Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Sarah Palin resigning; Governor no more, will not run for re-election

Elite Member

The problem with that poll is that they interviewed roughly equal numbers of Democrats, Independents, and Republicans. In reality, more people are Democrats or Independents than they are Republicans.

GOP Party Identification Slips Nationwide and in Pennsylvania - Pew Research Center

Over the first four months of 2009, the Republican Party has continued to lose adherents. Interviews with over 7,000 respondents nationwide so far this year found fewer than a quarter (23%) of the combined total identifying themselves as Republicans. This is down from 25% in 2008, and from 30% in 2004. In total, the GOP has lost roughly a quarter of its base over the past five years.
    But these Republican losses have not translated into substantial Democratic gains. So far in 2009, 35% of adults nationwide identify as Democrats, about the same as in 2008 (36%). While GOP identification has fallen seven points since 2004, the Democrats have gained only two points over that period. Instead, a growing number of Americans describe themselves as independents, 36% in 2009 compared with just 32% in 2008 and 30% in 2004.

More from Alaska:
    Weekend Comment: Please leave already!

July 11, 2009: The prospect of having to spend the next two weeks listening to the tortured rhetoric, fabrications and the misquotes from famous Americans that have become synonmous with Alaska's soon to be ex-governor, may just be too much for any sane person to handle.
    While Alaskan companies have been promoting stay-cations as a way to drive local business this summer to offset a slow tourist season...Palin is doing her best to promote stay-away-cations until she wraps up her painfully long exit.

From Palin's fabricated budget impacts caused by ethics complaints and misquotes of military generals and news anchors alike to the fingernails on chalkboard sounds of Mouthy Stapleton...
    ...now is a great time to find an old abandon Fairbanks city bus in Denali National Park and pull a Christopher McCandless.
    Today in the Fairbanks Daily News Miner, Managing Editor Rod Boyce pens a column with brilliant personal insight about just how much of a shallow sideshow the governor's goodbye lap around the political track has become.

"And if she really is a “media victim,” shouldn’t she be lambasting the editors and journalists directly, in face-to-face meetings or in on-the-record interviews? That’s what other politicians and state leaders regularly do."

"I desperately would like the governor to tell me I’m wrong on this, to rip me apart on this or on any other matter — like her two immediate predecessors, Republican Frank Murkowski and Democrat Tony Knowles, would do without blinking. They had no difficulty finding time to come here and sit for an honest, tough discussion of the issues confronting Alaska. And they, not their aides, would do the talking."

Rod Boyce - Managing Editor, Fairbanks Daily News Miner 7/11/09
    Weekend Comment: Please leave already! | AndrewHalcro.com
    Palin dodged open discussion

Governor declined many opportunities

Rod Boyce, Managing Editor
    Published Saturday, July 11, 2009

FAIRBANKS — I had written a column that was just about ready for publication when Gov. Sarah Palin derailed it last week with news of her resignation. The column was about my frustrating and fruitless campaign of the past seven months to have the governor speak to the editorial board of the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner.

I figured the column wasn’t needed any more. Sarah Palin will soon be out of office, 18 months ahead of schedule and of her own choosing, so why bother. And on Monday came the final word, after half a year’s worth of my hopeful cajoling, that Gov. Palin wouldn’t have anything to say to us. “That is correct — she will not be meeting with the board. I apologize for all of the back and forth,” came the e-mail from her spokeswoman.

And yet I have been reading these past several days that Sarah Palin is alive on Twitter and Facebook, maligning the media in her tweets and posts. She won’t meet with us, but she sure will bash us.

She did it again on Friday, posting on Twitter in advance of her appearance on KFAR radio in Fairbanks: “Candidly, I love radio vs some newspapers bc... ‘Most newspapermen by definition have to be liberal; if they’re not, by my definition, they can hardly be good newspapermen.’ W. Cronkite”

Of course, the governor has misinterpreted the quotation for her own use. Cronkite, in the 1973 interview with Playboy magazine, used the word “liberal” as meaning open-minded.

PLAYBOY: Implicit in the (Nixon) administration’s attempts to force the networks to “balance” the news is a conviction that most newscasters are biased against conservatism. Is there some truth in the view that television newsmen tend to be left of center?

CRONKITE: Well, certainly liberal, and possibly left of center as well. I would have to accept that.

PLAYBOY: What’s the distinction between those two terms?

CRONKITE: I think the distinction is both clear and important. I think that being a liberal, in the true sense, is being nondoctrinaire, nondogmatic, noncommitted to a cause — but examining each case on its merits. Being left of center is another thing; it’s a political position. I think most newspapermen by definition have to be liberal; if they’re not liberal, by my definition of it, then they can hardly be good newspapermen. If they’re preordained dogmatists for a cause, then they can’t be very good journalists; that is, if they carry it into their journalism.

The governor seems to be offering the misinterpretation of the Cronkite quote as a reason for no longer granting open-ended interviews to us or most any other news outlet. Her Twitter post is another attempt to divert attention from the real reason she won’t talk, especially since it’s no secret that this newspaper’s editorial page is generally viewed as being more in line with Republican ideas and therefore can reasonably be assumed to be somewhat friendly terrain for a Republican governor.

The real reason Gov. Palin won’t talk is because we and others she won’t talk to actually ask questions that challenge her ideas. She can’t take criticism or anything close to it.

Having someone question her ideas doesn’t fit with her simple media plan: Try to get good news out without risking damage to her national image that could come by talking to reporters and editors about not-so-good news. And when negative news does come out, claim to be a victim of biased coverage by the “mainstream media.”

She cries foul but has done nothing to rectify whatever wrongdoing the media has done to her or that she perceives the media has done to her. What she has done is easily find time for flattering national photo shoots and to talk with non-threatening magazines or commentators on friendly conservative national or local radio and television shows.

Among Alaska media, The Alaska Journal of Commerce noted in a June 19 editorial that “A quick, albeit unscientific survey of the state’s larger media outlets suggests that in the past six months there have been few — if any — one-on-one interviews where more than a couple of targeted questions were answered. Meanwhile, there were at least four exclusive interviews with national broadcast media within a few days of the Exxon/TransCanada (gas pipeline) announcement.” The word from the Anchorage Daily News is that she hasn’t spoken to that newspaper’s editorial board “for a long time.” As for her resignation, she invited some national news networks to Dillingham, gave them 10 minutes each on the beach, and stuck to the same talking points in each of those interviews.

For nearly seven months I have tried, with various degrees of effort, to get the governor to speak with the editorial board of the Daily News-Miner. The last time she appeared in our office was in December for a session consumed largely by comments from people accompanying her. She displayed the same reluctance to talk in an earlier session, preferring instead to ask those around her to answer questions.

I desperately would like the governor to tell me I’m wrong on this, to rip me apart on this or on any other matter — like her two immediate predecessors, Republican Frank Murkowski and Democrat Tony Knowles, would do without blinking. They had no difficulty finding time to come here and sit for an honest, tough discussion of the issues confronting Alaska. And they, not their aides, would do the talking.

Not Gov. Palin.

I wish the governor would have tried to persuade our editorial board where she thinks we need persuading. I wish we could have had the opportunity to tell her we agree with her on Topic A and disagree with her on Topic B. I wish we could have had a civil, respectful discussion of the things that matter. We’ve had our differences, notably on her Alaska Gasline Inducement Act, her nomination of Wayne Ross as attorney general and her qualifications to serve as vice president and, if necessary, president. But we’ve also given her support when necessary — most recently in her valid criticism that the ethics complaints filed against her are a gross abuse of the state’s ethics law.

I also think Gov. Palin wouldn’t and won’t meet with us, or most any other media outlet that doesn’t express adulation over her, because she wants to preserve her “media victim” image as much as possible.

To regularly interact with editorial boards and to engage in substantive discussions with journalists and commentators who could challenge her ideas could undercut that self-made “victim” status.

And if she really is a “media victim,” shouldn’t she be lambasting the editors and journalists directly, in face-to-face meetings or in on-the-record interviews? That’s what other politicians and state leaders regularly do.

As for me, if the governor had specific complaints with the Daily News-Miner, I didn’t hear about them.

It’s worth noting that she did find time to talk to several News-Miner editors about the issues, for two hours, back in 2006 while she was campaigning for governor.

That seems like a long time ago now.

We haven’t changed much since then, but she sure has.
    newsminer.com • Palin dodged open discussion
    And on rumor patrol:
    Saturday Rumor Wrap Up with your Uncle Gryphen.

After a week of playing phone tag, and having appointments made and broken repeatedly, I finally had a face to face with my favorite source. And it proved rather interesting.

Now because my source is still staying out of the public eye, these revelations will not make it past the rumor stage......yet. But I am hoping that I can get some things on the record with named sources in the near future. Trust me I worked very hard on that.

For those of you who have been wondering how much Sarah Palin was being paid by Harper Collins for her book deal, the figure I was told is a whopping ten million dollars! Of course this includes not just the book deal itself but also all of the promotional duties that go along with it. Talk shows, book store appearances, radio interviews, and so on. This is something that would prove very difficult to do while still saddled with the responsibilities of being Governor of Alaska.

Now do you remember how Sarah is always complaining that she and Todd owe hundreds of thousands of dollars? Well that might in fact be true. But it is not for legal bills. It is for.....shall we say a certain amount of silence. At least that is the "rumor".

By the way Sarah Palin has been discussing the option of resigning with family and close associates since December. Essentially ever since she returned from the campaign trail. It might be educational for all of her supporters to note that while she was actively seeking funds from them she was already looking for the nearest exit.

This is pure conjecture on my part, but I believe that she has NO intention of seeking political office ever again.

And Levi is right, she has been offered a ton of money for a ton of projects. I believe she has had dollar signs in her eyes since she first hit the stage at the national convention.

I don't want to address the kids since they are innocent children. With the exception Bristol who is now of legal age and a celebrity.

Have you ever wondered why she suddenly stopped going around promoting abstinence? Well that is hard to do if you have not been much of a practitioner in the past and are even less of one today. And it is worth noting that certain "relationships" continue to this day.

Remember that big fight I reported between mama Palin and Bristol? I received more confirmation that it did indeed take place. The subject.....a man. And not the one you immediately assume.

There is more but I do not have permission to share it yet. However I do have plans to dig up more, much, much more.

Now to the question of why should we care. Yes Sarah Palin is soon to be the ex-Governor of Alaska. She will no longer be in any position to cause my state and my fellow citizens any direct harm due to her lack of ability or selfishness.

But there are still lies that were told to the American people by this woman which must be revealed. Just like George Bush, Sarah Palin has treated us like ignorant children and the media helped her to do it. So it falls to blogs like this one, and others, to get to the truth behind the lies.

And whether Sarah Palin is still in a position of power or not there are still people who believe every single falsehood that she has put out there and that cannot continue. These people are sending her their hard earned cash donation on the basis that she is a warrior of truth and social change, and in my opinion that is a criminal endeavor which must be stopped.

I hope that this roundup will help satiate your appetite for information. I know you want it all, but there are careful negotiations that have to be concluded first and try to focus on the fact that I AM bringing you information not available in any other place, so please continue to be patient.
    The Immoral Minority: Saturday Rumor Wrap Up with your Uncle Gryphen.

For those of you who have been wondering how much Sarah Palin was being paid by Harper Collins for her book deal, the figure I was told is a whopping ten million dollars! Of course this includes not just the book deal itself but also all of the promotional duties that go along with it.
    If Harper Collins actually pays this idiot $10 million for a book, they deserve to lose as much money as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    If Harper Collins actually pays this idiot $10 million for a book, they deserve to lose as much money as possible.
    Of course they will pay her for a book deal, because there are tons of fucktards that still actually think this bitch is the be all to end all, especially where I am from, and especially southern Baptist Republican women who think this bitch is as close to the second coming as they're going to see in their life. They would line up for a book from Palin.
    (276): Michelle Duggar likes to fuuuuck
    OK, I can't sing, I can't act, I'm dumb, I'm a hillbilly, but I can twerk, so whatever.-Miley Cyrus

Quote Originally Posted by nancydrew View Post
    Of course they will pay her for a book deal, because there are tons of fucktards that still actually think this bitch is the be all to end all, especially where I am from, and especially southern Baptist Republican women who think this bitch is as close to the second coming as they're going to see in their life. They would line up for a book from Palin.
    I'm not wondering why they would pay her for a book, that's to be expected. I'm wondering why they would pay Palin $10 million for a book. Palin may have support from a certain segment of the conservative base, but not enough support to justify a $10 million deal. But knowing Palin she'll take the cash, and won't bother to write the book, which will serve Harper Collins right.

Well, you do have a point there.
    (276): Michelle Duggar likes to fuuuuck
    OK, I can't sing, I can't act, I'm dumb, I'm a hillbilly, but I can twerk, so whatever.-Miley Cyrus

Elite Member

^ Yeah, good article.
    "Oh! I've been looking for a red suede pump!"
    - Marie (Carrie Fisher), When Harry Met Sally

Quote Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
    Yeah, that is a great article. This was my favorite part.

First, because Sarah Palin's celebrity no longer is dependent on her status as Governor. And second, because from the moment she was sworn into office Sarah has demonstrated over and over and over and over again that she has no idea what she's doing. And when she's in over her head, Sarah's instinct is to find a face-saving way to make her way to the nearest door marked "Exit."

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
    Excellent article.
    In December 2002 when Frank was sworn into office, Alaska's election law allowed Governor Murkowski to appoint Senator Murkowski's replacement. Sarah had enough juice to get on the long list of Republicans Frank interviewed. During her interview she came off as vapid and uninformed. But that's not how Sarah saw it. Several weeks later Frank astounded Alaskans by giving his Senate seat to his daughter, Lisa, who had never been publicly mentioned as a candidate for the seat and who had not been interviewed. Sarah, a 38-year-old former small town mayor who had never won a statewide election, reportedly was livid and reportedly never fully forgave Frank, because in her self-absorption she was certain that she should have been the obvious choice.
    Damn! That's one huge ego!

Maureen Dowd's new column in NYT:
    July 12, 2009
    Op-Ed Columnist
    Sweet, Tweet Revenge

By MAUREEN DOWD
    It was only a matter of time, once John McCain joined the 21st century and got himself a Ford Fusion Hybrid, a Facebook page and a Twitter account, that he would reconnect with people out of his past he would rather forget.
    But some people, including the conservative posing on the cover of this week’s Time wearing purple toenail polish, are unforgettable.

And so comes this remarkable exchange of tweets between the erstwhile mavericky twins.

PALIN: @SenJohnMcCain — How the heck are ya, ya big hero?? Long time no hear, pardner. Y did u defriend me on Facebook?

MCCAIN: @AKGovSarahPalin — I needed room for Kissinger.

PALIN: @SenJohnMcCain — Funny! Up here slaying salmon & assisting orphaned moose calves w/ Todd & kids @ Bristol Bay. Need SUPERHUGE favr!!??

MCCAIN: @AKGovSarahPalin — Another one?

PALIN: @SenJohnMcCain — LOL! My publisher, Harpercollins, wants u 2 blurb my book. It wld b rockin’! u + me + hot pix of me = $$$!

MCCAIN: @AKGovSarahPalin — Busy watchdogging Obama, who’s acting naïve with kgb russians and spending like drunkn sailr. Apologies, drunkn sailrs.

PALIN: @SenJohnMcCain — Obama is so uneconomic.

MCCAIN: @AKGovSarahPalin — Warren Buffett says Wall St ripping off govt on stimulus. He says 1st stimulus bill like eating half-tab Viagra & candy.

PALIN: @SenJohnMcCain — First Dude doesn’t need Viagra!!! So, anyhoo, the blurb?

MCCAIN: @AKGovSarahPalin — Hanging with Joe & Lindsey. Was on CSPAN’s Wash Journal, in case you missed it go to my website to watch video.

PALIN: @SenJohnMcCain — Like I have time to watch CSPAN when I’m all over NBC, ABC, CNN, and FOX, u goose!! And my cool Time “Renegade” cover!!!

MCCAIN: @AKGovSarahPalin — Very busy tracking China unrest, Honduras coup, thugs running Burma, protests in Iran. Obama weak-kneed on Iran.

PALIN: @SenJohnMcCain — Whatev. But seriously, I’m riding a really big story up in AK, in case you hadn’t noticed. Me and Jacko rule the news!

MCCAIN: @AKGovSarahPalin — That’s exactly what’s wrong with my former base, the media.

PALIN: @SenJohnMcCain — No need 2 get snippy. Life with u wasn’t so awesome. Vanity Fair says ur BFFs called me “Little Shop of Horrors.”

MCCAIN: @AKGovSarahPalin — I see u still can’t control Levi, who says u quit 2 cash in on the book and TV offers. On Fox, you’d b just another fox.

PALIN: @SenJohnMcCain — Just progressing my bank account. Couldn’t marry rich like some lucky cusses we know.

MCCAIN: @AKGovSarahPalin — Leave Cindy out of this and I won’t tell you how I really felt about antics of “The Real World: Wasilla.”

PALIN: @SenJohnMcCain — I should’ve quit ur campaign when ur team was undermining me, just like Obama WH is doing 2 me now on ethics complaints.

MCCAIN: @AKGovSarahPalin — That’s ridic. You’re more paranoid than Hillary. Quitting isn’t noble. That’s why I’m still fighting nasty earmarks.

PALIN: @SenJohnMcCain — And I hear ur losing on those, old timer. Maybe u should think about quitting.

MCCAIN: @AKGovSarahPalin — Hey, Daffy. I’m running for reelection next yr. Some of us know u have 2 b in govt to “effect change” in govt.

PALIN: @SenJohnMcCain — That’s the old-fashnd thinking that got ur butt kicked. I did all I could 2 get u crowds & drag u across the finish line.

MCCAIN: @AKGovSarahPalin — Peggy Noonan’s right. U r “the most careless sower of discord since George W. Bush” Http://tinyurl.com/ll833p

PALIN: @SenJohnMcCain — I can’t stand her or your pal Mike Murphy, who says my only accomplishment is my “smirking enemies” in media elite.

MCCAIN: @AKGovSarahPalin — U can’t hate the media and b so obsessed with it at the same time.

PALIN: @SenJohnMcCain — The media can too be my frenemy.

MCCAIN: @AKGovSarahPalin — Ur sounding a little cockamamie.

PALIN: @SenJohnMcCain — “Most newspapermen by definition have to be liberal; if they’re not ... they can hardly be good newspapermen” W. Cronkite.

MCCAIN: @AKGovSarahPalin — U might want to make up with Letterman. I did. He’s not a bad guy.

PALIN: @SenJohnMcCain — Y in heaven’s name wld I follow ur example? I’m the pt guard fast breaking for an easy lay up. How bout that blurb, Pops?

MCCAIN: @AKGovSarahPalin — OK, here’s ur blurb: “The Keating Five was nothing compared to the Alaska One. America, I’m sorry.”
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/12/opinion/12dowd.html

^^After reading that Tweet exchange between Palin & McCain it's scary to think how close they both came to the White House.

PALIN: @SenJohnMcCain — Obama is so uneconomic.

Oh, that Tweet exchange seems so real!
    "Oh! I've been looking for a red suede pump!"
    - Marie (Carrie Fisher), When Harry Met Sally

Okay, so Palin does a book. About what? Her misadventures in office? What McCain looks like naked? What a dysfunctional family she's stuck with? Her days as Sarah Heath, Weather Girl? How many moose she can spot on a good day from her hottub? How I Galumphed Thru Five Colleges in as Many States to Finally Obtain My Degree? Is this shit that interesting at this point?

Thread Information