Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Sarah Palin resigning; Governor no more, will not run for re-election

"Lame duck" is a phrase for an official who either can't or will not run for another term, who is just serving out the remainder of their term before skipping off. The lame ducks don't care about doing their job anymore or will do stupid shit because they don't have to worry about being re-elected.

Quote Originally Posted by cupcake View Post
    She is gearing up for a run for presidency, just watch and see, shes only just begun
    I'll bet the proof is in the pudding. It makes no sense for her to quit her job mid-term to seek the presidency. In fact, it's a bad move. You can buck a lot of trends in politics, but this isn't one of them. No matter how you spin it, quitting sends a bad message. I'm sure Sarah's know that. It would be to her advantage to keep her governorship. So, something has come up. My guess is an indictment since she kept referring to saving tax payer dollars not fighting for her job. She anticipates a lawsuit of some kind. Despite all that rambling, that much was clear.

Elite Member

Default re

I wish I could believe that we were done with her, but I don't think so.

On the morning after Sarah Palin resigns as Governor of Alaska it seems like the perfect time to start asking.........why?

I was over at Shanyn's last night and the question on everybodys lips was "Why is the Governor resigning now?" And after so many seemingly ineffective ethics complaints and scandals it is a very good and very difficult question to answer.

Was it Dairygate? Prisongate? Babygate? Religiongate? Or some other gate?

Well the people at Think Progress believe it is the often overlooked Housegate, which like many of the other gates has not received the kind of national attention it deserves.

Here is what Think Progress has to say about it:

Max Blumental reports on The Daily Beast that Sarah Palin may have quit her job today because she was trying to avert a major, yet-to-be-disclosed corruption scandal. The gist of the rumor is that an Alaska building company called Spenard Building Supplies (SBS) was awarded a contract by Palin to build a hockey arena in Wasilla, AK, and in return, SBS helped construct Palin’s home.

This is a very viable scandal that could have very likely caused Plain to have been impeached.

Is this THE reason that Sarah decided to call it quits? Right now, at this moment, it is as good of a theory as any.

However here is what I think. Regardless of WHICH scandal finally drove a stake through the heart of Sarah Palin's political career, you can bet that we are about to learn a whole lot of other juicy scandalous information about our Governor which may even overshadow whatever inspired Fridays bizarre and unexpected press conference.

In other words kids if you thought this story was over I am afraid to say that this may just be the beginning. Stay tuned.

Posted by Gryphen at 5:58 AM
    The Immoral Minority: On the morning after Sarah Palin resigns as Governor of Alaska it seems like the perfect time to start asking.........why?

Quote Originally Posted by mamaste View Post
    I'll bet the proof is in the pudding. It makes no sense for her to quit her job mid-term to seek the presidency. In fact, it's a bad move. You can buck a lot of trends in politics, but this isn't one of them. No matter how you spin it, quitting sends a bad message. I'm sure Sarah's know that. It would be to her advantage to keep her governorship. So, something has come up. My guess is an indictment since she kept referring to saving tax payer dollars not fighting for her job. She anticipates a lawsuit of some kind. Despite all that rambling, that much was clear.
    I agree, I would hope she is held accountable from any wrongdoings, but this seems to be a PR thing according to some. Like it or not she has a big following in the lower 48. I think she is a bit looney, guess some folks like looney
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Quote Originally Posted by BBDSP View Post
    I wish I could believe that we were done with her, but I don't think so.
    She doesn't have to run for office to stay involved on the national stage. Look at Newt Gingrich. He's very much involved in the Republican party and still a voice in conservative politics. Rush Limbaugh has never sought office (and never will) and he is THE voice in conservative politics. She has options. She can give her incoherent speeches for years to come.

Overcoming the resignation and possibly an indictment is more difficult. She could survive both those and still work in politics, but seeking office would be almost impossible. It's not her fans that she has to worry about obviously. It's the MOR Americans that she has had a diffcult time retaining, the swing voters and Independents. Those are the people who decide elections. She couldn't woo them before. With a blemish like this on her record, she might as well write them off.

ETA: Cupcake, she could very well be deluded into thinking this is a smart move. However, unlike the VP candidacy, the party has more of a voice in choosing the presidential candidate. Their silence right now should be of concern to her, but oh well.

The danger of saying nothing

July 3, 2009: As the shock of Governor Sarah Palin's resignation ripples through Alaska and across the world, there is a dangerous dynamic at play.
    By not offering the public a clear and concise reason why she is abruptly stepping aside with sixteen months to go in her term, Palin has left it to bloggers, pundits and reporters to try and fill in the blanks.
    Everyone knows that politics abhors a vacuum.
    With the lack of any substantive explanation to her sudden departure from office, the rumor mills are working overtime on this holiday weekend.

One blog is reporting that Palin is under federal investigation for her personal finances including the construction of her house in Wasilla that was built when she was Mayor. Another report making the rounds is that there is a pregnancy in the family. Yet another reports says she is leaving politics forever.
    All of this is speculation but yet all are quickly filling the vacuum that was created by Palin's rambling resignation speech.
    On CNN Anderson Cooper 360, Meg Stapleton, Palin's personal spokesperson tried to tell Cooper that Palin was showing leadership by stepping down as a leader. When asked by Anderson how stepping down with sixteen months remaining in her job was leadership, Stapleton simply said that Palin didn't need a title to do good work.

Stapleton then reiterated a Palin talking point from her earlier speech about how a good point guard knows when to pass the ball. This is nonsensical. The fact is Palin isn't passing the ball, she's taking herself out of the game before the end of the third quarter. There is a huge difference.
    Stapleton also told Cooper that the decision to resign was in the works for some time.

That's impossible to believe.
    A day of interviews with some of Palin's closest allies on various media outlets, including her own brother, showed that they didn't know about the decision until this morning. Palin's commissioners had no idea and Lt. Governor Parnell was told Wednesday night.

In addition, earlier this morning I received an email from a friend who wrote, "I just heard from some of my friends that Todd was in Dillingham fishing and had to quickly abandon his boat and leave other people in charge of the setnet to get back to Sarah, doesn't sound like a planned resignation."

According to several reporters I spoke to today, the release announcing the press conference this morning was sent out at 9am. The press conference was to be held at 11am, fifty miles outside of Anchorage at the governor's home, thereby not giving the media any advance notice.

The oddest thing about Palin's resignation is that if there isn't a brewing scandal on the verge of rearing its head, then quitting her job with sixteen months to go represents the antithesis of Sarah Palin.
    She has always portrayed herself as a someone incredibly competitive, a fighter, a sarah-cuda. Swimming away from a fight has never been associated with a barracuda or a sarah-cuda.
    But the repercussions from Palin's abrupt departure goes far beyond just political junkies who blog or watch the news coverage. While many of us are trying to figure out why, there are those that don't care so much about the reason, they just care that she quit on them.

Hours after the announcement, a woman stopped me in the store and told me how disappointed she was after hearing about Palin's resignation. "What does this say about women, that we can't finish the job? She was the first woman governor elected in Alaska's history and now she just up and quits," the woman added.

In her resignation speech, Palin asked Alaskan to trust her decision. But by refusing to offer a plausible reason as to why she is abruptly quitting and leaving the state in the hands of someone that they didn't elect governor, she has asked a lot from Alaskans.
    Meanwhile the question of why she stepped down so suddenly will continue to be answered by others, instead of Palin.
    The danger of saying nothing | AndrewHalcro.com

I will say this for the old McCain campaign, by releasing the Bristol pregnancy story and then effectively bitch-slapping any mainstream media that dared ask any questions as "picking on the woman and you would never treat a man like this" blah blah blah - they truly and effectively managed to teflon coat the bitch. The media (to my knowledge) have never mentioned any of the multitude of Palin's hillbilly activities, but they still kept pushing her for national public office and a 2012 run.

Bless the blogosphere for keeping us all informed.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Hopefully all that stuff that didn't get MSM attention during the campaign will get some attention now.

Elite Member

I heard l
    Levi is shopping a tell-all.

A*O

Quitting before her term as Governor was up and for no plausible or coherant reason is surely political suicide. If she has ambitions for the next run for President then this move makes no sense at all unless it's pre-emptive Damage Control and she hopes that falling on her sword now might give her time to redeem herself. Whatever shit is about to hit the fan must be pretty stinky because narcissists like Palin never back down or admit fault unless there's incontrovertable proof and even then they try to brazen it out.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

she made no sense at all! it was wierd...nervous breakdown much?!

Only Palin could implode and still try to paint herself as the helpless victim:

Palin links resignation to 'higher calling'
    JUNEAU, Alaska – Outgoing Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin on Saturday laid the groundwork to take on a larger, national role after leaving state government, citing a "higher calling" with the aim of uniting the country along conservative lines.
    A day after surprising even her closest friends by announcing she would step down as Alaska governor more than a year before her term was up, the controversial hockey mom was still keeping details of her future plans under wrap. But in a statement posted on Palin's Facebook account, she suggested that she had bigger plans and a national agenda she planned to push after she resigns at the end of the month.
    "I am now looking ahead and how we can advance this country together with our values of less government intervention, greater energy independence, stronger national security, and much-needed fiscal restraint," she said.
    Palin also cast herself as a victim and blasted the media, calling the response to her announcement "predictable" and out of touch.
    "How sad that Washington and the media will never understand; it's about country," the statement said. "And though it's honorable for countless others to leave their positions for a higher calling and without finishing a term, of course we know by now, for some reason a different standard applies for the decisions I make."
    Palin's personal spokeswoman, Meghan Stapleton, confirmed to The Associated Press that the Facebook posting was written by the governor.
    The abruptness of her announcement and the mystery surrounding her plans has fed widespread speculation. But Palin attorney Thomas Van Flein on Saturday warned legal action may be taken against bloggers and publications that reprint what he calls fraudulent claims.
    "To the extent several websites, most notably liberal Alaska blogger Shannyn Moore, are now claiming as 'fact' that Governor Palin resigned because she is 'under federal investigation' for embezzlement or other criminal wrongdoing, we will be exploring legal options this week to address such defamation," Van Flein said in a statement. "This is to provide notice to Ms. Moore, and those who re-publish the defamation, such as Huffington Post, MSNBC, the New York Times and The Washington Post, that the Palins will not allow them to propagate defamatory material without answering to this in a court of law."
    Palin has kept a low profile since her abrupt announcement Friday at a hastily called news conference at her home in suburban Wasilla, outside Anchorage. All of her public communication since then has been on the social networking sites Facebook and Twitter, or through statements released by her office.
    At the same time, Palin informed her spokesman David Murrow early Saturday that someone using the name "exgovsarahpalin" on Twitter was spreading a false rumor that there was to be a party at her suburban home in Wasilla, outside Anchorage. Palin was afraid her home would be mobbed, and security was dispatched, Murrow said.
    With only a few weeks before she steps down on July 26, and Lt. Gov. Sean Parnell takes her place, the governor spent the Fourth of July weekend in the state capital, Juneau, but was only spotted briefly on the sidelines of the city's parade.
    She had been invited to ride in a convertible, as she did last year, but never told organizers whether she would attend.
    Juneau parade director Jean Sztuk said officials drew up banners in case Palin showed and was willing to take part.
    As the last of the parade's clowns and marching bands headed past her, Sztuk gave up on Palin. "What governor wants to be at the end of the parade?" she asked.
    Her low-profile and vague Internet messages left mounting questions about her plans for the future shrouded in mystery. Will she lay the groundwork for a 2012 presidential bid? Will she find a high-profile place in the private sector, maybe on the speech circuit? Will she drop out of the limelight and focus on her five children?
    Her constituents, for one, wanted to know, especially in Juneau, where she has struggled to win over residents.
    "I think she owes it to Alaskans to tell us why," said state Sen. Dennis Egan, D-Juneau, the son of Alaska's first governor, Bill Egan.

Egan, hosting a 50th anniversary statehood ceremony, said he was disappointed Palin decided not to finish out her term, which was scheduled to end in 2010.
    "It's sad she abandoned us at this critical time," said Egan, who was appointed by Palin to an open seat on the last day of the legislative session in April, after a protracted battle with Senate Democrats.
    Palin's departure can't come soon enough for Laurel Carlton, a waitress at the Capital Cafe in the Baranof Hotel, where the city's political movers and shakers meet every morning before walking a few blocks to the Capitol.
    "I think she has a game plan that's not Alaska, and hasn't been for awhile," Carlton said.
    She noted Palin has a book deal, and seems headed for the national stage.
    "If you're really not going to stay and do your job every day, you should leave anyway, and so the sooner the better so somebody can step in and actually do the job," Carlton said.
    And as far as Carlton is concerned, Palin doesn't need to explain why she's leaving.
    "We don't care. We just want her gone," she said.
    Palin, whose popularity in Alaska has waned amid ongoing ethics investigations, gave many reasons for stepping down: She didn't want to be a lame-duck governor; she was tired of the tasteless jokes aimed at her five children, including her son Trig, who has Down syndrome; she felt she could do more in another, still-to-be-defined role.
    Sen. John McCain didn't rule out a return to politics for his former running mate, saying Saturday he believes "she will continue to play an important leadership role in the Republican Party and our nation." He gave no other details.
    Even Parnell, who plans to run for re-election after finishing out Palin's term, said he was shocked at first when he learned of his boss' decision. "But then as she began to articulate her reasons, I began to understand better," he said. "And nobody — unless they've been in her position and understood what she has gone through and dealt with and who she is as a person — really understands."
    Palin links resignation to 'higher calling'

Oh, give me a holy freaking break. Varios media people speculating on why Palin has stepped down is NOT defamation. What total crap. Palin could have explained why she was quitting, so that no one need speculate.

And if she didn't want the media to ever comment on her, she never should have entered politics in the first place. Politicians above everyone else give up their right to privacy and libel protection. Her people have a lot of gall to threaten journalists and bloggers like that.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

Was she on drugs during that speech? Even for her, that was a hot mess.

Her 'speechwriter' sounds as idiotic as she does. "LOL, I'm not doing my job either, I'm all about my famblee!"
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread Information