Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Sarah Palin resigning; Governor no more, will not run for re-election

With regard to her "support" among Republicans, they only polled 1,000 people...

WASHINGTON — Sarah Palin's bombshell that she is resigning as Alaska governor actually has boosted her a bit among Republicans, a nationwide USA TODAY/Gallup Poll finds, though it also has dented her standing among Democrats and independents.

Two-thirds of Republicans want Palin, the party's vice presidential nominee in 2008, to be "a major national political figure" in the future. Three-fourths of Democrats hope she won't be.

Independents by 55%-34% would prefer she leave the national stage.

The findings underscore how polarized opinions of Palin were even before Friday's surprise announcement. Seven in 10 polled say their views weren't affected by her decision. Among those whose opinions shifted, Democrats by a 4-1 ratio and independents by 2-to-1 view her less favorably. Republicans are somewhat inclined to see her more favorably.

For independents and Democrats, she's already not their candidate, and with Republicans her support is not based on her record as governor of Alaska," says GOP consultant Alex Castellanos.

The poll Monday of 1,000 adults — including 321 Democrats, 323 independents and 316 Republicans — has a margin of error of +/–3 percentage points for the full sample and 6 points for the partisan subsamples.

Palin's complaints about unfair treatment by the news media resonate with many respondents. Three-fourths of Republicans, more than half of independents and a third of Democrats say coverage of Palin has been unfairly negative.

When it comes to a potential presidential run, the USA TODAY Poll displays Palin's strength in the Republican base and weakness among swing voters, who traditionally decide national elections. Republicans by 71%-27% say they'd be likely to vote for her if she ran for president in 2012, while independents by 51%-44% would not.
    "Don't know what the future holds," Palin said Tuesday on ABC. "I'm not gonna shut any door. That — who knows what doors open?"

Poll: Palin's support still strong among GOP - USATODAY.com

ETA this little tidbit:

Levi Johnston on Palin’s Resignation
    To the surprise of many, Levi Johnston has more than once proved to be the most level-headed person in the room when it comes to many of the trials and tribulations of Sarah Palin and her daughter Bristol. So it’s interesting to hear what he has to say. Remember that Levi says he was living with the Palin family from early December through mid-January. They say he wasn’t. He says he had all his stuff there and slept there. They say he wasn’t living there. He says, yeah…whatever.

Levi decided to pipe up today and give us the reason he thinks she qui….”stepped down.” According to his attorney Rex Butler, people want to know the real reason, so Levi decided to give his take. So, what does Levi think is the real reason for the resignation? Money.
    He claims he heard the governor several times say how nice it would be to take advantage of the lucrative deals that were being offered, including a reality show and a book.

“I think the big deal was the book. That was millions of dollars,” said Johnston, who has had a strained relationship with the family but now says things have improved.
    It is interesting to learn Levi is working on a piece of fiction while honing his acting skills,” Palin family spokeswoman Meghan Stapleton said in an e-mail to The Associated Press.
    So much for things “improving.” Is it actually possible to use venom to write an email? Apparently she tries.
    And wait a minute…..(screechy brake noise)…. Did he say a reality show? Sarah Palin? Now that’s something I’d like to see. Strangely, Johnston himself is in talks about his own reality show, and his own book deal. Please, just not Meg.
    Last edited by Belinda; July 10th, 2009 at 07:33 AM.

Elite Member

Default re

Her popularity in the GOP is not that important (though it proves what retards some people can be). The thing is, if she runs for national office independents, dems, and moderates will be up in arms to vote against her.

If Palin did a reality show, she'd just quit halfway through the first season because the critics were being mean to her.

What I really dont get is why Palin & her moron feel the need to answer every single person who says anything about her - it is the dumbest strategy in the world. PR people should not use sarcasm - Stapleton sounds like a fucking idiot. If the only reply you can come up with is snark, that's a clue to let it go...do they think that the "public" thinks that Levi is the family spokesperson? In fact, all they do with replies like Stapleton's is give creedence to whatever the person has said - including Levi Johnston.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

^ Exactly. She doesn't understand the definition of the high road and the concept of having a bit of mystery.

^They're too dumb for that apparently. That and fucking insecure. Unless they really ARE scared of Levi's book and this is how they're positioning themselves; although, I don't think they're this smart.

Also this from another Alaskan:
    So if Palin cannot "support others who seek to serve, in or out of office, for the RIGHT reasons" as she claimed she wanted to in her resignation speech, then just WHAT is she planning to do?

Is Levi Johnston right about it being all about the money?

Highly doubtful

Or is my friend Leah L. Burton closer to the truth when she talks about Palin and Christian Political Dominionism?

Or is all of this a bunch of bullshit and the truth simply that she is aware of the impending investigations that would have derailed her career and wanted to get out in front of them?

I am still firmly in this last camp. EVERYTHING I have heard leads me to believe she is REACTING to something rather than planning to DO something.

But one thing is for sure. She is certainly NOT going to be able to revitalize the Republican party. And anybody who thinks she can has been living under a rock for the last four months.
    The Immoral Minority: Republican candidates say "Thanks, but no thanks" to campaign assistance from Sarah Palin. Oooh that's got to hurt!

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    What I really dont get is why Palin & her moron feel the need to answer every single person who says anything about her - it is the dumbest strategy in the world. PR people should not use sarcasm - Stapleton sounds like a fucking idiot. If the only reply you can come up with is snark, that's a clue to let it go...do they think that the "public" thinks that Levi is the family spokesperson? In fact, all they do with replies like Stapleton's is give creedence to whatever the person has said - including Levi Johnston.
    In Caribou Barbie's world she can slam everyone else on the planet, but if you say one mean thing about her then she climbs up on the cross and plays the martyr.

Yup King - which is what really pisses me off about her "you wouldn't say that if I were a man" crap because she creates it all herself and is so phony.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    In Caribou Barbie's world she can slam everyone else on the planet, but if you say one mean thing about her then she climbs up on the cross and plays the martyr.
    Exactly. Always pulling the victim card yet she can spew some really mean/rude stuff herself about people.

Hypocrisy at its finest.

Hi, Belinda!

Do we STILL not know why she quit?? I'm behind on this story.

No, Cali, we don't. She hasn't said anything and nothing else has come out.

^^ thanks! and that's just great. She's gonna milk this for ages.

Quote Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
    I don't know how she received her degree, but I do know that it seems flaky to me the amount of times she changed schools. Hell, we all know people that have stayed at the same school and just changed their major 3 or 4 times and we consider those people flaky. It makes me suspicious that she was barely passing and on the verge of flunking out, so she kept transferring to schools with lower standards until she finally found one where she could wink at or sleep with a dean who would sign off on a degree. But that's just speculation.
    The ONE and only time I'll defend Palin: I've transferred to 5 different schools myself, but it was because of health problems. I started out at school 1(community college), got sick, moved back to my home state. Got better, moved back to the state I was attending school, but enrolled in a different community college. Got sick again, moved back to home state, then enrolled in a university in my home state. Decided to change majors, and returned to the same state to go to a specialized university for my AA, where I graduated. Then I stayed in the state and went to a better school and got my BS.

I guess it is a bit different though, because 1) health problems, and 2) I had an upward trend from community college, to state university, to specialized college for AA, to prestigious uni for my BS.

I'm just saying... things happen. But still, IMO, she probably got her degree off the back of a crackerjack box for all the intelligence she shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    I always wondered where Palin actually graduated from. It was never clear to me when I read about the 5 or 6 colleges she attended. I can't recall reading that she got her degree from ______ university.
    Wiki says she graduated from the University of Idaho. And lol, look what HuffPo dug up- here we have Sarah in her dorm at University of Idaho in a t-shirt that says 'I may be broke but I'm not flat busted!':

Keep it classy Palin.

More about Palin's $2 million figure not adding up:
    It doesn't all add up to $1.9 million

Posted by Alaska_Politics
    Posted: July 10, 2009 - 11:03 am

From Sean Cockerham in Anchorage –

There is some double counting and other apparent issues with the Palin administration spreadsheet outlining $1.9 million in state costs for ethics complaints, public records requests and lawsuits.

The administrative director in the governor’s office, Linda Perez, conceded that some costs were counted twice and said “the total cost is overstated by $26,849.” She said she missed that the Department of Law’s updated numbers included costs that were already counted.

“It was my error…mea culpa,” said Perez, who has worked for governors of both parties since the 1980s.

Perez said she’s going to ask the Department of Law about some other puzzling parts of the spreadsheet, including a line item that says 0.3 attorney hours added up to $10,063 in costs. That would add up to an attorney billing of over $30,000 an hour, and Perez said the flat billing rate the state uses for its attorneys is $121.98 an hour. Perez said she would check and see what costs beyond the staff time went into that calculation of over $10,000 in costs.

There are also discrepancies between two pages provided by the administration detailing attorney hours on ethics complaints. For example, one sheet lists 119.4 attorney hours adding up to $14,564.41 for work on an ethics complaint, but the other page says it was 13.3 attorney hours adding up to almost the same amount, $14,565, for work on that same “Troopergate” related complaint.

Perez said she'll check with the Department of Law on this.
    Questions have also been raised about the costs listed for the governor’s office in dealing with this stuff.

Perez said the initial costs for the governor's office through March 24 added up to $315,268 for 4,488 staff hours for 49 employees. That equals $70 an hour at 90 hours average work for those employees. She said the updated cost adds $110,281 through June 23, representing 1,285 additional staff hours spent by 29 employees. That's an average rate of $86 an hour.

Perez said that doesn’t mean governor’s office employees are being paid an average salary of $85 an hour.

She said those figures don’t reflect just the salary they get, but also their benefits and other costs the stay pays to employ them.

“For every $10 in payroll I’ve got $3.35 employer costs plus health insurance on it…. This ranges everywhere from an intern I hired at $10 an hour up to the hourly cost for John Katz (the director of the governor’s Washington, D.C., office. She said the cost for Katz is almost $118 an hour including employer costs.

Alaska blogger Mel Green has been going through spreadsheet issues in detail over the past few days. It's also attracted the attention of Mako Yamakura, a blogger with the Detroit News.
    Alaska Politics Blog : It doesn't all add up to $1.9 million | adn.com

Another ethics complaint filed against Palin:
    Friday, July 10, 2009

How many ethics complaints have been filed against Sarah Palin? Well as of today it is a whopping 18! Sanford and Ensign are lightweights!

Longtime political activist Ray Ward has filed the 18th ethics complaint against Governor Palin. Ward claims Palin has been paid for radio and television interviews dating back to just after she lost her vice-presidential bid.

Palin's attorney, Thomas Van Flein, tells CBS 11 News the allegations are "categorically false," and says it fits a pattern of harassing and false ethics complaints.
    You know what that means don't you? It means they are absolutely true!

Every day is "opposite day" with Van Flein.

The governor cited ethics complaints as a major reason she was resigning, saying they were distracting the state's agenda from progressing and had cost taxpayers $2-million.

The state personnel board has thus far vindicated the governor in fifteen complaints.
    It will be interesting to see if they are still willing to sweep this one under the carpet with her leaving office. Come on Personnel Board! It is time to "man up"! After all, what have you got to lose?
    One complaint was founded, and the governor repaid the state for her children's travel expenses. Our partners at the Anchorage Daily News are reporting the governor's office has admitted their math was not correct in saying the ethics complaints cost the state $2-million.
    You're kidding? You mean those numbers were not accurate? Stunned! That's what I am, stunned!
    Let's not forget that Dennis Zaki said there would be three more ethics charges and an IRS investigation. This is the second ethics charge filed since he made that claim. Does anybody doubt the validity of his predictions now?

Posted by Gryphen at 2:32 PM
    The Immoral Minority: How many ethics complaints have been filed against Sarah Palin? Well as of today it is a whopping 18! Sanford and Ensign are lightweights!

The comment made by Dennis Zaki a couple weeks ago:
    Three more ethics complaints against Palin in the works
    AlaskaReport has learned that at least 3 more ethics complaints will be filed against Sarah Palin in the near future. Of course her cronies at the Personnel Board will probably sweep them under the rug - but at least the crimes will have a light shined upon them before they do... Also - A long simmering embezzelment/IRS scandal is still being looked at by the feds. Stay tuned...

More about Palin's "millions" excuse:
    Palin’s Millllions - Take 2. A Closer Look.

10 07 2009
    As we all know, one of Sarah Palin’s reasons for stepping down had to do with, as Palin said, ”that huge waste that we have seen with the countless, countless hours that state staff is spending on these frivolous ethics violations and the millions of dollars that Alaskans are spending, that money not going to things that are very important, like troopers and roads and teachers and fish research.”

When pressured to explain exactly where this “million of dollars” came from, Palin’s office released a .pdf file of the breakdown of it’s claim of $1.9 million that should have been going elsewhere. (insert sound effect of someone pedaling backwards really fast)
    Most of it is a per-hour accounting of the time state employees, such as state attorneys, have spent working on public records requests, lawsuits, ethics complaints, and issues surrounding the Legislature’s ”Troopergate” investigation last summer of Palin.

”Is it a check that we wrote, no, but is it staff hours, yes,” Sharon Leighow, spokeswoman for Palin, said of the expenses related to state employee work. Those state employees would have been paid regardless.
    Ahhh. So it’s not an actual check. It’s “staff hours.”

First of all, just to be clear, unlike The White House, the state of Alaska does indeed have a “Department of Law.” And in order to understand how truly outlandish Palin’s claims are, we’re going to need to take a mental field trip into that very Department of Law, pull back the curtain and take a peek at how that all works. So everyone stick together and follow me.

If something comes up that requires attention it is billed to various departments and state agencies by the Department of Law, depending on what the matter is all about. Attorneys, then, are funded by different departments or agencies. Each attorney in the civil section is responsible for billing his or her time, so that a bill goes to the client agency each month. The funds are essentially transferred between agencies and the Department of Law. One of the clients on the client list is the Governor’s Office. So, if the Governor’s Office has received a larger-than-normal legal bill, the work that the attorneys would otherwise be billing another agency or Department is instead being billed to the Governor’s Office.
    The biggest chunk of that, more than $600,000, represents hours state lawyers spent reviewing requested information. They decide how much to release. Records can be withheld for reasons like an individual’s privacy or for “deliberative process” — an executive privilege generally limited to the governor and close advisers, covering internal deliberations before a decision is made.
    That’s how the governor’s office explained it to the Anchorage Daily News. It’s all those hours of reviewing information from records requests that really added up.

From what I hear from those in the know, no attorney was pulled off another matter in order to do public records requests. There is one attorney named Dave Jones who is running the request issues, and then whatever attorneys are sifting through the emails respond to those requests. The sifting in the case of ethics complaints was handled on a volunteer basis by attorneys from various sections within the Department of Law, who were otherwise slow. In other words, the attorneys who were doing the public records requests would have been paid the same amount of money to sit around looking for stuff to do, had they not been working on the records requests. The only difference is that instead of the amount being billed to another department, it was billed to the Governor’s Office. So far there have been no indications that any attorney stayed late or worked a weekend because of the public records requests, or where something else wasn’t properly handled because of the public records requests. Presumably, if the sifters had anything more important to be doing, they wouldn’t have volunteered.

And interestingly, page 2 of the .pdf document lists the time and costs for Assistant Attorneys General Bockmon and Jones. Judy Bockmon is the state’s ethics attorney. Handling ethics inquiries is her JOB. So, by working on these ethics issues, she was not doing anything outside of her normal job description, and again, she would have been paid the SAME amount regardless of whether there were 15 complaints filed, or if there were none. Dave Jones represents the Governor’s Office as part (if not all) of his job. Here again, he would be paid the same amount regardless of how many ethics complaints there were, or if there were none. By listing their time on this cost breakdown, the Governor’s Office is implying that they were doing something unusual or special that required all these extra funds that could have been spent elsewhere, which is flatly untrue. They were simply doing their assigned job, much like an attorney in the environmental section would represent the DEC if something happened that caused a flood of litigation against it, and therefore “increased” bills.

So, if the “millions of dollars” is given as a reason, then debunked, then spun by the administration and then debunked again, we are left with the same question we had while we stared slackjawed last week watching the governor announce she was going to quit her job.

Why really?
    The Mudflats » Palin’s Millllions - Take 2. A Closer Look.

Thread Information