Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Sarah Palin resigning; Governor no more, will not run for re-election

The Governor of Alaska suddenly quit Friday because she has a higher calling, the troops are making sacrifices for our freedoms, she's a point guard, the world needs more Trigs, and she doesn't want to go on trade missions as a lame duck (only quitters and dead salmon do that). Oh, and don't say anything bad about her or she'll threaten to sue you too (as she has done to some bloggers and news media - even those who may have thought such things).

Yeah, pretty much that. On Friday, Palin gave a hastily thrown-together press conference outside her house to announce she's going to resign as governor, even though her term isn't nearly over. The speech was bizarre and made little sense and gave no coherent reason for quitting.

Esp because there were already rumors that something big was about to go down for Palin (federal charges of some type?), some people took this as confirmation that she's quitting in advance of being tangled up in impeachment or otherwise unable to do her job. Other people have speculated that she's quitting to do something more lucrative.

In response to speculation about possible charges against her, her lawyer has threatened bloggers and major news outlets with defamation suits.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by BBDSP View Post
    I'm starting to think there's no major scandal brewing but rather the opportunity to be a pundit or Fox spokeswhore.

I can see how attractive it might be to make 10 times the money and have absolutely no accountability, plus 24/7 attention.
    I kind of doubt it. She gave this speech on a Friday and barely anyone in Alaska knew about it until the day of. If she was going to become a pundit, then she would have had a much better speech and people in Alaska would have heard rumors of such a thing before she announced it. Her father-in-law spoke to People saying if he had known she was going to do this he wouldn't have gone on a fishing trip to the Kenai peninsula. That doesn't sound like Sarah had this in the works for a long time like she would if she were going to Fox News or a life in punditry. She knows shit is about to hit the fan. She's doing damage control and having her lawyer work the refs in the press so her followers can continue to believe she's a victim. All the better so they keep donating to that "legal" fund of hers. She's toast. No legal agency is going to indict someone on the weekend when they can wait until a business day. There's an indictment coming either this week or by the end of the month when she resigns. For sure.

Quote Originally Posted by soogar View Post
    Well it seems people are too eager to jump on Palin and neglect to examine other politicians' behavior.
    Right... Because it totally makes sense to discuss other politicians in a Sarah Palin thread.

Anyway, if she does run I cannot wait to see that racist bitch try to court Latino and Asian voters.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Calico Kid View Post
    Shannyn Moore Will Not Be Muzzled!

I’m holding a press conference today at 2pm ADT/6pm EDT in front of Governor Palin’s Anchorage office. My prepared statement is below. I will be taking questions.

On the Fourth of July, when Americans everywhere were celebrating our most sacred national holiday with parades and barbeques, Governor Sarah Palin was busy having me, Shannyn Moore, declared an Enemy of the State.

In a rambling quasi-legal letter, the most powerful person in this state accused me of defaming her for pointing out the fact that there have been rumors, -rumors- of corruption, rumors that have been around for years.

When Sarah Palin gave her three-weeks notice to the people of Alaska, aborting her term as Governor, a lot of people wondered why she quit. Mid-level managers turn-in their notice, not elected public officials. It didn’t make sense. It still doesn’t. People have been trying to guess why she really quit, and everyone in Alaska has been playing the guessing game. They’re rumors. There are a lot of rumors. And with all the corruption we’ve had here in Alaska, of course we wonder what’s really behind her resignation.

Governors don’t just quit. But Governor Palin did.

The governor’s massive overreaction -on the Fourth of July no less- should make any reasonable person wonder what’s wrong with her. The Lady protests way too much. Eventually we’ll all find out why she really walked off the job.

Sarah Palin is a coward and a bully. What kind of politician attacks an ordinary American on the Fourth of July for speaking her mind? What’s wrong with her? The First Amendment was designed to protect people like me from the likes of people like her. Our American Revolution got rid of kings. And queens, too. Am I jacked-up? You betcha.

Sarah Palin, if you have a problem with me, then sue me. Shannyn Moore will not be muzzled!

SHANNYN MOORE: JUST A GIRL FROM HOMER

Shannon Moore is scheduled to be on Countdown with Keith Olbermann tomorrow night on MSNBC.
    This is the kind of thing that makes our country great. Go Shannon.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Go Shannyn!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

This bitch for some kind of office!
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Why is it that everytime something happens with Palin, Obama has to be dragged into it somehow?
    OBAMA DID 9/11!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On a more serious note, WTF?!?! She gets involved with the clams and her "career" implodes....

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    wtf?
    she didn't answer a single one of anderson's questions, and you can tell he was trying hard not to laugh at certain moments.
    Just like the Katie Couric interview. Too bad SNL is on vacation. Oh Tina...

Rove & Huckabee weigh in on Palin:

Rove 'perplexed' by Palin, Huckabee calls move 'risky'

Former Bush adviser Karl Rove and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee both seemed to be scratching their heads over Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin's decision to resign her office in an appearance along with Alaska Lt. Gov Sean Parnell on "Fox News Sunday."
    Rove said, "I'm a little perplexed," since "she's not going to be able to escape media attention."
    And Huckabee deemed it "a risky strategy," adding that "if she did get out because of a feeling of getting chased, that's not going to stop if she stays in politics."
    He also questioned the way the resignation was announced, saying, "You don't call a press conference to create questions, you call one to resolve them."
    Huckabee, looking at his own time as a governor, asked that "If that had been the case for me, I would have quit about the first month? Been there, done that.? One of the things you have to do is decide, 'Look, they're not going to chase me out.'"
    "The danger that Sarah Palin faces," said Huckabee -- who said that "I'm a Sarah Palin fan and I like her personally" "the challenge that she's going to have is people who say, '"Look if they chase you out of this it won't get any easier for you."
    Both Huckabee and Rove counseled that Palin would now have to demonstrate that she was capable of effecting change without holding elected office if she wants to establish herself as a viable candidate for the GOP's 2012 presidential nomination.
    Said Rove, "She can't be a conventional candidate, she never has been."
    Rove 'perplexed' by Palin, Huckabee calls move 'risky'

Democrats React to Sarah Palin's Resignation

^^I love that glif.

More Palin fallout & spin:

Conservatives taken aback by Palin's decision to resign

(CNN) -- Astounding. Risky. Quitter. And that's what fellow conservatives had to say Sunday about Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin and her decision to step down with 18 months left in her term.
    Democrats left it to Republican and conservative voices to assess what Friday's unexpected announcement by Palin means for her and a possible run for the 2012 GOP presidential nomination. For example, Vice President Joe Biden called it a personal decision, offering no analysis of why she did it.
    By contrast, those on the political right acknowledged that they didn't know what to make of it.
    Karl Rove, the "architect" of George W. Bush's successful presidential campaigns, said the resignation left many of Palin's fellow Republicans "a little perplexed."
    "It's a risky strategy," Rove told "Fox News Sunday."
    "Astounding," was the pronouncement by Republican Sen. Chuck Grassley of Iowa, and conservative columnist George Will said Palin was declaring herself a quitter.
    Palin, who was Sen. John McCain's vice presidential candidate in the 2008 election, said she already knew she would not seek a second term and decided against being a lame duck governor for the next 18 months.
    She also complained that too much time and too many taxpayer dollars were going toward fighting ethics investigations and that the mainstream media were continuing with unfair attacks on her and her family.
    Some analysts believe that Palin will seek the 2012 Republican presidential nomination and that her resignation is intended to free her to prepare.
    Rove, whom Bush dubbed "the Architect" for managing his successful presidential campaigns in 2000 and 2004, said stepping down now won't lessen the media spotlight on Palin. In fact, he said, leaving the governor's office takes away her platform for controlling her agenda and message.
    "The media, if she wants to run for president, is going to be following her for the next 3½ years," said Rove, who called the move unclear and therefore a potentially harmful strategy for a politician. "Effective strategies in politics are ones that are so clear and obvious that people can grasp. ... It's not clear what she's doing and why."
    Grassley told the CBS program "Face the Nation" that he had "no insight into why she did it."
    "I would think, if you want to run for president -- and I'm not sure that's got anything to do with what she's doing -- that the forum of a governorship would be a better forum than just being a private citizen," the veteran senator said.
    Will told the ABC program "This Week" that he had "no idea why she did this."
    "The one that rings most hollow is, she doesn't want to put Alaska through the terror of [her] being a lame-duck governor," Will said. "If she is just weary of it, one can understand that. Still, she made a contract with [voters] to serve out her term. And she said, in her own words, she now is a quitter."
    Republican Sen. Lisa Murkowski of Alaska criticized Palin's decision as abandoning the state's voters. Palin defeated Murkowski's father the gubernatorial election in 2006.
    But Alaska Lt. Gov. Sean Parnell, also on the Fox program, said Sunday that Murkowski's statement disappointed him because it failed to recognize all that Palin has accomplished in her 2½ years in office.
    "She doesn't need a title to effect change and bring some hope to people who need it," said Parnell, a Republican who stands to become governor when Palin steps down this month.
    Palin had no public appearances Sunday, but she encouraged her followers via Twitter to ignore the pundits.
    "Critics are spinning, so hang in there as they feed false info on the right decision made as I enter last yr in office to not run again," her Twitter message said.
    In an Independence Day message to supporters, Palin said she was leaving office for a "higher calling."
    "How sad that Washington and the media will never understand; it's about country," Palin said in a statement attributed to her on her Facebook page. "And though it's honorable for countless others to leave their positions for a higher calling and without finishing a term, of course we know by now, for some reason a different standard applies for the decisions I make. But every American understands what it takes to make a decision because it's right for all, including your family."
    Palin said her administration had "accomplished more during this one term than most governors do in two."
    "We have accomplished so much, and there's much more to do, but my family and I determined after prayerful consideration that sacrificing my title helps Alaska most," she said. "And once I decided not to run for re-election, my decision was that much easier. I've never been one to waste time or resources."
    Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, who ran unsuccessfully for the Republican presidential nomination in 2008, noted that Palin will remain in the media spotlight regardless of whether she is governor.
    "The challenge that she's going to have is that there will be people who will say, 'Look, if they chased you out of this, it won't get any easier at other levels,' " Huckabee said. "It could be a brilliant strategy. The point is, we don't know."
    Huckabee called a presidential campaign "brutal" and said a Republican primary will ratchet up the pressure on Palin.
    "When your opponents within your own team spend millions of dollars to redefine you, it's very, very difficult," Huckabee said.
    Sarah Palin quits, shocks conservatives

I was shocked to see Bill Kristol once again defending her on the Today Show this morning. What does she have on this guy?
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Ironic that this was made back in February:

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    I was shocked to see Bill Kristol once again defending her on the Today Show this morning. What does she have on this guy?
    He looked so silly trying to explain the unexplainable.

Somebody please riddle me this...

How does quitting your current job in the middle of it make you a great candidate for another, much bigger job???

No comprendo...

Must set my DVR for Olbermann tonight. It's gonna be funnnnay.

Thread Information