Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Sarah Palin heads to 'debate camp' at one of John McCain's 7 houses

Quote Originally Posted by RevellingInSane View Post
    In summary, you don't know every situation and to assume they are all the same is ridiculous.
    Well, duh, I am not omniscient. Xenu has yet to beam those abilities down to me. I did, however, say that homeschooling should be a last resort.

You are insisting upon homeschooling as a solution to special education as if that is the sole reason that children are homeschooled. I'd bet willing to be money that most children are not homeschooled due to special needs but rather to their parents disagreeing with the school curriculum or "values."

Special education shouldn't be a "one stop learning shop." Every child in special education is supposed to have an IEP done upon entering special ed. IEP stands for INDIVIDUALIZED Education Program. Special education too often gets a bad rap because parents feel that their child is being stigmatized in some way.

If a parent chooses to homeschool his/her child because he/she doesn't want to stick the kid in a special ed class, that is poor judgment in my opinion.

If a student's learning disabilities are SO severe that they can't be addressed by the special ed department, then unless mom or dad is a highly skilled special ed teacher, it would probably be better to pay for a private tutor than to homeschool the child.

If the public school district really isn't addressing the child's needs to your standards, what about exploring private schooling options?

To sit there and say that homeschooling is the best option without exploring other schools or solutions is, yes, folly.

Quote Originally Posted by nana55 View Post
    I've always wanted to tell you how much I love your avatar. I loved that skit, especially when he wears a lifevest, because "he's not a strong swimmer" Love it!

^^ more synchro for you

It's a classic! "No, you're not angry at him, you're just pointing!"

Good luck Palin, the debate is tomorrow. Unless McCain decides to do another "country first" ploy that everyone will fall for...and when Biden wants to on with the debates, he's going to be accused of "thinking only of himself".
    Last edited by bychance; October 1st, 2008 at 10:23 AM.

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

Homeschooling is sometimes the best choice. Some schools are really not up to par. If you live in an area with poor schools and the goods one are impacted, (as they often are) homeschooling may be a good choice. Not everyone can afford private school. If they did they wouldn't live in an area with poor schools. I also don't like to blame the schools. Teachers can only do so much with what they are sent. Parents needs to send their children to school, dressed, fed, and having had enough sleep. They also need to support the teacher. So let's not always blame the school. I know there are some shitty teachers out there, but there are mostly great ones, trying to do the best job they can. Parents need to take some responsibility.
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Wombat View Post
    Well, duh, I am not omniscient. Xenu has yet to beam those abilities down to me. I did, however, say that homeschooling should be a last resort.

You are insisting upon homeschooling as a solution to special education as if that is the sole reason that children are homeschooled. I'd bet willing to be money that most children are not homeschooled due to special needs but rather to their parents disagreeing with the school curriculum or "values."

Special education shouldn't be a "one stop learning shop." Every child in special education is supposed to have an IEP done upon entering special ed. IEP stands for INDIVIDUALIZED Education Program. Special education too often gets a bad rap because parents feel that their child is being stigmatized in some way.

If a parent chooses to homeschool his/her child because he/she doesn't want to stick the kid in a special ed class, that is poor judgment in my opinion.

If a student's learning disabilities are SO severe that they can't be addressed by the special ed department, then unless mom or dad is a highly skilled special ed teacher, it would probably be better to pay for a private tutor than to homeschool the child.

If the public school district really isn't addressing the child's needs to your standards, what about exploring private schooling options?

To sit there and say that homeschooling is the best option without exploring other schools or solutions is, yes, folly.

I am not insisting any reason is the sole reason for homeschooling. You continue to use blanket statements to cover a whole group and are doing it yet again.

Thank you for sharing what IEP is an acronym for. Considering I am well versed in the negotiations with school systems, and their pathetic attempts to offer INDIVIDUALIZED Education Programs which are more self-serving than effective for the child, again, I say you are coming to the table with little to no experience in these proceedings.

Apparent, assumption is something you enjoy doing, as you are assuming I have never, and am not now, researching all options available. Private schools are not inexpensive and, apparently since you do not seem to understand this, many private schools will not offer the amenities one child needs, even if one can pay the exorbitant costs. The schools which specialize in teaching to those with the special needs a child has may only allow entry for certain higher grades. I have done, and am doing, my research. Have you?

To say homeschooling is always chosen to end the search for alternative solutions is insulting and incorrect. Your statement point to someone who has no experience as the parent of a child in such a situation. While there are lazy, irresponsible parents who could care less what happens to their child, many homeschooling parents are not that type. It is no secret the public school system in this country is lacking.

Your statements seem to come from someone who has never experienced this. If that is the case, your arguments have no basis, meaning they are without merit.

Quote Originally Posted by nana55 View Post
    Homeschooling is sometimes the best choice. Some schools are really not up to par. If you live in an area with poor schools and the goods one are impacted, (as they often are) homeschooling may be a good choice. Not everyone can afford private school. If they did they wouldn't live in an area with poor schools. I also don't like to blame the schools. Teachers can only do so much with what they are sent. Parents needs to send their children to school, dressed, fed, and having had enough sleep. They also need to support the teacher. So let's not always blame the school. I know there are some shitty teachers out there, but there are mostly great ones, trying to do the best job they can. Parents need to take some responsibility.
    You are correct. If there is no willingness between the school, the teachers, and the parents to all work together to help a child, the child loses. To be in a meeting with teachers, doctors, and everyone else being stonewalled because the amenities created an inconvenience for the school is one of the most angering situations for a parent.

Sometimes homeschooling is the only option for the child.

Sometimes homeschooling is the only option for the child.
    No shit. I do believe I said it should be considered a last resort. I'm not saying children shouldn't ever be homeschooled; rather, they should be homeschooled if that's really the only thing that will fit the scenario. I whole heartedly agree with everything that nana55 said except that I don't place homeschooling in a high regard. Leave it at that if you will.

Apparent, assumption is something you enjoy doing,
    You are making far more assumptions than I am. Unfortunately for me, I don't have the time to write a huge dissertation on this forum on the status of our school systems and how they relate to homeschooling. I try to contribute to this forum when I can, but I can't keep up with it regularly. I just don't have the talents (and time?) of Grimmlok.

Perhaps my earlier statements weren't written well enough, leaving them open to your (mis)interpretations and assumptions. Fine. So be it. If they offended you, I'm sorry.

However, I am not going to bring up my personal details into this because I don't want to have a personal argument over this. Either my arguments stand on their own, or they don't. I am happy to leave it at that.

Finally, if we are going to talk about home schooling in depth on this board, can we please talk about the debate homeschooing of Sarah Palin instead?

Homeschooling works for some and doesn't for others. It's the level of education the homeschooling instructors have that is a bigger problem.

A next-door neighbor of mine was pulled out of our private school and homeschooled beginning in 8th grade. She kept up a pretty amazing social life, but only because her mom was a deadbeat lush and the occasional "vocabulary tests" consisting of words like "opossum," "tractor," and "wristwatch" did absolutely nothing to further her academically.

I think she works at a grocery store now. Sad because her mom's liquor problem blurred her vision of the school system so much that she thought us "regularly schooled" students were a bunch of spineless, brainwashed conformists.

In cases like that, I absolutely believe it qualifies not only as child abuse but robbing a perfectly capable kid of an opportunity at a better life.

I was watching the news last night, and one of the ways that the McCain camp is training Palin for the debate is to practice outside by a creek.

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

I have seen good and bad homeschooling, but mostly good. When my daughter home-schooled she belonged to a homeschool group. They met every week at a park with their kids and discussed how to meet educational needs and special needs. None of these moms were stupid, and none were religious. Most had high achieving students whose needs were not being met in school. They also did not have the money for private school. They would meet for field trips to museums, seaworld , the zoo, etc. They were a wonderful group. Unfortunately my daughter divorced and had to send her son to public school. A trauma for all involved. He has adjusted and is doing quite well, but his mom's guilt.......off the charts.
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Wombat View Post
    No shit. I do believe I said it should be considered a last resort. I'm not saying children shouldn't ever be homeschooled; rather, they should be homeschooled if that's really the only thing that will fit the scenario. I whole heartedly agree with everything that nana55 said except that I don't place homeschooling in a high regard. Leave it at that if you will.

You are making far more assumptions than I am. Unfortunately for me, I don't have the time to write a huge dissertation on this forum on the status of our school systems and how they relate to homeschooling. I try to contribute to this forum when I can, but I can't keep up with it regularly. I just don't have the talents (and time?) of Grimmlok.

Perhaps my earlier statements weren't written well enough, leaving them open to your (mis)interpretations and assumptions. Fine. So be it. If they offended you, I'm sorry.

However, I am not going to bring up my personal details into this because I don't want to have a personal argument over this. Either my arguments stand on their own, or they don't. I am happy to leave it at that.

Finally, if we are going to talk about home schooling in depth on this board, can we please talk about the debate homeschooing of Sarah Palin instead?
    I'm not offended. Your answers and suggestions show you know little to nothing about the situation, so any more you throw out will be ignored. It isn't personal.

The bold says it all.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    I was watching the news last night, and one of the ways that the McCain camp is training Palin for the debate is to practice outside by a creek.
    So we really shouldn't be all that surprised when Palin pulls out a hunting rifle and starts shooting at "squirrels" when Gwen Ifill asks her about foreign policy.

Here's an assignment for the homeschooled kids. Finish the sentence:

"This one time, at debate camp, I ____."
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDark View Post
    Here's an assignment for the homeschooled kids. Finish the sentence:

"This one time, at debate camp, I ____."

... "Had to give a very old man a hand job and a little something else to assure him I was a ready and willing VP candidate."

Quote Originally Posted by cmmdee View Post
    ... "Had to give a very old man a hand job and a little something else to assure him I was a ready and willing VP candidate."

His Alzheimer's medication?

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    I felt the urge to push her in the creek so we could really test if she could swim.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread Information