Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Sarah Palin heads to 'debate camp' at one of John McCain's 7 houses

Elite Member

Cupcake, they don't use books? What about literature? Are they reading books that are recommended for their age?

Good for you with the camps and other activities. Social skills are very important in life. I might even say more important than book knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
    Cupcake, they don't use books? What about literature? Are they reading books that are recommended for their age?

Good for you with the camps and other activities. Social skills are very important in life. I might even say more important than book knowledge.
    Not text books..That is what I am referring to..Of course they are all readers..Very little television, plenty of reading, boardgames etc..We are all big readers in my family..And we are open minded enough to even have the set of Harry Potter books!!!! Which some of you might find hard to believe..We are not crazy religious fundamentalists
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Ok, Harry Potter is one thing, but what about Literature? F. Scott Fitzgerald, Shakespeare, Hemingway, Mark Twain, or the prose of Walt Whitman and Robert Frost? I'm not sure you can get that from a computer.

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    Ok, Harry Potter is one thing, but what about Literature? F. Scott Fitzgerald, Shakespeare, Hemingway, Mark Twain, or the prose of Walt Whitman and Robert Frost? I'm not sure you can get that from a computer.
    MY GOSH!!!! What is wrong with you people? Of course literature..I threw the Harry Potter in there because apparently some of you think I am a whacked out religious freak with retarded children...Can we just get over it?...I am so over this...I refrain for a day from responding to all of this...then I do and it makes no difference..Just live you own lives and don't worry about mine..
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

LOL that was SO sarah palin!!

"This is what my family does, let me broadcast it, but dont you dare comment on it!"
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by cupcake View Post
    Not text books..That is what I am referring to..Of course they are all readers..Very little television, plenty of reading, boardgames etc..We are all big readers in my family..And we are open minded enough to even have the set of Harry Potter books!!!! Which some of you might find hard to believe..We are not crazy religious fundamentalists
    Because I just explained this! Grimm
    Rip Mom

Quote Originally Posted by Little Wombat View Post
    I agree on the interpersonal level. Almost all the homeschooled individuals I have known or my friends have known lack social skills.

If you homeschool a kid, sure, they'll learn the materials out of the book well. I mean, there's nothing to distract from their studying. It's nothing but focus. On the other hand, they lose out on all the exposure to other things - kids, social development, school activities, many shared memories with your classmates, exposure to other individuals and their minds, etc.

IMO, homeschooling is a method of control. Controlling as much of your kid's life as possible. However, the result is that the kid will ultimately be less prepared for world. It's like developing your immune system: the greater your exposure to different viruses and bacteria, the stronger your system becomes. Reduced exposure? Not as strong of an immune system. And some research has proposed that greater rates of asthma and childhood diabetes may be a result of suppressed immune system development (i.e., no germs to come into contact with so the immune system turns on the body).

That's the irony of homeschooling. It aims to educate children better by removing them from the world, but ultimately they are less educated about the world from being less exposed to it.
    Not every situation in which a child is homeschooled is more detrimental than regular schooling.

What if a child has a problem which the school system does not address properly? The child is falling behind because the school refuses to acknowledge the parents' pleadings and doctors' findings? Should that child be left in said school to gain the valuable social experience while learning nothing? What if the social environment is so stressful to the student, it causes emotional damage?

Do not lump all homeschooled children into one category. Most schools teach "down the middle" and heaven help the poor child who isn't mainstream.

The very social interaction deemed paramount has caused some adults lifelong issues.

No two people are the same. If one homeschooling family is lacking, that does not mean all others are.

A brief changing of the topic back to the original topic, here is a photo of Palin's mock debate.

Quote Originally Posted by RevellingInSane View Post
    Not every situation in which a child is homeschooled is more detrimental than regular schooling.

What if a child has a problem which the school system does not address properly? The child is falling behind because the school refuses to acknowledge the parents' pleadings and doctors' findings? Should that child be left in said school to gain the valuable social experience while learning nothing? What if the social environment is so stressful to the student, it causes emotional damage?

Do not lump all homeschooled children into one category. Most schools teach "down the middle" and heaven help the poor child who isn't mainstream.

The very social interaction deemed paramount has caused some adults lifelong issues.

No two people are the same. If one homeschooling family is lacking, that does not mean all others are.
    Thank you..I know a lady who is a widow of 2 years with 4 children...All homeschooled...Her oldest is 21, no desire to get his drivers license, still lives at home, not in college, the other kids cling to their mom and are anti social and not on a schedule with their work..They do book work, not virtual school. And they have no bedtime, no arise time and are behind on their work..She won't change..Burns me up..her children are suffering

Quote Originally Posted by betagrl View Post
    A brief changing of the topic back to the original topic, here is a photo of Palin's mock debate.

I appreciate the humor..pretty funny
    Last edited by Tati; September 30th, 2008 at 10:25 PM.
    Rip Mom

Quote Originally Posted by RevellingInSane View Post

Why not another school instead of homeschooling?

And I believe special education was created to teach children that aren't "mainstream." Public school districts are required to be able to accommodate all learning disabilities, and if they can't, they are required to provide some sort of alternative, which may be another school or even covering the cost of private school.

Homeschooling at best should be considered a last resort and only a temporary measure. Homeschooling a kid from kindergarten through 12th grade puts a kid at a severe disadvantage for life after that 12th grade. To believe otherwise would be folly.

In our school system here you don't get to go to the school in your neighborhood. You pick 3 and then they tell you where you are going to go...Sometimes just before school begins session..Your child may be bussed 20 miles away..Our schools are over crowded and violence is common..My sister is a teacher at her third middle school in 4 years because of issues...If we lived in a small town things probly would have been different...
    Rip Mom

Quote Originally Posted by betagrl View Post

For Petes sake-this thread is not about Cupcake and her home schooling!!!! Get off it,it is tiresome and the debate is 2 days off.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by Little Wombat View Post
    Why not another school instead of homeschooling?

And I believe special education was created to teach children that aren't "mainstream." Public school districts are required to be able to accommodate all learning disabilities, and if they can't, they are required to provide some sort of alternative, which may be another school or even covering the cost of private school.

Homeschooling at best should be considered a last resort and only a temporary measure. Homeschooling a kid from kindergarten through 12th grade puts a kid at a severe disadvantage for life after that 12th grade. To believe otherwise would be folly.
    Do you have children with special needs? Have you had to fight with the school administrators? In your district, are the transfer rules ironclad or pliable?

Again, you can not lump all children together. Every situation is different.

Yes, special education is provided, but it, too, is a one stop learning shop that does not cater to the individual. While the schools are required to provide options, do you have any idea how long the process can take just to get to the discussion phase? Obviously not. Did you know one of the options offered is to place the child in a class by himself and isolate him from other children all day? I am sure that is much better for the child than homeschooling.

Again, you are making assumptions. You are assuming homeschooling was chosen as an easier alternative, rather than as the best situation for the child. If you are not a parent, not a parent of a special needs child, and have no experience in the situation, really, you should be asking questions instead of making assumptions. Any parent who puts her child first would probably fight tooth and nail to avoid homeschooling.

In summary, you don't know every situation and to assume they are all the same is ridiculous.

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by lurkur View Post

[^^they're synchronized ]
    I've always wanted to tell you how much I love your avatar. I loved that skit, especially when he wears a lifevest, because "he's not a strong swimmer" Love it!
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

so they are geting 90 seconds and then 90 seconds and then 2 minutes of back and forth is that correct?
    Rip Mom

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread Information