plus, it just goes to show how hypocritical she is by painting herself as an everyday woman, but spending an outrageous amount on clothes. Come on, she's no dummy. And in my opinion, she's the one - no one else - who is throwing other people under the bus here. If she would have just stepped up and said "I made a mistake" days and days ago, this thing would have been over.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Hit By Ban Bus!
    squirrels in the morning, squirrels in the evening, squirrels at suppertime!

She is the type that will never admit to being wrong over anything. It's a trait that many fundies seem especially have, this lack of ever taking any blame for screwups. I guess they think if God is for them how dare anyone else be against them..

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by cheetopia View Post
    RNC is cutting off any more funding for the campaign right now. They are funneling the funds to the house and senate races in an attempt to at least win something this election.
    McCain's bid for the White House is going down like the Titanic. It's every rat for themselves at this point.Things have gotten so bad for the Repubs that normally safe senate seats in Kentucky and North Carolina are up for grabs.

LBJ said that the Dems would lose the South for at least 40 years because of the 1965 Civil Rights Act. For all his faults, the man was a political heavyweight who knew voting patterns like the back of his hand. Everything is coming full circle. If the Dems can make strides in KY and NC, other Southern states won't be far behind.

The GOP as we now know it is doomed. It's all over but for the hearse pulling out of the graveyard. The neo-cons did this to themselves. And I don't think there's any coming back from this. I think they're all but finished.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information