Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Sarah Palin resigning; Governor no more, will not run for re-election

Elite Member

Why are ABC, CNN, etc. not even questioning/verifying her supposed 500K in legal debt when the ADN says there's no way? I feel like even the liberal media has given her a LOT of passes, the Gibson and Couric interviews notwithstanding. They never seem to fact-check anything she says.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Here are her other interviews from this morning.

ABC:
    [youtube]KASKlF2gc8M[/youtube]

CNN:
    [youtube]IfdBvqKMOsc[/youtube]
    Notice she says it was an 'internal process' which is her way of saying she didn't talk to anyone about it prior to making the decision. She is certifiable.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Hit By Ban Bus!

Rumor has it that Playboy offered her 25 Million for a 4 page "spread."

^^ Palin in Playboy. That would be funny.

I love how she keeps ripping 'quitters' and then in the next breath talks about why she's quitting, as if it's two different things. One of my friends said today that Palin must be bipolar.

The heavy breathing version of her resignation speech:
    [youtube]jcUxlGJwjG0[/youtube]
    A few more cartoons:

Last edited by Fluffy; July 7th, 2009 at 10:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    The heavy breathing version of her resignation speech:
    [youtube]jcUxlGJwjG0[/youtube]
    That's freaking me out! She sounds asthmatic.

Buckle Up. The Palin Transition Begins.

7 07 2009
    OK folks, here we go. Rub your palms briskly on your face, and shake out your arms. The Palin transition begins…

So, last February, Sarah Palin appointed someone to be third in line for the governor’s office. That someone was Wasilla High School pal Joe Schmidt, Commissioner of the Department of Corrections. An odd choice for several reasons. But nevertheless, it’s the governor’s prerogative to choose, and he was confirmed by the legislature.

Now presumably, whomever accepts the position of #3 in line to the throne is thinking … “Wow. If anything happens, like the governor deciding to run for president or something, I’ll get to be the Lt. Governor. Pretty cool.” Or something close to that. It seems like the whole point of being asked to be #3, is the promise of perhaps getting to become #2. It’s like when someone is asked to be a child’s godparent, or a vice presidential running mate, or if you’re the runner up in a beauty pageant. The understanding is that if anything happens to the person ahead in line, you will step in. That’s the whole function of the job.

But apparently, Schmidt, now faced with actually becoming #2, has decided to decline. (counting on fingers) So that means that #1 and #3 have now both up and quit. This leaves the state in a bit of a bind. As it stands now, #2 will become #1 on July 25th, leaving no #2 or #3.

What now?

In her exit speech, Palin said Commissioner Craig Campbell of the Department of Military and Veteran’s Affairs would “assume his role as lieutenant governor.” One small problem with that. It isn’t actually his role yet. It would appear that the legislature needs to confirm the pick. And one small problem with that. The legislature is not in session.

What all this means is that there will need to be a special session of the legislature to confirm Campbell. If there’s one possible way that Palin can become even less popular with legislators than she already is, it’s by yanking them out of their hip waders, and recreational vehicles, and the gorgeous Alaskan summer sun, and hauling them back into the capitol for a bunch of meetings.

The other can of worms that this opens up for Palin is that other business can be brought to the floor….. like readdressing the stimulus dollars for weatherization for starters.
    “We all voted to confirm Joe Schmidt and talked with him about filling the duties of lieutenant governor,” [Rep. Beth] Kerttula said. “As much respect as I have for Gen. Campbell, none of us have voted for him.”

[Rep. Mike] Chenault said confirmation may require a special session, if it is not Schmidt.

It is not even clear who would appoint a replacement for Parnell. Until the job becomes vacant with Parnell becoming governor, there’s no job to fill.

Parnell’s chief of staff, Jay Pullins, said they were reviewing the process with the Department of Law now.

“That’s under review, we want to make sure everything is done correctly,” he said.
    Here’s the relevant statute:
    Sec. 44.19.040. Appointment of successor to lieutenant governor.

After taking an initial term of office, the governor shall appoint, from among the officers who head the principal departments of the state government or otherwise, a person to succeed to the office of lieutenant governor if the office of lieutenant governor becomes vacant. The appointment is subject to confirmation by a majority of the members of the legislature meeting in joint session. The person designated and confirmed is next in line for succession to the office of lieutenant governor, subject to the pleasure of the governor. If the person designated and confirmed is removed from or vacates the appointment, the governor shall appoint a successor subject to confirmation in the same manner as the person initially appointed.
    What else comes with a special session, besides cranky legislators, and extra business? A big fat price tag is what. Based on previous estimates, we could expect the costs to run well into six figures. Wasn’t one of the reasons Palin decided to drop the ball and walk off the court “pass the ball” and resign as governor because her presence was supposedly costing the state money? Just askin’.
    The Mudflats » Buckle Up. The Palin Transition Begins.

Palin really just fucks up everything she touches. She's the walking, talking, heavy breathing definition of political poison.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Palin really just fucks up everything she touches. She's the walking, talking, heavy breathing definition of political poison.
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdF2zqs1bxQ[/YOUTUBE]
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
    Why are ABC, CNN, etc. not even questioning/verifying her supposed 500K in legal debt when the ADN says there's no way? I feel like even the liberal media has given her a LOT of passes, the Gibson and Couric interviews notwithstanding. They never seem to fact-check anything she says.
    It's horrendous! Just another reason why I get my news online. Paper and tv journalists just don't do actual journalism anymore.

Also, found this comment on mudflats:
    Conditions have really changed in Alaska in the political arena since Aug. 29, since I was tapped to run for VP. When that opposition research just – those researchers bombarded Alaska — started digging for dirt and have not let up.
    ==========================================
    WOW! Keeping the hotel/motel/restaurant business going in AK, those “opposition researchers” embedded there since last August!!

They’re not gonna find any dirt,” she said. “We keep proving that every time we win an ethics violation or a lawsuit, and we won every one of them. But it has been costing our state millions of dollars. It’s cost Todd and me. You know the adversaries would love to see us put on the path of personal bankruptcy so that we can’t afford to run.”
    ======================================
    What “opposition researchers” have been filing ethics complaints??

What lawsuits??

What “we won every one of them”??….State legislature found Palin guilty AND travelgate cost Palin $10,000 in reparation to the state AND there are some pending And there is a new one for per diem!

What millions of dollars??

In 58 words Palin lied 7 times!! ……………..7 times!! Every 8.2 words is a lie.

I am going to make this my rule of thumb every time she speaks. Every 8.2 words, look for the lie.

I would not have believed it was POSSIBLE for anyone to lie 7 times in such a short amount of words.

That has GOT to be a record, even for her!

WE can’t afford to run??

So Todd IS the defacto governor?
    And also this one on the fishing season in Alaska & Todd:
    Anyone who fishes Bristol Bay will tell you that NOBODY leaves the area on or near July 4. It is the peak of the run. Todd did not fly his plane in to be by her side for “something we have been planing for some time”. I am quite sure the reasons she gave him on the phone had nothing in common with what we, the public, have been told. This was a crises situation, and this was a crises reaction. What the crises is, we may not know for some time. It’s a big deal because absolutely NOBODY, left or right, is buying it.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    [youtube]TdF2zqs1bxQ[/youtube]

More on Palin-gate

The sins of Sarah Palin
    Sarah Palin is a sinner. She has violated several commandments and thoroughly deserves the savage beating that she is now getting from political mandarins and media elites.
    If it were not for one simple fact, I would say she was through in politics. And that fact is that if the Republicans were picking a nominee today, they would pick Sarah Palin.
    No? Don’t believe me? Who would beat her? Tim Pawlenty? Bobby Jindal? Haley Barbour? Mike Huckabee? Mitt Romney?
    All of these men might build credible, attractive, even powerful political operations by 2012. But right now? Today? Today, Sarah Palin would be the winner, because more than anyone else, she has won over the hearts and minds of the Republican rank and file. (And tell me that a Sarah Palin-Newt Gingrich ticket would not set conservative hearts aflutter.)
    She has done this by sinning, however. Let us list just some of the political commandments she has recently violated:
    Thou shalt not surprise the media.
    Palin announces she is quitting her job as governor of Alaska, and she catches everybody by surprise. What is up with that?
    Where were the leaks and the trial balloons? Why weren’t the media alerted so they could have predicted it?
    When you do what the media have predicted, you are “savvy.” You are a “skilled” and “adept” politician.
    If you surprise the media, however, you are “out of control” and “bizarre” and even “egotistical.” (Though I have always believed that accusing politicians of being egotistical is like accusing ballerinas of dancing on their toes.)
    How badly do some in the media take to surprise? Here is CNN’s Rick Sanchez on Palin’s announcement that she was leaving office prematurely. “Is there anything going on with her that perhaps may lead her to want to make this decision, and the one thing that’s still left out there is, hey, could she be pregnant again?” Sanchez asked.
    Could be, Rick. Or maybe it was just her time of month, because, hey, that’s why woman politicians make the decisions they do, right?
    But you can see why some in the media were shocked and dismayed. Imagine abandoning your office! Imagine quitting and deserting the voters who elected you!
    Though this is what Bob Dole did in 1996, didn’t he? Dole resigned his Senate seat to run for president. I remember it. I was standing right there when he did it. And I don’t recall anybody accusing him of being a quitter. Or of being pregnant.
    Thou shalt not upset the pooh-bahs.
    The Republican Party likes to nominate the next guy in line. John McCain in 2008, George W. Bush in 2000 and Bob Dole in 1996 were all the next guys in line. They had “earned” their place in the party hierarchy. (Or, in the case of George W. Bush, his father had earned it for him.)
    Today, it is hard to see who the next guy in line is, but the party mandarins, the pooh-bahs, are agreed on one thing: Sarah Palin ain’t it.

She is a dumb hick, a nobody from nowhere. She hunts moose with a chainsaw from the back of a snowmobile or something. Just listen to her resignation speech. It was not slick or polished or written by somebody else. She appeared to deliver it off the top of her head as if she were a real person. What a doofus!
    Doesn’t she know that the highest form of political communication today is to exactly regurgitate a speech written for you by a speechwriter who has crafted, vetted and polled every phrase, line and word?
    But listen to Palin. Listen to how “rambling” and “disjointed” she is. Once upon a time in American politics, this was known as being “plain-spoken,” but that time has gone. An entire industry of political consultants has grown up to make sure politicians are never plain-spoken.
    Sarah Palin does not get this. Which is to say she is not very bright. (Or else she is pregnant, in which case, I apologize.)
    Thou shalt pander to the few, not speak to the many.
    John Weaver, a former McCain aide, told Adam Nagourney of The New York Times that Sarah Palin now has little chance of ever becoming the party’s presidential nominee.
    “Somebody has to explain to Republicans how this woman is going to expand her support base,” Weaver said. “Yes, she is the darling of a certain element of our party. But it remains to be seen — in fact, it remains rather doubtful she can grow beyond that.”
    She is the “darling of a certain element” of Republicans? It seems to me that with the party collapsing to its most conservative core, that “certain element” could also be called the majority of the Republican Party.
    But maybe that is not enough. It is only a “certain element” of the party that finds her energizing, fresh, tough and willing to stand up to the mandarins and the media. Clearly, Palin must “grow” beyond that base to win over ... whom? The McCain wing of the Republican Party? Find it, and maybe she can win it over.
    Having said all this, I do not think Palin is being crazy like a fox. I don’t think she has planned out what she will do in 2012. I think she has quit her job, is doing what she wants to do and is reserving judgment about her future.
    In doing so, she has made herself an outcast to the mandarins, the pooh-bahs and the elites.
    So how can she go wrong? Roger Simon is POLITICO's chief political columnist.
    The sins of Sarah Palin

Elite Member

I just took a poll about Palin on Yahoo. I'm not surprised of the results so far -- I knew that people that like her would see this as a great move on her part:

Here are the results after I took it:

The former Alaskan governor's resignation gave her a boost among GOP respondents in a recent USAToday/Gallup poll. Two-thirds of Republicans want her to be "a major national political figure" in the future. The announcement further "dented" her standing with Democrats: Three-fourths hope she does not return to a position of power.

What is your opinion of Sarah Palin?
    I have a very positive opinion. I hope she returns to politics. 49%
    I have mixed feelings. She's talented but flawed. 6%
    I have a very negative opinion. I hope she does not return to politics. 43%
    Not sure/No opinion. 1%
    43831 votes

She certainly is polarizing. You love her or hate her - there's no inbetween. This is why she'll never go any further nationally. She can't win the people who are moderates, which is a good amount of the US population.

I thought these points were interesting:
    "Most of my day, and my staff, most of their day and the department of law, a lot of their day on the frivolity," of addressing ethics complaints. Gov. Palin, 7/7/09, www.adn.com

A snapshot of Ms. Palin’s activities, as viewed through her daily schedules for May of this year, suggested a governor largely focused on the ceremonial aspects of her job.

On most days, there were gaps in Ms. Palin’s schedules. On May 6, for example, the only items on her schedule were a 45-minute interview with Runner’s World and a meeting with guests at the governor’s house in Juneau.

On May 22, she had four items listed on her schedule: promotions at the middle school in her hometown, a book dedication ceremony, a girls’ soccer game and an event at which she and her family dropped a puck at a hockey game. 7/5/09
    www.nytimes.com
    With regards to complaining about ethics complaints; isn't that the method how a certain governor came to be known as an ethics crusader?

In 2004 she complained about the GOP Chair doing party work on state time and again in 2005 when she complained that the GOP Attorney General was violating conflict of interests laws. In her early days, Sarah Palin seemed to spell Andree McLeod.

In addition, it's hard to forget the column written by Gregg Ericson, an award winning Juneau government reporter who penned in a column published in the ADN on 6/28/09, "Palin has become the most secretive governor in Alaska's history."

Since extracting information from this administration has been impossible, is there any wonder why government watch dogs have had to resort to filing formal ethics complaints?

Maybe a little openness and transparency from incoming Governor Parnell can save the state some cash and save himself some hassles.

Hey Sean, lets start with releasing that email you sent to Governor Palin on Febuary 1, 2008 at 7:30am with the subject line: Andrew Halcro.

Yeah, the same one that you refused to release by labeling it "Confidential."

Honestly, I know state secrets and I know Andrew Halcro...and Andrew Halcro is no state secret.
    Andrew's Weekly Wednesday Shouts..... | AndrewHalcro.com

08 Jul 2009 12:24 pm
    The Reason She Matters

I'm getting lots of emails telling me to move on. I will. But I want to explain why I think the Palin drama is actually important. It's not because of her: she's a delusional, narcissistic and disturbed person who would be voted off a reality show in the first rounds. It's because of John McCain, the Republican establishment and the mainstream media. What happened last fall was a warning sign to all of us about how corrupt and cynical the GOP, McCain and the MSM are. They colluded in such a way that this unstable, erratic, know-nothing beauty queen could actually have been president of the United States. What matters is that all those in on this scam be exposed and their way of conducting themselves be reformed until they stop risking the fate of the country and the world on their own vanities and cowardice.

McCain knew full well that Palin was unqualified to be commander-in-chief at this period of time; and he knew there was no way she could ever learn enough to do the job. So his decision to pick her was pure cynicism and irresponsibility. The MSM knew full well that there were very serious questions about this unknown person's background, lies, mental stability, and secrecy - but they were so terrified of being called biased they refused to do the proper vetting.

The Republican establishment has long condescended to the pro-life, anti-gay, de facto soclialist, de iure capitalist heartland voters - and they cynically believed they had found a formula to get them to vote for McCain on ground of pure class resentment and sex appeal to older white males. Even sane decent people like Matt Scully and Mark MacKinnon signed up. Peggy Noonan was caught lying on national television. The convention was a surreal implosion. I agree with Richard Cohen this morning:
    Naming Palin to the GOP ticket -- a top-down choice by McCain -- was the most reckless decision any national politician has made in the longest time, and while it certainly says something about McCain, it says even more about his party. It has lost its mind.
    The reason we need to get to the truth of what happened is that these people nearly took this country off a cliff. They need to be held accountable. They need to be removed from their positions of power. We cannot move on until they are. And John McCain should retire from public life. After that decision, nothing he says can be taken seriously on the national or international stage.
    The Daily Dish | By Andrew Sullivan

Thread Information