Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Sarah Palin didn't know Africa is a continent

Quote Originally Posted by mamaste View Post
    IIRC, it was Steve Schmidt's idea. Palin was never even on the short list of VP picks. McCain had only met her once. Schmidt and David sold McCain on Palin. Then he met with her for 2 hours and decided to offer her the VP spot. It was a calculated move designed to attract neo-cons and disgruntled Hilary supporters. In the end, it backfired.
    I can see why they thought this would attract Hillary supporters. But I feel like neocons were going to vote for McCain no matter what. A lot of neocons felt McCain was too moderate, but I guarantee you they would vote for him over Obama, who is nowhere near as conservative, regardless of who the VP picks were.

Personally, I wish that he had picked Giuliani, who I feel has solid experience and is much more middle of the road. I think Giuliani would have attracted more moderates and undecided voters.

Quote Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
    Yeah, I put some of the blame on her for "not blinking" when she was asked to be VP. A thoughful person would've considered the offer carefully and she didn't. She was ambitious way beyond her abilities and part of what pisses me off about her is that she doesn't even appear to acknowledge her own shortcomings. There are a bunch of regular people on this message board who know more about the economy and world affairs than Sarah Palin.

And her ambition caused her to throw her pregnant daughter into the public eye, and I don't even want to think about how little attention the new special needs baby must have been getting the last couple of months. I'm all for women with careers having families but her family circumstances were up and beyond the normal responsibilities, and the job she was attempting to get was up and beyond the normal job.
    Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    I can see why they thought this would attract Hillary supporters. But I feel like neocons were going to vote for McCain no matter what. A lot of neocons felt McCain was too moderate, but I guarantee you they would vote for him over Obama, who is nowhere near as conservative, regardless of who the VP picks were.
    I agree completely. And while they made their social conservatives happy, they also alienated many of their fiscal conservatives who aren't pro-gun, anti-abortion, or anti-stem cell research. I think many Republicans distanced themselves from their party during this election (I'm not saying they didn't vote Republican, but they didn't identify with it, necessarily). They lost the women vote and the Independent vote, it was just a very unwise choice.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Personally, I wish that he had picked Giuliani, who I feel has solid experience and is much more middle of the road. I think Giuliani would have attracted more moderates and undecided voters.
    So the ticket would have been 2 aging white men who are not able to be faithful to their spouses and that would have pleased the conservatives?

Like I said in another thread. McCain didn't even bother me until Palin came along. If Mccain was even as little as 10 years younger (and minus palin) he probably would've been a decent/ viable candidate.

If they were looking for woman as VP, there were probably many that were FAR more qualified than palin.

Geography is not the poor woman's strong suit -

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1hN6DFQyDs[/YOUTUBE]

New Hampshire isn't in the north west, right??? That turned out worse than the hockey game she dropped the puck at. Maybe she meant "North Hampshire"?? So many states, anyone could lose track. At least her handlers might have prepped the poor woman with a spirited round of "This Land is Your Land".
    Last edited by AgentOrange; November 6th, 2008 at 05:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    So the ticket would have been 2 aging white men who are not able to be faithful to their spouses and that would have pleased the conservatives?
    Although it shows some moral indiscretion, being unfaithful to one's spouse doesn't necessarily mean that someone isn't a qualified and effective leader.

In fact, when Bill Clinton was unfaithful to his wife, a lot of Americans were angry that people were judging his abilities as President based on his "private life". I don't think that how you conduct yourself in public and at work is always defined by the state of your marriage.

I would be pleased with a candidate who had fiscally conservative and socially moderate to conservative views on the issues that affect this country. Being faithful to his wife is a obviously preferable, but to me, it's not a requirement.

Although it shows some moral indiscretion, being unfaithful to one's spouse doesn't necessarily mean that someone isn't a qualified and effective leader.

In fact, when Bill Clinton was unfaithful to his wife, a lot of Americans were angry that people were judging his abilities as President based on his "private life". I don't think that how you conduct yourself in public and at work is always defined by the state of your marriage.

I would be pleased with a candidate who had fiscally conservative and socially moderate to conservative views on the issues that affect this country. Being faithful to his wife is a obviously preferable, but to me, it's not a requirement.
    ... and did that come back to bite him in the ass - impeachment.

Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    Thats the thing, we're not sure. She was never even vetted. I agree, its sick the way they are circling the wagons now. They made a poor choice and they have to live with it. If she had been vetted, they would have seen how ignorant she was and all the skeletons in her closet. In that way, its not necessarily her fault.
    Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    Palin is ending up their scapegoat, which is really unfair to her. (make note: this is probably the only time I will defend Palin.)

The campaign should have done more checking to see what they were getting themselves into when picked her. It's their own fault, and to place all the blame on Palin is not right.
    Agreed. I loathe all this woman stands for, but for the Republicans to place all the blame for their failure on her is ridiculous. They chose her, they unleashed her, they stood by and expressed their 'support' for her through all this campaign. Yes, she's out of touch, vicious and possibly mentally deficient, but it's not like she stormed into McCain headquarters and held them at gunpoint until they chose her for the VP candidacy.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Aella View Post
    Agreed. I loathe all this woman stands for, but for the Republicans to place all the blame for their failure on her is ridiculous. They chose her, they unleashed her, they stood by and expressed their 'support' for her through all this campaign. Yes, she's out of touch, vicious and possibly mentally deficient, but it's not like she stormed into McCain headquarters and held them at gunpoint until they chose her for the VP candidacy.
    You make her sound like Britney Spears.

Quote Originally Posted by KristiB View Post
    Video at the link. Makes me happy Fox is reporting this Pretty much ensures she won't be back!
    But Bush's knowledge is terrible too but it didnt' stop him being president.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    I'm not surprised but to be fair she's not the only American with a woeful lack of knowledge about geography and the big wide world outside the US borders.
    Thanks A*O - I a) don't have to type it out, b) don't have to read any further...
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post

Thanks A*O - I a) don't have to type it out, b) don't have to read any further...
    Wouldn't it be better if it had??

However being taken to court for fraud is fine????
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Maybe, given the mess and destruction 8 years of that Mensa candidate left behind, voters are starting to catch up that maybe, just maybe having a MORON run the show isn't the best idea. No matter how much you 'want to have a beer' with him.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
    Geography is not the poor woman's strong suit -

[youtube]x1hN6DFQyDs[/youtube]

New Hampshire isn't in the north west, right??? That turned out worse than the hockey game she dropped the puck at. Maybe she meant "North Hampshire"?? So many states, anyone could lose track. At least her handlers might have prepped the poor woman with a spirited round of "This Land is Your Land".
    I love how you hear people screaming "NORTHEAST!"
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

How much do you want to bet that there are any number of fundies with a hardon for her saying right now 'Who cares about Africa? We're AMERICA.....HHHOOOOOOHHHHAHAAAAA'.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information