Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Sarah Palin resigning; Governor no more, will not run for re-election

Alaska Report, the website that has been talking about the "iceberg," now has this on their website:
    Big dirty scandal about to hit the Palin universe
    Evidenced by Palin's announcement that she's stepping down today. Stay tuned...
    Of course she'd do it before a national holiday. The narcissist.

So yes, another GOP gov did fall!

Probably has to do with those kids.. Trix?.. Tomahawk?.. Tamale?.. Is it wrong to be so excited about this?

Whatever the upcoming scandal or reason for her resigning is, she can't just run away from it. Just because she's not going to be public office anymore does'nt mean she's out of the public eye. The shit that will hit the fan will hit her either way...and I can't WAIT!

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Lane View Post
    Probably has to do with those kids.. Trix?.. Tomahawk?.. Tamale?.. Is it wrong to be so excited about this?

Wonder if it's coming on Monday. The indictment, I mean...

Just when I thought no politician could implode in a press conference worse than Mark Sanford, Palin sets the bar even higher. She was even more incoherent than she usually is.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Wonder if it's coming on Monday. The indictment, I mean...
    What indictment? I haven't heard of that yet!

I'm so HAPPY!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cali View Post
    What indictment? I haven't heard of that yet!
    You need to check out this thread: Will another GOP gov fall? Major scandal headed toward Sarah Palin?

There's a couple hundred guests in that thread right now.

I hereby declare A MOTHER FUCKING PARTY

You need to check out this thread: Will another GOP gov fall? Major scandal headed toward Sarah Palin?

Dayum! WTF? I didn't realize GR was the go-to news source for so many!

From Andrew Halcro, former Alaska legislator:
    Palin Resigns: Exit stage right

July 3, 2009: In what can only be called a devastating week of press coverage for Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin ended today by the stunning announcement that she will resign her office with sixteen months still remaining in her first term as governor.

In a hastily called press conference this morning at her Wasilla home, Palin announced she will be stepping down in less than three weeks and that Lt. Gov. Sean Parnell will be sworn in during the July 25 Governor's Picnic in Fairbanks.

Why?

While many including myself have openly predicted that she would not seek a second term in order to cash in on her national ambitions, no one ever invisioned her resigning in such haste.

Over the last few weeks there has been growing criticism on both the state and national level about Palin. In addition, local bloggers have raised speculations about damaging information about Palin that was coming down the road.

A few weeks ago, Dennis Zaki posted on his popular website (Alaska Report News - The latest Alaska news, politics, weather, jobs, and opinions) a cryptic message about a pending bombshell that had to do with an investigation into Palin's finances.

Last week, local blogger Linda Kellen-Biegal (Celtic Diva's Blue Oasis) successfully raised roughly $6,000 to pay the cost associated with a freedom of information request of emails between the Palin administration and local talk show host and close friend of Palins, Eddie Burke. The emails were due to be released in a few days.
    In addition, Palin has come under intense criticism from various groups for everything from ignoring state business to hiding state business.
    In rural Alaska, native leaders have been furious at Palin's inability to focus on their challenges. Meanwhile, last Sunday, Juneau Economist and reporter Gregg Erickson wrote a scathing op/ed about how the Palin administration had become the most secretive administration in his twenty nine years of watching state government.

All of this combined with the brutal press this week probably pushed Palin over the edge.

A ten thousand word article written by Todd Purdham in Vanity Fair, outlining Palin's behavior on the campaign trail with John McCain set political toungues wagging and launched a fierce debate inside the Republican Party.
    On the front page of this morning's Anchorage Daily News was an article detailing how Palin forced out one of her top health officials because the official found it difficult to publicly represent Palin's belief on social policies when the science and data clearly showed the governor to be wrong.

While negative press and administrative disagreements are common and don't typically make politicians resign, Palin must see something coming on the horizon that is far more threatening.

In a statement released by her office, Palin said "Once I decided not to run for re-election, I also felt that to embrace the conventional Lame Duck status in this particular climate would just be another dose of politics as usual, something I campaigned against and will always oppose."

"It is my duty to always protect our great state. With that in mind, my family and I determined that it is best to make a difference this summer, and I am willing to change things, so that this administration, with its positive agenda, its accomplishments, and its successful road to an incredible future, can continue without interruption and with great administrative and legislative success," she said.

However with sixteen months still remaining in her terms and much of her agenda still unfinished, including getting a deal to build the Alaska Natural Gas Pipeline, this is hard to believe.

In addition, Palin's resignation means that the new Lt. Governor will be the commissioner of the Department of Military and Veterans Affairs. This again shows either Palin's move is one driven by necessity to get the hell out of Dodge or a self serving move without considering the consequences to her constituents.
    The bottom line is that there has to be something major that forced Palin to bail out with sixteen months left in her term.

Something so big and so damaging that she feared dealing with it in the public arena.
    There is no question that since her return to Alaska from the national stage Palin has been distracted. From her press statements to her tweets, everything has been targeted towards a national audience far beyond the boundaries of Alaska.

But politics being politics, you don't quit mid-term if you hope to have a future at a higher and more pressure filled level (i.e. running for president).

Good luck and God bless.
    Palin Resigns: Exit stage right | AndrewHalcro.com

For some reason, I doubt that an IRS scandal would get Palin to suddenly resign. She's so deluded and egotistical that she ALWAYS thinks she's right and I can't see her giving up the Gov. position for something like that, no matter how big it may be. She'd continue on saying she was innocent/ it was all a big misunderstanding while she fought the whole thing, just like she's done with the ethics complaints.

But the one thing that Palin is DEEPLY invested in is her public image. I think that only a really dirty, personal scandal could make her resign, and leave politics altogether. Something like someone REALLY has the goods on Trig's parentage / Palin has some double-life whopper of a secret that is about to come out.

It seems like it has to be something that would hit her ego and completely break down her whole holier-than-thou hockey mom Christian Republican image.

Quote Originally Posted by Cali View Post
    For some reason, I doubt that an IRS scandal would get Palin to suddenly resign. She's so deluded and egotistical that she ALWAYS thinks she's right and I can't see her giving up the Gov. position for something like that, no matter how big it may be. She'd continue on saying she was innocent/ it was all a big misunderstanding while she fought the whole thing, just like she's done with the ethics complaints.

But the one thing that Palin is DEEPLY invested in is her public image. I think that only a really dirty, personal scandal could make her resign, and leave politics altogether. Something like someone REALLY has the goods on Trig's parentage / Palin has some double-life whopper of a secret that is about to come out.

It seems like it has to be something that would hit her ego and completely break down her whole holier-than-thou hockey mom Christian Republican image.
    No, not the "IRS scandal" the "Dairygate" scandal. I'm telling you, it's going to be big when it hits. Palin wouldn't resign if she wasn't scared about something big hitting. Public image doesn't cut it. She would just lie and lie anyway.

No, not the "IRS scandal" the "Dairygate" scandal. I'm telling you, it's going to be big when it hits. Palin wouldn't resign if she wasn't scared about something big hitting. Public image doesn't cut it. She would just lie and lie anyway.
    I know- that's why I don't think its solely Dairygate or IRS. For those, she can blame those on the 'gotcha media,' the mean old Democrats, David Letterman and everyone else.

But the one thing she CANT blame on someone else or lie about has got to be something about who she actually is. Something like, a detailed and unquestionable proof that she orchestrated this whole scheme with Trigg, and violated some massive federal laws in the process. Or that she's secretly having a lesbian affair with her assitants daughter and they were caught dealing cocaine or- I don't know. Maybe something like that COMBINED with the Dairygate / IRS scandal. But defintely something personally sordid and dirty, plus illegal.

Oh! The writer who broke the story on HuffPo has been Twittering. Check this out:
    1. @bethlaurie1 federal.
    2. oh, sheesh! There are some strange things a foot. I'm tracking them down...scandal separate, watching damage control. it's not working.32 minutes ago
    3. I am feeling so mavericky! REALLY!
    4. I COMPLETELY AGREE! RT @mbrownerhamlin: RT @ewerickson Sarah Palin will never run for elected office again.about 1 hour ago from TweetDeck
    5. yes, I know the nature of the scandal. Timing, baby, timing.about 1 hour ago
    6. listened to the speech again - damage control. Oh, this is going to get messy. Scandal coming in 3 -2-...about 1 hour ago
    7. listening to the word salad of Palin's speech. She is on repair for something coming. alsoabout 3 hours ago
    8. The Iceberg is about to be revealed or she would still be there. #palinabout 3 hours ago
    9. Sarah must be worried about something else coming up to resign. She didn't give Lt. Gov reigns when she ran for VP...about 3 hours ago
    http://twitter.com/shannynmoore

EDIT: She was just on MSNBC and said the investigations are 'criminal' and 'federal', and that there is 'another shoe to drop.'

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread Information