Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Sarah Palin resigning; Governor no more, will not run for re-election

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    And talks about the investigation rumors too. Is Palin's lawyer going to sue Fox News?
    [youtube]Uvj-Xr0irhE[/youtube]
    Isn't Liz Trotta the same woman who made an Osama/Obama quip on-air?

Call me cynical, but Fox News is just trying to save face now that Palin's really fucking gone off the deep end for good.

New Ethics Complaint Filed Against Gov. Palin - Per Diem for Personal Gain

6 07 2009
    Wasilla resident Zane Henning will be filing an ethics complaint today against soon-to-be-ex-governor Sarah Palin for continuing to collect per diem expenses from the State of Alaska while still living in, and commuting from her own home.

One of the things that will still be getting some attention from government watchdogs, and legislators are possible changes that need to be addressed in the Ethics Act and/or State Law. Sarah Palin may be heading for the exit doors, but Alaska residents will have many governors to come. Like George Bush, who left the door wide open for potential abuses by his successors, we find ourselves looking for the holes in the system that will need to be plugged.

Now, back to Palin’s parting gift.
    “I am charging that the Governor has given herself a raise for personal gain by using the per diem process, which is in direct conflict with Section 39.52.120. (a) of the Alaska Executive Ethics Act,” Henning said. “The State of Alaska provides housing in the state’s capital of Juneau for our Governor, so there should be no extra expense if she desires to stay in her own home. More than a thousand state employees commute from the Mat-Su Valley daily and none of them get to pocket free money.”

The reasons why I am filing this complaint are as follows:

· State travel regulations specify per diem can’t be claimed when travel is less than 50 miles from a state employee’s workplace. Palin works out of her Anchorage office in the Atwood Building which is a scant 45- mile commute from her Wasilla home.

· Palin is exempt from personnel and travel rules which means she does NOT HAVE to collect any per diem ever when working out of her Anchorage office.

· And most importantly, State Statute 39.20.010 distinctly stipulates that the governor’s salary is $125,000. Period. By pocketing this free money, Palin violates Alaska law by giving herself a raise that totals to thousands of dollars.

Attached documents provide proof that Governor Sarah Palin continues to collect per diem as of May 2009.

“The Governor is quitting her job and now more than ever the State of Alaska along with its residents need to be reimbursed for the per diem charges including interest and a fine. Governor Palin is setting precedent for future governors. My hope was that one of our lemming legislators would take a stand and hold Palin accountable for this act, but since that has not happened, it is up to private citizens, like myself, to hold our Governor accountable”, stated Henning.
    The ethics complaint and supporting document is below.

*********WARNING TO JUNEAU RESIDENTS*******
    >BLEEP! BLEEP! BLEEP!<
    Included in the supporting documents is an email from the governor written to Meg Stapleton back in March of 2007 which includes the following:
    “Fyi he’s really going to hit the roof when he gets the message that come end of legislative session i’m joining YOU, and the majority of the people of AK by conducting the state’s business where the people are - where I can access them, and they can access me. (I’ll talk to you and Sharon about this outside of email.) our gasline team, our commerce and revenue people, and so many others, are obviously needed in Anchorage once this session ends…

We’re going to have to fundamentally change some perceptions of WHERE the admin needs to conduct its business in order to stay connected w/ the world outside of Juneau.”
    The Mudflats » New Ethics Complaint Filed Against Gov. Palin - Per Diem for Personal Gain

wow, just heard she is making $150,000 on the washington circuit for speaking engagements @ 20 appearances...Holy moly she just made herself 2 million bucks
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleWasHere View Post
    Democrats React to Sarah Palin's Resignation

That is bloody brilliant.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by cupcake View Post
    wow, just heard she is making $150,000 on the washington circuit for speaking engagements @ 20 appearances...Holy moly she just made herself 2 million bucks
    I've only heard speculation and offers regarding speaking engagements. I haven't seen anything confirmed yet.

The Voice Speaks - Van Flein Whiffs

6 07 2009 The source of all the RUMORS about strange dealings with the Palin family, the Wasilla Sports Complex and the Palin house in Wasilla that was built by Todd Palin and some contractor “buddies” all sourced back to an article last October that appeared in the Village Voice. Well now….the Voice speaks. (I love that) There reflections on the latest Palin flailin’ is an article entitled: Palin’s Team Takes Swing at Voice, Whiffs.
    Sarah Palin attorney Thomas Van Flein spent his July 4 in Fairbanks, Alaska, issuing a four-page statement warning news organizations not to investigate allegations printed by the Voice last October.

Talk about waving a red flag in front of a bull.

Van Flein’s famous client had announced her upcoming resignation as Alaska’s governor the day before, and the attorney wanted everyone to know that Palin’s sudden and unexpected withdrawal had nothing to do with our story, ‘The Book of Sarah‘ [October 7] which, of course, made many wonder just the opposite.
    It’s the exact same phenomenon that happened the week before when Meg Stapleton issues a press release talking about how mean people were about photoshopping Sarah Palin holding a baby with a head that belonged to something other than her baby. In the first instance, it was the image on a local Alaskan blog that published Palin with a conservative radio talk show host head. But after Stapleton’s ridiculous press release, the internets were ablaze. There were photoshops of Palin with a baby Kim Jong Il, a baby Bat Boy, a baby Meg Stapleton, and my favorite, a baby…herself.

This silliness, and Palin’s incredible overreaction to it was gaining traction and about to blow up all over mainstream media sources, and then…. Michael Jackson took over the news cycle, and the news cycle after that and so on. But did the Palin people realize that they’d dodged a bullet? Did they lay low and thank their lucky stars? Did they see the folly in trying to blow up little ol’ local bloggers and looking like giant crazy hysterical bullies? Oh, no.

The Palin PR death spiral was to be rekindled anew just one short week later. After the bombshell resignation, and the weird 4th of July screed from Palin’s attorney which was directed at The Washington Post, The Huffington Post, The New York Times, and yes… another local blogger, the media feeding frenzy has begun again.

Shannyn Moore, the aforementioned blogger has now, courtesy of the Palin numbskullery, appeared on The Thom Hartmann Show, The Ed Schultz Show, The Ron Reagan Show, Alan Colmes, Countdown with Keith Olbermann. She’s also been written up on the Huffington Post, The Wall Street Journal, Politico, Crooks and Liars, Brad Blog, Think Progress, Daily Kos, and dozens of others. The Associated Press has picked up the story, and so has KTUU and the Anchorage Daily News. Way to squash that rumor.

Not only this, but now there are Palin “rumors” cropping up all over the blogosphere and progressive radio talk shows. She might be starting a new career as a fashion designer. Her battery pack might be running out. She might have to meet the mother ship and return to Planet Peep-Toe. She might have just played the state for suckers and just wants to collect her book royalties and speaking fees. And it might mean that there’s something to all these connections after all and will make people even more curious. And no, they probably never saw that coming. It’s like pulling out of your driveway and continuing to hit the same mailbox over, and over, and over. Most people either move the mailbox, or learn to pay attention. Not our Sarah.

The Voice article then goes on to discuss the web of connections between suppliers, contractors, a dentist/godfather, a steering committee, architects, building codes, the Palins, Iron Dog Sponsors and more. It’s like a human crochet square.
    Van Flein dismisses this web of connections — to say nothing of the donations from contractors that he ignores — by saying that “people in a small town appear to know one another, support one another, and take on big projects together.” He says “apparently that’s uncommon in New York.” Actually, it’s quite common here, and journalists here write about these incestuous networks whenever we discover them, just like Alaskan journalists do. And there’s nothing that lawyers who threaten lawsuits without uncovering any substantive errors can do about it.
    The Mudflats » The Voice Speaks - Van Flein Whiffs

The full Village Voice article:
    Barrett: Palin's Team Takes Swing at Voice, Whiffs

By Wayne Barrett in Featured, Follow-up, Wayne Barrett
    Monday, Jul. 6 2009 @ 4:43PM

Sarah Palin attorney Thomas Van Flein spent his July 4 in Fairbanks, Alaska, issuing a four-page statement warning news organizations not to investigate allegations printed by the Voice last October.

Talk about waving a red flag in front of a bull.

Van Flein's famous client had announced her upcoming resignation as Alaska's governor the day before, and the attorney wanted everyone to know that Palin's sudden and unexpected withdrawal had nothing to do with our story, 'The Book of Sarah' [October 7] which, of course, made many wonder just the opposite.

Van Flein threatened to sue Huffington Post, MSNBC, the New York Times and The Washington Post or anyone else who might "re-publish" an Alaskan blogger's suggestion that Palin resigned because she was under federal investigation in connection with "embezzlement" charges (the FBI denies that they are investigating Palin about anything and we never used the word embezzlement or anything like it). These charges, the lawyer explained, "stem from" an investigation "pertaining to the construction of the Wasilla Sports Complex," the $14.7 million hockey rink launched while Palin was mayor of the small Alaskan town. The Voice story, which examined the linkage between Palin and several contractors who worked on the complex, is the only piece cited by Van Flein, though he denounced it as "one of many fabrications about Sarah Palin."

Van Flein's statement -- which derides "modern journalism" for "abhorring" due diligence and factchecking -- is actually longer than the section of the Voice story that examined the connections around the complex, but he does not challenge a single fact actually presented in our story.

While the story detailed large contributions to Palin over the years from several complex contractors, it was the work that at least one of the major contractors did in the same time period on Palin's new house off Lake Lucille that drew Van Flein's pointed ire.

The lawyer does not dispute that Spenard Builders Supply provided thousands of dollars in building material for the house, built in Palin's final year as mayor, 2002, which is also precisely when the complex project was approved. Nor does he deny that Spenard provided supplies for the complex. He just says that Spenard was the Home Depot of Alaska at the time and that everyone got their supplies from the company (we actually described Spenard as the state's "leading supplier of wood, floor, roof" and other materials).

But then, Van Flein points out in the next paragraph that Todd Palin's family "owns a hardware and building supply business" nearby, raising a question we didn't even mention: why not get the supplies from the family business? Van Flein does not deal with the other references to Spenard in our piece -- namely that it sponsored Todd's snowmobile team that won races bringing tens of thousands of dollars to the Palin family and that it subsequently hired Sarah herself to do a statewide TV commercial for the company.

The real point with Spenard, which Van Flein ignores, is that building permits aren't required in Wasilla, making it impossible to determine if Spenard was the only complex contractor to work on the house. The timing of the construction of the house -- it was completed two months before Palin's term as mayor ended -- is what also invites skepticism. She was running for lieutenant governor at the time, her first statewide race -- an odd time to build a house, especially when your husband and constant companion on the campaign trail is acting as "the general contractor," a claim that Van Flein now makes.

Greta Van Susteren asked Todd during the campaign last year if he had built the house and he replied: "Myself and some buddies that were contractors helped me put it together." Yet Palin's campaign manager in the 2002 race told her authorized biographer Kaylene Johnson: "Todd would make a lap around the state in 24 hours just to put up signs." Sarah explained her narrow loss to Johnson by saying "I was working full time as mayor, I'd just had Piper, we were building a house, and Todd was working on the slope." All of that makes it a curious time to build, and a hell of a workload for Todd, unless the family wanted to build it while Sarah Palin was still mayor, and still pushing the controversial complex (voters approved funding it that May by a narrow 20-vote margin despite Palin's support).

Van Flein also tries to soft-pedal Palin's role in the hockey complex, though just about every biographical piece on her six-year tenure as mayor -- including the pro-Palin Wall Street Journal -- concluded that it was "the biggest project Palin undertook as mayor." Van Flein even goes so far as to cite a story in the Wasilla paper that criticized her at the time for not pushing it hard enough, as if it were not her baby.

The lawyer acknowledges that she appointed the seven-member steering committee that oversaw the project and picked the contractors. Van Flein insists she wasn't the chair of the committee, a charge we never made. He does say that Curtis Menard did chair it -- a dentist whose son was the godfather of Palin's son and whose family has been called "a second family" to Sarah Palin. He doesn't acknowledge that three other members of the committee were her employees -- her public works director, her city engineer and the man she appointed as the project manager for the complex. Nor does he mention that another member of the committee was the architect selected to do the complex who also happened to be the son of the GOP boss who helped get Sarah into politics in the first place and was described as her political mentor.

Van Flein dismisses this web of connections -- to say nothing of the donations from contractors that he ignores -- by saying that "people in a small town appear to know one another, support one another, and take on big projects together." He says "apparently that's uncommon in New York." Actually, it's quite common here, and journalists here write about these incestuous networks whenever we discover them, just like Alaskan journalists do. And there's nothing that lawyers who threaten lawsuits without uncovering any substantive errors can do about it.
    New York - Runnin' Scared - Barrett: Palin's Team Takes Swing at Voice, Whiffs

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by olivia View Post
    I'm beginning to think that Kristol is just another idiot son of powerful, intelligent, parents. No wonder he hooks up with pathetic types like Dubya and Palin. They make him feel smart and savvy, while his parents made him feel dumb.
    Could be. It could also be that he still has the hots for her.

Quote Originally Posted by cupcake View Post
    Dont expect to hear anything anytime soon, she is on a family fishing trip
    A Fredo Corleone fishing trip? or a fishing trip fishing trip?

This lady's ego knows no bounds.
    Sarah Palin Called GOP Leaders Before Quitting

Alaska Governor Called Dick Cheney, Rudy Giuliani In Weeks Before Stepping Down

By JUSTIN ROOD

July 6, 2009—

In the weeks before Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin announced her resignation, she spoke privately with a range of prominent Republican officials including former Vice President Dick Cheney and former mayor Rudolph Giuliani.
    It's not clear, from records or interviews, who may have been courting who, and none of the men have made comments suggesting Palin hinted at any future plans. But the calls underscore Palin's position among prominent Republicans.

This May, documents indicate, Palin called former Vice President Dick Cheney; former New York City mayor and GOP presidential primary contender Rudolph Giuliani; and Florida Gov. Charlie Crist, who is often mentioned as a GOP presidential candidate for 2012.

The governor's spokesman declined to comment on the calls. "I work for the State of Alaska," said spokesman David Murrow. "I don't coordinate or participate in her political life. I only handle official state business." He referred inquiries to Palin's political action committee, Sarah PAC. The group did not respond with comment for this story.

Palin's phone calls are shown on her official schedule for May 2009, obtained by Alaskan Andree McLeod through an open-records request with the state and shared with ABC News. McLeod has filed numerous open-records requests for Palin-related documents, as well as four ethics complaints against the governor and her aides.
    Click here to see Palin's schedule.

Palin Called Florida Governor Charlie Crist
    "GOV: Telephone Call Into Governor Crist," reads a May 4 entry in Palin's schedule. A spokeswoman for Crist said she did not know who had initiated contact, or what the subject of conversation was to have been, but the two did not speak. "It was a courtesy call. They know each other, both being governors," said Crist spokeswoman Erin Isaac.

Crist may have had his own reasons to chat with Palin: to promote his candidacy for U.S. Senate, which Crist launched one week after Palin's phone call. Nine days later, Crist announced an endorsement by Sen. John McCain, Palin's 2008 GOP ticket-topper.

On May 7, the document shows, Palin spoke with former vice president Dick Cheney from an airport in Fairbanks, during a brief refueling stop on her way to survey flood damage in the northeastern part of the state. Cheney spokeswoman Lucy Tutwiler would only confirm that the two discussed a possible summer vacation to Alaska by the Cheneys. She would not confirm whether the Cheneys went to Alaska or were still planning to go, or any other details regarding the conversation.

Sarah Palin's Schedule Before Quitting
    On May 8, Palin's schedule reads, "GOV: Telephone Call w/Former Mayor Giuliani (JNU)," the last letters apparently indicating she called from Juneau. Four days later, Palin tried to speak with Giuliani again at his prompting, the document reflects. "GOV: Tried to return requested call to Mayor Giuliani (JNU)."

According to Giuliani spokeswoman Maria Comella, the ex-mayor reached out to Palin regarding an upcoming trip to Alaska to deliver a paid speech. "As I understand it, the two of them never connected on the phone," Comella wrote in an email to ABC News. The meeting never occurred, she said, although Giuliani delivered his speech a motivational address, part of the "Get Motivated!" seminar series in Anchorage June 10.

In June, the Palins visited New York and joined the Giulianis for a Yankees game, Comella noted. She did not say whether Giuliani had picked up any indication of Palin's plans during his dealings with her.
    Sarah Palin Called GOP Leaders Before Quitting - ABC News

Can't you just picture her stalking them by telephone and them asking their assistants how the hell she got their number? She runs for VP for all of 3 months and suddenly she's on buddy-buddy terms with the former Vice President and Rudy Guiliani? She probably got blown off.... I can just imagine the conversation....

'Hello this is Dick.'
    "Dick! How the hell are ya? This is Sarah, and gosh darnit, I had a few things I wanted to go over with ya, if you've got a moment."
    ".... Sarah........? Oh! Yes of course, how are you Mrs. Palin?"
    "just great. Look, I'm thinking about stepping down."
    "......... oh?
    "Yes, this 'gotcha' media is just crossing a line, y'know? And if I'm going to put up with this- which really no one should- then I'd like to be at least in a national office. So I'm thinking of resigning."
    "Oh.....Well. Hate to cut this short but listen, Sarah I've got another call.... good luck to you."

She's nuts I tell you. Absolutely nuts.
    Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Andrea Mitchell interviews Sarah Palin. Get ready for some more "word salad"! With a side order of "WTF"?
    [youtube]VbmmiSoMG8o[/youtube]
    "Everytime we do something we get hit with an ethics violation charge or a lawsuit". You know Governor if you conduct yourself ethically those things don't happen! Just thought you should know."Thousands and thousands of hours in state time, and millions of dollars in state resources to continually fend off these frivolous and wasteful ethics violations." Of course the Personnel Board just released the total cost of dealing with these ethics charges and it was not even $300,000. And yet the Governor continues to allege that it is costing the state MILLIONS of dollars. It is like she is allergic to reality. (Which by the way makes me doubt that her figure of spending 500 thousand to fight these charges is accurate either. I mean once you start lying....)

By the way what "political game" is being played by finishing out your term? Can anyone answer that question?

You know if the goal was to show some kind of family unity to dispel rumors that there were "Other problems to cause her to resign" perhaps they should have had more children in the video then just Piper and Trig. Didn't Palin "tweet" that her kids were in Bristol Bay during her emergency press conference? (As has been the case for decades, family is commercial fishing in Bristol Bay-I look forward to joining the work crew for 1 day picking fish) Where are they?

"My focus is on my state and it always will be." God I cannot tell how much I want Sarah Palin to focus on something else. Please lady have you not done enough?

You know speaking of of being in your own reality I also read soemthing kind of bizarre in an ADN article today. After a reporter talked about criticism toward Sarah from Lisa Murkowski (Sen. Lisa Murkowski said after Palin's resignation that she was "deeply disappointed that the governor has decided to abandon the state and her constituents before her term has concluded."), the Governor responded with this:

"The double standard that's applied here is a bit perplexing. ... Didn't Lisa Murkowski leave office to go take her dad's seat? (Govs.) Huntsman left, Napolitano just left ... ," Palin said, referring to governors who took positions in President Obama's administration.

It seems like Plain simply cannot discern the difference between quitting to take another position in government and just up and quitting for no well defined reason. It really makes me wonder just how mentally unhinged she might truly be.

By the way there is another rumor swirling as to why Palin quit. If it turns out to be valid it will be a doozy. Stay tuned kids.

Update: "If I die, I die. So be it." You have GOT to see this ABC News video where Palin makes the accusation that her problems stem from "opposition researchers" that "bombarded Alaska"trying to dig up dirt on her since the campaign. Is she talking about the Alaska bloggers? And does she not understand the difference between "concerned citizen" and "political operatives"?

Posted by Gryphen at 4:34 AM
    The Immoral Minority: Andrea Mitchell interviews Sarah Palin. Get ready for some more "word salad"! With a side order of "WTF"?

Fer reals!

Here's the quote from the Anchorage Daily News on the financial cost of the ethics investigations:
    Alaska has spent nearly $300,000 investigating ethics complaints against Gov. Sarah Palin, who calls the complaints "harassment" against her and expensive for the state to defend.

Palin has accused bloggers and political opponents of bringing "frivolous" ethics charges against her.

"How much will this blogger's asinine political grandstanding cost all of us in time and money?" Palin asked after the state Personnel Board dismissed another complaint last spring.

Palin herself may be responsible for much of those costs, as indicated by a list of investigation costs for 13 separate cases the state Personnel Board released Tuesday in response to public records requests.

The minimalist list identifies cases only by the year and a three-digit case number. State Personnel Director Nicki Neal refused to identify them more specifically, so connections between known investigations and the costs released could not be verified.

However, the timing, scope and other factors of the single largest expense appear to fit the case Palin filed against herself that cost $187,797 to investigate. That's almost two-thirds of the total $296,042 of all Personnel Board investigations in the last two years.

State spent nearly $300K investigating Palin ethics complaints - Juneau Empire
    It really begs the question of why she's claiming it's "millions of dollars." Clearly, she's a liar through and through. I seriously doubt she has a legal bill of half a million dollars.

^^That interview was just as rambling as her press conference. But, at least, she's consistent with playing the victim.

I love this picture.

Here are her other interviews from this morning.

ABC:
    [youtube]KASKlF2gc8M[/youtube]

CNN:
    [youtube]IfdBvqKMOsc[/youtube]

I caught some of her interview with Andrea M this morning and was thinking to myself, My God, can she EVER sound like she's not completely annoyed with the world and professional?

the answer is No.

She sounds like she's going to explode every single time her mouth opens. It's really quite maddening. She never sounds stable or stationary or calm.

Very unsettling.

Thread Information