Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Sarah Palin fail's at Teh Interwebz, email account hacked

Just heard a report that the secret service will be investigating the hacking.

Group Posts E-Mail Hacked From Palin Account -- Update | Threat Level from Wired.com

Group Posts E-Mail Hacked From Palin Account -- Update

By Kim Zetter September 17, 2008 | 12:50:57 PMCategories: Election '08, Hacks and Cracks

Vice-presidential candidate Sarah Palin's private Yahoo e-mail account was hacked, and some of its contents posted on the internet Wednesday.
    The internet griefers known as Anonymous took credit for the intrusion, and screenshots of e-mail messages and photos belonging to the Alaska governor have been published by WikiLeaks. Threat Level has confirmed the authenticity of at least one of the e-mails.
    "This is a shocking invasion of the Governor's privacy and a violation of law," Rick Davis, McCain-Palin campaign manager said in a statement. "The matter has been turned over to the appropriate authorities and we hope that anyone in possession of these e-mails will destroy them. We will have no further comment."
    FBI spokesman Brian Hale said, "The FBI is aware of the alleged hacking incident involving Alaska Governor Sarah Palin and is coordinating with the United States Secret Service on the matter." Anonymous better hope they stay anonymous if the FBI is on their tail!
    Alaska Governor Sarah Palin was tapped by Senator John McCain to be his vice-presidential running mate.

Photo: Associated Press/Al Grillo

The cache of stolen data contains five screenshots from Palin's account, including the text of an e-mail exchange with Alaska Lt. Gov. Sean Parnell about his campaign for Congress.
    Another screenshot shows Palin's inbox and a third shows the text of an e-mail from Amy McCorkell, whom Palin appointed to the Governor's Advisory Board on Alcoholism and Drug Abuse in 2007.
    The e-mail, a message of support to Palin, tells her not to let negative press get to her and asks Palin to pray for McCorkell, who writes that "I need strength to 1. keep employment, 2. not have to choose."
    McCorkell, reached at her office, confirmed that she did send the e-mail to Palin. McCorkell later called and said the FBI has been in touch with her about this investigation.
    A fourth screenshot shows an e-mail sent to Ivy Frye, a Palin aide, from someone claiming to belong to the group Anonymous advising that the person has changed the password to Palin's Yahoo account They should have published her old password, I have my money on "MOOSES" to prevent other members of Anonymous from accessing it again. The e-mail includes the new password.
    The data posted by WikiLeaks also includes a list of Palin's e-mail contacts and two photos of her children.
    Palin has come under fire for using private e-mail accounts to conduct state business. Critics allege that she uses the account to get around public records laws, as the Bush administration has also been charged with doing.
    An index of the e-mails in her inbox, which includes sender, subject line and date sent, indicates that Palin received numerous e-mails from her aides in the governor's office, some of which could be work-related.
    An e-mail from her press secretary, Meghan Stapleton, indicates the message is about the "Motor Fuel Tax Suspension".
    The subject line of an e-mail from Randall Ruaro, her deputy chief of staff reads, "Draft letter to Governor Schwarzenegger." Another one from Ruaro says, "Please approve" and another one is about "Court of Appeals Nominations."
    Other e-mails from Ruaro indicate they're about employee and budget issues for the DPS. DPS is how Alaska refers to its Department of Public Safety.
    Palin's chief of staff, Michael Nizich, sent her an e-mail August 22 with the subject line, "Using Royalty Oil to Lower the Cost of Fuel for Alaskans." The subject line of another e-mail from Nizich reads "CONFIDENTIAL Ethics Matter." Oh no they didn't!!

E-mails from the governor's scheduler, Janice Mason, indicate that they're about Palin's schedule for the week of August 10.
    WikiLeaks said in a press release sent to reporters that Anonymous gained access to Palin's e-mail account around midnight Tuesday.
    (Updated with reactions from the McCain campaign and the FBI, as well as new information about e-mails that indicate Palin used the account for official government work.)

Elite Member

Why would the secret service get involved? Was her personal safety compromised.

Stupid of anynomous, really. Scientologists are one thing, but the secret service.. eek.

Still.. confidential ethics in a PERSONAL account?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

The hackers better be shitting it with they've incurred the wrath of the pitbull, but seriously.. using a Yahoo account for shit like this is ridiculously stupid.

Now that they've posted addresses for some of her staff like Ivy Frye, which are YAHOO accounts, I wonder if hackers outside of the US are going to jump on it too.

I had pointed out on another email yesterday that she was exposing government info by using a non protected site. She's an ass. Still whoever did this should be prosecuted fully.

Someone got owned and is now crying.

Hit By Ban Bus!
    Cyberland fan club, smelling the desperation

Quote Originally Posted by stylejunkiex View Post
    She's unsurprisingly inarticulate in her email responses, too.

I've seen more well-written shit on here. That's saying a LOT.
    Most people on here are probably a lot better educated than she is.

Beautiful work /i/, you glorious /b/astards. Unfortunately someones gonna get a visit from the Partyvan.

I sort of called it on the first thread about this, "Feed her to the chans." I knew they wouldn't pass this up.

Quote Originally Posted by stylejunkiex View Post
    Is this the same Anonymous that started that Scientology war a few months ago?
    It's a huge complicated clusterfuck. If you want to 'be educated' about the chans, go to Main Page - Encyclopedia Dramatica
    Just a warning, NSFW and if you explore that site on various other topics, have a strong stomach.

Damage control? Good grief, people! This is a criminal act! I can not believe anyone would condone of this. I don't care who the person is, Obama, Palin, Hillary, etc.

Shit like this should be condemned across the board, not celebrated.

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have. ~Thomas Jefferson

Honestly, it would bother me more if it was an official government account or even an ISP account. A 13 year old script-kiddie could get into a Yahoo account. I have the tiniest bit of sympathy for her that it happened, but when you're that high profile and using a yahoo account, it was inevitable.

But if someone in her position* has a yahoo/hotmail/gmail account, it's practically begging to be 'hacked.' Having a yahoo account with potentially sensitive information is a disaster and this proves it.

*I just don't mean her. ANYBODY that uses a free email service for sensitive information is begging for trouble. I don't care if you're a vice presidential candidate or a convenience store owner in bumfuck Nunavut, do not do official business on free email accounts!!

Edit - I just decided to hop on over to a few of the 'chans' and see what they're saying. Quite a lot of them are calling this an 'Epic Fail' which in chanspeak they're basically condemning it.

For those wondering the '$cientology anonymous' and channers are a bit different. Most channers refer to '$cientology anonymous' as "moralfags" and hate the 'chanology' ordeal....like I said a huge clusterfuck.
    Last edited by L1049; September 17th, 2008 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Didn't want to be a post whore and double post

Quote Originally Posted by tkdgirl View Post
    Damage control? Good grief, people! This is a criminal act! I can not believe anyone would condone of this. I don't care who the person is, Obama, Palin, Hillary, etc.

Shit like this should be condemned across the board, not celebrated.
    Yes, it's a criminal act and no one should have their e-mail hacked, not even Palin. But, then again, Palin should've been smart enough NOT to use a Yahoo account to conduct state business when she had a secure goverment account to use. That's precisely the reason why she has a secured government e-mail account to avoid potential hacking.

So, yes, hacking of any kind should be condemned across the board, but so should the utter stupidity Palin showed by opening up government e-mails to hacking.

I don't believe that her email account was hacked by someone outside of their campaign. I think they did for sympathy and a way to make the emails associated with this account go bye, bye..
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

I feel so secure in the knowledge that the possible future vice president and who could possibly become president, uses Yahoo Mail for her official business.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information