Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Sarah Palin resigning; Governor no more, will not run for re-election

From the article...
    Though this is what Bob Dole did in 1996, didn’t he? Dole resigned his Senate seat to run for president. I remember it. I was standing right there when he did it. And I don’t recall anybody accusing him of being a quitter. Or of being pregnant.
    Thou shalt not upset the pooh-bahs.
    Bob Dole quit while running for President. Palin quit while NOT running for Vice President. Not to mention that even if he weren't a male, his age would probably prevent him from becoming pregnant.

This concept of "electability" has sent the election process (even further) over the edge. Palin was catapulted to this by McCain based on good old fashioned T&A to get the GOP to get behind him, not on any qualifications as a leader.

^ But she is a leader. You lead by quitting leading!

It's not because of her: she's a delusional, narcissistic and disturbed person who would be voted off a reality show in the first rounds

Love!

Interesting...

One of the chief reasons Sarah Palin has given for resigning as Governor of Alaska is that her state’s taxpayers are being forced to spend money defending her government against ethics complaints that would otherwise fund teachers, cops, and road repair.

But in response to our questions, a spokesperson for the Alaska governor’s office just gave us new information that casts serious doubt on this assertion. The revelation makes the resignation episode even stranger, and raises fresh questions about the real reasons for her abrupt departure.

During her resignation speech last week, Palin presented herself as a heroic defender of the taxpayer. She said that money being spent on government lawyers to defend against these “frivolous ethics violations” could be “going to things that are very important, like troopers and roads and teachers and fish research.” Palin repeated exactly the same point this week.

But David Murrow, a spokesperson for the Governor, said in an interview that much of this money was budgeted to the lawyers in advance and would have gone to them anyway, even if state lawyers hadn’t been defending against these ethics complaints.
    In response to our questions, the Governor’s office provided us with a detailed breakdown of the millions Palin has claimed has gone to defending against ethics complaints. It does list roughly $1.9 million in expenditures.

But Murrow, the spokesperson, acknowledged to our reporter, Amanda Erickson, that this total was arrived at by adding up attorney hours spent on fending off complaints — based on the fixed salaries of lawyers in the governor’s office and the Department of Law. The money would have gone to the lawyers no matter what they were doing. The complaints are “just distracting them from other duties,” Murrow said.

In other words, while these lawyers might have been free to do other legal work for the state, the ethics complaints have apparently not had the real world impact Palin has claimed, and didn’t drain money away from cops, teachers, roads and other things.
    Similarly, TPM reports that there are only three ethics complaints outstanding against the Palin administration in any case — which, combined with the above, casts serious doubts on one of her chief stated reasons for quitting.

Murrow has not responded to folllow-up questions asking him to explain how this squares with Palin’s claims. We’ll update you if he does.

Key Reason Palin Gave For Quitting May Be False | The Plum Line

If Governor Trainwreck was so concerned about the taxpayers then why did she fight so hard against the stimulus money?

Letterman responds:

Letterman Takes On Palin Resignation: Something I Said? (VIDEO)

It's been a rocky year for Letterman and Palin. He joked about her daughter, she freaked out, he apologized, she still freaked out, he apologized again, she said ok, but 15 people didn't get the message and protested his show anyway.

Last night, Dave took several shots at the soon-to-be ex-governor of Alaska, saying that we know Obama's in Russia cause "Sarah Palin can see him from her house." He said she was trying to blame the media for her resignation, and was currently in a helicopter trying to gun down Wolf Blitzer. In the midst of this, Letterman referenced their feud saying "was it something I said?" After making one more dig at Palin for being more of a beauty queen than a politician (miss congeniality will replace her), he showed two pre-taped packages his staff put together. One, an edit down of her press conference, the other a promo for her latest project.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Letterman's going to be making jokes about her all week, if not longer!

Elite Member

I'm getting lots of emails telling me to move on. I will. But I want to explain why I think the Palin drama is actually important. It's not because of her: she's a delusional, narcissistic and disturbed person who would be voted off a reality show in the first rounds. It's because of John McCain, the Republican establishment and the mainstream media. What happened last fall was a warning sign to all of us about how corrupt and cynical the GOP, McCain and the MSM are. They colluded in such a way that this unstable, erratic, know-nothing beauty queen could actually have been president of the United States. What matters is that all those in on this scam be exposed and their way of conducting themselves be reformed until they stop risking the fate of the country and the world on their own vanities and cowardice.
    Sully's right. The most outrageous part of the Palin mess is that people take her seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    He said she was trying to blame the media for her resignation, and was currently in a helicopter trying to gun down Wolf Blitzer.
    Funny. I bet Sarah thought she scared him out of not telling more jokes about her. Wrong.

Elite Member

Bring on the indictment(s)!!! I really hope they don't make us wait much longer.

Been reading some of those liberal bloggers and comments here and there. Love this one:

I spent 4 years in college and 3 years in law school and I will die before I have a president or vice president who dropped out of 5 schools and finished a BA in Sports Journalism by mail.

Damn straight I’m arrogant. I earned it.

Sarah Palin is an IDIOT. She doesn’t even speak a recognizable language. The only way you could possibly understand her is if you are as stupid as she is.
    I didn't realize Palin finally got her degree by mail. It's amazing to me the arrogance of this woman who thinks she knows enough to run a state, let alone a country.

I personally have a BS and an MS, and took several courses in economics and political science as part of my degree program, and I would never think that I even remotely know enough to run for office.

Another quote ITA with:

I am not afraid of Palin - I am afraid of the ignorance that spawned her and her followers, who are showing all the signs of being a cult. That ignorance is not change, it’s what brought us the Crusades, the Inquisitions, the Holocaust, Jim Crow, 9/11……
    Amen.

^ Great points.

The thing about her that gets me is that she prides herself on being unintelligent. How is that something to be happy/proud of?
    She sounds completely ignorant when she speaks and uninformed (because she is).

Quote Originally Posted by cmmdee View Post
    ^ Great points.

The thing about her that gets me is that she prides herself on being unintelligent. How is that something to be happy/proud of?
    She sounds completely ignorant when she speaks and uninformed (because she is).
    Palin is just part of a larger problem in America. There's a growing segment of society that believes that being 'just mediocre' is okay. And those 'proud to be mediocre' people latch onto the Dubya's and Palin's of the world.

I didn't realize Palin finally got her degree by mail. It's amazing to me the arrogance of this woman who thinks she knows enough to run a state, let alone a country.

I personally have a BS and an MS, and took several courses in economics and political science as part of my degree program, and I would never think that I even remotely know enough to run for office.

I despise Sarah Palin, but I couldn't find a basis for this claim that she graduated by mail. Can anyone help me find a solid source for it?

Personally, I graduated from college in absentia by doing my final four courses at a different college (in a different city/state), so a person could could claim that I graduated "by mail," technically. I mailed in my course information, and the degree was mailed to me.

I think that a person can have little to no college, or a seemingly average college education, and be brilliant. Likewise, sometimes a person can have an impressive degree from a top school and be average or even a moron.

Sarah P could've gone to an Ivy League school and she probably would've emerged from her education the hardheaded, selfish person she is today. But it is crazy that she went to so many schools. I can't understand how that worked.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shinola View Post
    I despise Sarah Palin, but I couldn't find a basis for this claim that she graduated by mail. Can anyone help me find a solid source for it?

Personally, I graduated from college in absentia by doing my final four courses at a different college (in a different city/state), so a person could could claim that I graduated "by mail," technically. I mailed in my course information, and the degree was mailed to me.

I think that a person can have little to no college, or a seemingly average college education, and be brilliant. Likewise, sometimes a person can have an impressive degree from a top school and be average or even a moron.

Sarah P could've gone to an Ivy League school and she probably would've emerged from her education the hardheaded, selfish person she is today. But it is crazy that she went to so many schools. I can't understand how that worked.
    I don't know how she received her degree, but I do know that it seems flaky to me the amount of times she changed schools. Hell, we all know people that have stayed at the same school and just changed their major 3 or 4 times and we consider those people flaky. It makes me suspicious that she was barely passing and on the verge of flunking out, so she kept transferring to schools with lower standards until she finally found one where she could wink at or sleep with a dean who would sign off on a degree. But that's just speculation. It sure would be interesting to see her transcripts. Frankly I don't know why the media didn't look those up. I would bet she did not take any courses in economics at all.

And I do believe that some people are brilliant all on their own without a formal education. However, those people display intellectual curiousity, a characteristic Palin seems to be devoid of. A lot of people are self-educated and would display the breadth of knowledge of issues facing our country well enough to show leadership in a political office. Unfortunately, one of them did not run for VP in 2008.

Likewise, sometimes a person can have an impressive degree from a top school and be average or even a moron
    Would his initials be GWB, by chance?

Quote Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
    Would his initials be GWB, by chance?
    He's the first example that came to mind, yeah.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
    I always wondered where Palin actually graduated from. It was never clear to me when I read about the 5 or 6 colleges she attended. I can't recall reading that she got her degree from ______ university.

Some more bits from Andrew Sullivan:
    09 Jul 2009 12:17 am
    It Has Nothing To Do With Legal Expenses

Like we didn't know that already. First Palin lied by talking about millions of legal expenses incurred by the state; now she's lying by pretending that the salaries of state lawyers wouldn't be paid anyway; and she lied about the major lawsuit costs, which she initiated. At some point, the real reason for her abrupt departure will emerge. But not after the usual avalanche of disprovable lies that she routinely provides.

On the reporting front, I'm doing what I can to prod MSM journalists to actually do their jobs. But they refused all last fall and it's uphill work now. It may require a real news organization, like TMZ or the Daily Show. If Palin were a Democrat, the Drudge Report would have cracked this open last September. So we wait.
    09 Jul 2009 10:25 am
    Nothing Ever Made Sense

Dahlia Lithwick has a brilliant column:
    Once you understand that Palin's only actual message is the importance of loving and understanding Palin, it becomes easier to understand why she quit. The more Palin tries to explain herself, the more we all fail to get her. Every time she goes off script, she makes less sense. No wonder she didn't want to do debate prep or be coached by the McCain communications team. Instead of thanking those who packaged, explained, and spun her, Palin resents them. And because she believes she has been crystal clear all along, she's come to resent us, too. The enduring political lesson of Sarah Palin may simply be that for most of her political career she's been lost in translation, without fully appreciating that only in translation was she ever, briefly found.
    09 Jul 2009 10:33 am
    Only Three Ethics Complaints Pending

So we now know for sure that the cover-lie was another cover-lie. So what was the real reason for the sudden, 3 pm, don't even tell your father-in-law, drag-Todd-back-from-the-peak-of-the-summer-run, meltdown on July 3? Watch for shoes falling from great heights. My neck is sore since last September.
    09 Jul 2009 10:58 am
    She Can Run ...

More news of the weird:
    Palin has been a busy traveler since her bombshell announcement Friday. She has flown at least 2,300 miles - about the distance from Los Angeles to Miami in a journey that has skipped Anchorage and Fairbanks, where nearly half of the state's population resides.
    09 Jul 2009 11:44 am
    They've Come Undone

More reaction to the GOP's mental breakdown:
    Two-thirds of Republicans want Palin, the party's vice presidential nominee in 2008, to be "a major national political figure" in the future. ... Let me get this straight. The woman QUITS because of ETHICS complaints files against her by her CONSTITUENTS and that makes her MORE Presidential?

I knew the GOP was in bad shape but this is absolutely unbelievable.
    Once your party is based on blind religiously-motivated faith, reality ceases to matter.
    09 Jul 2009 11:53 am
    The ADN's Latest

Sargent notes that the ADN has pried another bizarre lie out of the Palin administration:
    Really? Staffers that would otherwise have contributed to police work, road repair, education, and sea research were pulled in to help the governor’s office deal with the legal ins and outs of ethics complaints? That’s the official explanation for Palin’s claim now?
    Well, it will be for the next five minutes. Then another lie will come along. Note in particular that ABC News' Kate Moss did not even question her bizarre claim that she was resigning to save the state "millions" in frivolous lawsuits, a claim that was suspicious on its face, debunked on the blogs and now a proven lie. But on ABC News, stenographers to the powerful, Kate Snow just sat there and let Palin state:
    "We keep proving that every time we win an ethics violation lawsuit, and we've won every one of them. But it has been costing our state millions of dollars. It's cost Todd and me. You know the adversaries would love to see us put on the path of personal bankruptcy so that we can't afford to run."
    No follow-up, just as ABC News point blank refused even to ask questions about the weirdnesses of her pregnancy story in their Charlie Gibson infomercial. When will TV news start being journalism again?

Thread Information