Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Sarah Palin resigning; Governor no more, will not run for re-election

Elite Member

Here's an article on Palin's schizophrenic college experiences:

Sarah Palin's college daze. - By Timothy Noah - Slate Magazine

On the reporting front, I'm doing what I can to prod MSM journalists to actually do their jobs. But they refused all last fall and it's uphill work now. It may require a real news organization, like TMZ or the Daily Show. If Palin were a Democrat, the Drudge Report would have cracked this open last September. So we wait.
    All of this, but bolded most of all, is sad, funny, and true.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Chuck Todd was saying on the news that by resigning it also free's Palin up to start raking in some big money with speeches and maybe a TV/radio job. Y'know, now that she doesn't have that pesky distraction of running a state keeping her from media-whoring full-time.

Personally, I hope Palin gets a TV job at Fox News. I would watch it just for the laughs.
    HAven't finished the thread yet but this was my first thought too. She doesn't strike me as someone who is interested in running a country. She does strike me as a chick who wants all the money and fame someone else can give her. So it wouldn't surprise me if she's bailing just to make some cash.
    Last edited by Bellatheball; July 9th, 2009 at 01:14 PM.

There is no way this woman is going to be happy staying up in AK shooting wolves anymore. She's going to rear her head like Putin.

"Department of Law"

Watch out, Dave! She'll sue you for telling jokes!

^^It's amazing how somebody who didn't know the job description of the VP and thinks the White House has a 'Department of Law' could ever make a serious run at the Presidency.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellatheball View Post
    HAven't finished the thread yet but this was my first thought too. She doesn't strike me as someone who is interested in running a country. She does strike me as a chick who wants all the money and fame someone else can give her. So it wouldn't surprise me if she's bailing just to make some cash.
    I think the cash played a role, but something else is going on, too. Because Palin's resignation was too sudden and unorganized.

The conservative base hasn't left Palin. Not surprising:

Sarah Palin: Out, but not down
    You betcha Sarah Palin is still a viable presidential candidate! Even though the governor of Alaska dropped the bombshell last week that she was leaving her post, a new USA TODAY/Gallup Poll finds that her support among Republicans is still strong. In fact, her resignation seems to have even slightly boosted her among GOP constituents.
    According to the nationwide poll, close to 67% of Republicans want Palin to be "a major national political figure" in the future. And 71% of them say they would likely vote for her if she ran for president in 2012.

Top Republican consultant Mary Matalin called Palin's move "brilliant," and conservative talk-show host Bill Bennett went on CNN to discuss the surprisingly high number of viewers who called into his show in support of Palin's decision.
    "To political pros [Palin's resignation] may be a problem. To the base, I'm not sure it's a problem at all," Bennett told CNN.

And Bennett may be exactly right. Just as Republicans as a whole are unfazed by Palin's move, the poll shows Democrats and Independents are as unhappy with her as they were before, with 75% of Democrats and 55% of independents preferring she leave the national stage altogether.

According to USA TODAY, public opinion of Palin has become so polarized that her surprise announcement did little to change anyone's feelings: Seven out of 10 people say their views weren’t affected at all.
    GOP consultant Alex Castellanos seconded Bennett's sentiment. He told USA TODAY:

"For Independents and Democrats, she's already not their candidate, and with Republicans her support is not based on her record as governor of Alaska."
    But what would bring about such stark polarization between the parties?

Some would argue that it was Palin's in-your-face attitude and all-too publicized blunders that ultimately posited her as an inexperienced and unviable candidate. But Palin, in her resignation speech, blamed the media, calling its coverage of her a "superficial, wasteful, political bloodsport."

And Republicans echo Palin's complaints of media mistreatment. According to the poll, 75% of the GOP believes coverage of Palin has been unfairly negative.

Dana Oshiro of ReadWriteWeb.com opines that the Web is also to blame. "It’s the Internet that ignited the tournament of torment," she writes. From viral videos of "Palin drag shows" to ubiquitous photos of Palin Halloween costumes, the ex-governor became the "Internet's comic relief in an environment that might have otherwise been staunch."

Whether Palin has been unfairly portrayed in the media continues to be a hotly debated issue. But one thing seems to be certain: She has established herself as an American media fixture, loved and loathed by either side of the aisle.

First Term Quitters Hall of Fame

9 07 2009
    A number crunching Mudflatter sent the following:
    On a hunch, I reviewed online lists of all the men and women who’ve been elected governor of their state since the year 1900. Pored over them for a few hours. Over 1200 politicians have taken that first-term oath of office. Some soon died in office. Many resigned to accept other positions in government, including Spiro Agnew who was “tapped” by Nixon after being the Governor of Maryland for about five minutes. On a handful of occasions, a first-termer was dragged off to the slammer or impeached. One was incapacitated by a nervous breakdown and one left just as impeachment came knocking on his door. So—how many out of over 1200 just up and quit before the end of their term?

Three: Jim McGreevy, Eliot Spitzer and Sarah Palin.
    The Mudflats » First Term Quitters Hall of Fame

^^It's amazing how somebody who didn't know the job description of the VP and thinks the White House has a 'Department of Law' could ever make a serious run at the Presidency.

I think the cash played a role, but something else is going on, too. Because Palin's resignation was too sudden and unorganized.
    Finally caught up. It does seem abrupt.

I'm one of the many moderate right wingers who can't stand this woman either.

Finally, the discrepancies in Palin's story are getting some traction in the media:
    ADN Confirms: Palin's Story Doesn't Hold Up

The Huffington Post
    | Rachel Weiner

Yesterday evening, Greg Sargent reported on The Plum Line that one of Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin's key reasons for resigning -- that ethics complaints against her were draining the state of money -- appeared to be false.
    In response to our questions, the Governor's office provided us with a detailed breakdown of the millions Palin has claimed has gone to defending against ethics complaints. It does list roughly $1.9 million in expenditures.

But Murrow, the spokesperson, acknowledged to our reporter, Amanda Erickson, that this total was arrived at by adding up attorney hours spent on fending off complaints -- based on the fixed salaries of lawyers in the governor's office and the Department of Law. The money would have gone to the lawyers no matter what they were doing. The complaints are "just distracting them from other duties," Murrow said.

In other words, while these lawyers might have been free to do other legal work for the state, the ethics complaints have apparently not had the real world impact Palin has claimed, and didn't drain money away from cops, teachers, roads and other things.
    The Anchorage Daily News did a thorough analysis and backed up the spokesperson. The ethics complaints took up time that staff could have spent doing other work, but they did not cost Alaska any money.
    "Is it a check that we wrote, no, but is it staff hours, yes," Sharon Leighow, spokeswoman for Palin, said of the expenses related to state employee work.

Those state employees would have been paid regardless.
    A large chunk of that work went into the state personnel board's "Troopergate" investigation, which Palin herself initiated on the grounds that a legislative probe was politicized. Only three of the ethics complaints are still pending, a fact that makes Palin's explanation seem even less sensible.
    ADN Confirms: Palin's Story Doesn't Hold Up

Another theory:

Dan Mirvish

Director, writer, author
    Posted: July 9, 2009 01:53 PM

Does Sarah Palin Fear Upcoming Book Revelations?

Of all the prevailing theories about why Sarah Palin may have quit the governorship in Alaska perhaps the most intriguing has to do with books--her own and others--and the race to finish the definitive Palin narrative. Palin's frustration with "the media" is one of the reasons she cited for resigning, so it stands to reason that she's craving to craft her own lasting legacy.

It's been widely reported that Palin has a multi-million dollar book deal with Rupert Murdoch's HarperCollins. Even with a good ghost writer - and Sarah Palin's journalism degree background - the earliest the book is scheduled to come out is January 2010.

There are other Palin books coming out within the year, but of all of them, perhaps the one she fears the most is the campaign tell-all by self-proclaimed McCain adviser Martin Eisenstadt. Titled I Am Martin Eisesenstadt: One Man's Wildly Inappropriate Adventures with the Last Republicans, the book is due for release at the end of this October through publisher Farrar, Straus, Giroux. You'll recall that Eisenstadt is the controversial pundit who claimed to be the source for the FoxNews story that Sarah Palin didn't know Africa was a continent.

But nearly as obsessed as Palin is about the press, Eisenstadt himself seems equally paranoid about Palin. In addition to countless Tweets, he wrote this on his blog the other day:
    Alaska sources confirmed to me tonight that among other reasons, she was "very concerned" about damaging revelations that will be coming out in several upcoming campaign books, including my own....

Recent articles in Vanity Fair, Politico and CBS News reports (from an upcoming book) accusing her of being a "rogue diva" and tying her to damaging emails about her association with the secessionist Alaska Independence Party continue to hound her. But I can't personally help but wonder if she also became aware of related allegations I make about her in my own upcoming book

While I continue to enjoy a warm relationship with my publisher and editor at FSG, I can't help but wonder if the timing of Palin's resignation is somewhat suspect. Just this very week, FSG started to send out early galleys of the book for review. I have no reason to initially suspect any of FSG's direct employees of leaking the galleys to Palin. But did someone in the media who got an advance copy somehow slip it to a Palin ally? Or maybe an outsourced subcontractor at a print shop? At this point, there's no way to be sure.
    So, will Palin's lawyers clamp down on Eisenstadt and FSG in the same way they recently threatened Alaska blogger Shannyn Moore, or will they rally public outrage against his book like they did with David Letterman? Only time will tell. This much is certain, though: No matter what Sarah Palin's next step is, her campaign legacy will be fought in bookstores and Amazon pages in the upcoming months.

[Full disclosure: There are those who would argue that I am actually one of the co-creators of "Martin Eisenstadt" and co-author of his upcoming book. Eisenstadt, though, has always disputed this point.]
    Dan Mirvish: Does Sarah Palin Fear Upcoming Book Revelations?

Although, I doubt Palin would be spooked by this man's book. She'd just blame the "liberal media."

Quote Originally Posted by Bellatheball View Post
    Finally caught up. It does seem abrupt.

I'm one of the many moderate right wingers who can't stand this woman either.
    I'm going to be pissed if the only reason she quit was because she wanted to get rich.

But as much as I hate Palin, and God knows I do, I'll give her credit for one thing. She made the media take a break from the wall-to-wall MJ coverage.

The conservative base hasn't left Palin. Not surprising:Quote:
    You betcha Sarah Palin is still a viable presidential candidate! Even though the governor of Alaska dropped the bombshell last week that she was leaving her post, a new USA TODAY/Gallup Poll finds that her support among Republicans is still strong. In fact, her resignation seems to have even slightly boosted her among GOP constituents.
    According to the nationwide poll, close to 67% of Republicans want Palin to be "a major national political figure" in the future. And 71% of them say they would likely vote for her if she ran for president in 2012.

Top Republican consultant Mary Matalin called Palin's move "brilliant," and conservative talk-show host Bill Bennett went on CNN to discuss the surprisingly high number of viewers who called into his show in support of Palin's decision.
    "To political pros [Palin's resignation] may be a problem. To the base, I'm not sure it's a problem at all," Bennett told CNN.

And Bennett may be exactly right. Just as Republicans as a whole are unfazed by Palin's move, the poll shows Democrats and Independents are as unhappy with her as they were before, with 75% of Democrats and 55% of independents preferring she leave the national stage altogether.
    Who the hell are these insane Republicans that support her? I must know the 29% that don't want her, and the 23% that want her gone!

^ I wouldn't mind if she were a "major national political figure" too.

A Senate Page.

Elite Member

Jim McGreevy, Eliot Spitzer and Sarah Palin. Great company, Sarah.

Thread Information