Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Sarah Palin didn't know Africa is a continent

Elite Member

Hey, I just invented a new kid's game: Are You Smarter than Sarah Palin?

I asked him what one of the countries in Africa was. I gave him a hint - pyramids. He answered Egypt correctly. Palin probably thinks Egypt is part of the Middle East and that there are terrorists there.

^^ Nah. She probably thinks Egypt is in Asia.

You'd be surprised that some people don't know that Egypt is in Africa. I've only met a few people who said "oh, you lived in Africa, thats awesome!" Usually, I can tell they are trying in their head to figure out where it is. I bet she thinks South Africa takes up 1/4 of the lower continent, she doesn't believe it is a country, but a geographical reference. In that case, she also probably believes there is a West, East, and North Africa. I bet she couldn't even find Israel on a map.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Quote Originally Posted by nwgirl View Post
    Not this stuff. Not at my son's school anway. They teach them how to take tests. I am constantly astounded at my son and his friends' lack of basic knowledge about things that are, well...basic. Thank you No Child Left Behind!

All this standardized testing stuff is a travesty, it is hurting and not helping education. We'd do better to overhaul the curriculum to have a heavy emphasis on world history, geography, science, and CIVICS. Teaching to the test only encourages cramming unrelated information and then forgetting....and I bet reading and math is dumbed down and taught to the exclusion of almost everything else.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Oh, come on. I seriously doubt that she didn't know Africa was a continent. I call BS.

^^ I doubt that a reported from Fox of all networks wold be making this up. Perhaps Palin never learned the continents at any of the 5 colleges she attended to get 1 under grad degree.

Africa - the country where dinosaurs roam! It's McCain's own damned fault. Rumour is that they decided on Palin after using a Google search to vet her. It gets worse, the grape vine says she's gonna run in Alaska sen Ted Steven's seat, once he gets thrown out. Stevens won the election, but was also found guilty on corruption charges - a convicted felon - so he gotta go. That opens the door for Sarah! The Washington Post is even hinting that this may be positioning for a 2012 run. That's our pit bull - once they get a taste of blood.

More on the Hillbilly Diva from Yahoonews -

By Lee-Anne Goodman, The Canadian Press
    Knives come out for Sarah Palin; McCain aides tell tales of an ill-informed diva - Yahoo! Canada News

- Sarah Palin wasn't aware that Africa was a continent and she and her brood behaved like a band of "Wasilla hillbillies looting Neiman Marcus from coast to coast," aides to Republican John McCain are telling prominent news organizations.

Less than 24 hours after McCain lost the presidential election to Democrat Barack Obama, those close to him apparently wasted no time burning up the phone lines to dish the dirt on Palin, the Alaska governor who portrayed herself as a sensible hockey Mom when she was chosen the Arizona senator's running mate in late August.

If the anonymous McCain insiders are to be believed, Palin, a 44-year-old mother of five, was unaware that Africa was a continent, arguing that South Africa was simply a region of the larger country of Africa.

She also didn't know the three countries that are in the North American Free Trade Agreement, namely Canada, the U.S. and Mexico.

A call last week by a Quebec radio prankster pretending to be French President Nicolas Sarkozy reportedly became a fiery source of tension between the already feuding McCain and Palin camps. An aide to the Alaska governor, Steve Biegun, OK'd the call without discussing it with McCain's people or the U.S. State Department.

The Los Angeles Times reported that an outraged Steve Schmidt, McCain's top strategist, organized a conference call after the prank - which revealed Palin to be ill-informed and naive - made international headlines and brought further ridicule to the campaign.

He demanded to know who had arranged the Sarkozy call and questioned why anyone would have agreed to such an unusual request without clearing it with top staff.

Biegun immediately took responsibility.

"I was fooled," he told the L.A. Times in a report published Thursday. "No one's going to beat me up more than I beat myself up for setting up the governor like that."

The leaked stories about Palin's alleged antics throughout the campaign are appearing in publications that include Newsweek magazine and the New York Times just as Republicans gather Thursday in Virginia to discuss the future of the party.

Many in the party's ultra-conservative wing are enthralled by Palin and her socially conservative views, and hope to make her a presidential candidate in 2012.

"I'm not doing this for naught," Palin said recently when asked about her aspirations.

Yet soon after she was chosen McCain's running mate with very little vetting, his campaign insiders say they became queasy with the growing knowledge that Palin was desperately unqualified and ill-prepared to be a heartbeat away from the presidency.

They attempted to bring her up to speed on the issues of the day, but she refused any efforts to prepare her for a string of disastrous interviews with CBS's Katie Couric that proved extremely damaging to the McCain campaign.

The McCain insiders have told various news organizations that Palin nonetheless threw angry temper tantrums over their mishandling of her when the Couric interviews went badly.

The most salacious of the stories leaked - with many more supposedly still to come in the days to follow - involve Palin's infamous US$150,000 spending spree at some of the most expensive stores in the United States.

Despite her self-styled image as a down-home working mother opposed to big government spending, the aides told Newsweek she behaved like anything but: she spent tens of thousands of dollars more than the US$150,000 originally reported on clothing, accessories and luggage for herself and her family.

One senior aide told the magazine that she was told to buy three suits for the Republican National Convention and hire a stylist, but instead, the vice-presidential nominee began amassing costly goods from stores like Saks Fifth Avenue and Neiman Marcus.

At one point during the campaign, Palin's youngest daughter, seven-year-old Piper, was photographed carrying a US$790 Louis Vuitton bag.

Two sources told Newsweek the goods were bought by a wealthy donor, who was flabbergasted when he saw the bills. Palin also allegedly instructed low-level staffers to buy her new clothes with their credit cards, something the McCain campaign only discovered last week when the aides tried to get reimbursed.

Palin aides had a different version of events, with several telling the Los Angeles Times that she was outraged by the amount of money being spent on her clothing, adding she was naive about what the clothes cost.

"The very first day of shopping, there was a $14,000 price tag and . . . she was absolutely shocked," one of the Palin insiders said.

Another told Newsweek: "Gov. Palin was not directing staffers to put anything on their personal credit cards, and anything that staffers put on their credit cards has been reimbursed, like an expense."

On Wednesday in Phoenix, Palin said: "There is absolutely no diva in me."

Nonetheless, a Republican party lawyer is reportedly heading to Alaska to inventory and retrieve the clothes still in Palin's possession.

The tensions between the two camps reportedly continued even into election night, when Palin met up with McCain at the Biltmore hotel in Phoenix with a concession speech in hand that she wanted to deliver before he took to the podium to address his crestfallen supporters.

Much to her chagrin, she was told by senior McCain aides that such a speech would be inappropriate since vice-presidential nominees do not traditionally speak on election night.

The relationship between Palin and McCain, in fact, had deteriorated in the final days of the campaign to the point that they were seldom talking.

"I think it was a difficult relationship," one top McCain campaign official told the New York Times. "McCain talked to her occasionally."

On Wednesday, Palin disputed suggestions she contributed to McCain's loss, but said she was apologetic if she had.

"I don't think anybody should give Sarah Palin that much credit that I would trump an economic time in this nation that occurred about two months ago," she told CNN. "If I cost John McCain even one vote, I am sorry about that because John McCain, I believe, is the American hero."

Elite Member

Default Re

As much as I dislike and do not respect her, it is sick the way they are throwing her under the bus right now. I mean, who picked her as VP?

Thats the thing, we're not sure. She was never even vetted. I agree, its sick the way they are circling the wagons now. They made a poor choice and they have to live with it. If she had been vetted, they would have seen how ignorant she was and all the skeletons in her closet. In that way, its not necessarily her fault.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Quote Originally Posted by BBDSP View Post
    As much as I dislike and do not respect her, it is sick the way they are throwing her under the bus right now. I mean, who picked her as VP?
    I agree. Why are they not blaming McCain. The beginning of the end for him was saying the economy was fundamentally strong and even saying he doesn't know much about the economy.

Palin is ending up their scapegoat, which is really unfair to her. (make note: this is probably the only time I will defend Palin.)

The campaign should have done more checking to see what they were getting themselves into when picked her. It's their own fault, and to place all the blame on Palin is not right.

There’s plenty of blame to go around with regard to the Palin pick and but of course no one has the b*lls to step up and take the blame.

With that being said, I don’t feel sorry for her. She chose to go “rogue” and not follow the advice she was given. If she hadn’t shown herself to be such a divisive and anti intellectual individual I might have some respect for her or maybe even compassion. She was clearly blinded by her own ambitions and it’s interesting that this self proclaimed outsider now is positioned to take over her mentor, Ted Stevens, seat.

Elite Member

Yeah, I put some of the blame on her for "not blinking" when she was asked to be VP. A thoughful person would've considered the offer carefully and she didn't. She was ambitious way beyond her abilities and part of what pisses me off about her is that she doesn't even appear to acknowledge her own shortcomings. There are a bunch of regular people on this message board who know more about the economy and world affairs than Sarah Palin.

And her ambition caused her to throw her pregnant daughter into the public eye, and I don't even want to think about how little attention the new special needs baby must have been getting the last couple of months. I'm all for women with careers having families but her family circumstances were up and beyond the normal responsibilities, and the job she was attempting to get was up and beyond the normal job.

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    Palin is ending up their scapegoat, which is really unfair to her. (make note: this is probably the only time I will defend Palin.)
    A bit true, but if it keeps her out of national politics in the future, hallelujah!
    "Oh! I've been looking for a red suede pump!"
    - Marie (Carrie Fisher), When Harry Met Sally

Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    Thats the thing, we're not sure. She was never even vetted. I agree, its sick the way they are circling the wagons now. They made a poor choice and they have to live with it. If she had been vetted, they would have seen how ignorant she was and all the skeletons in her closet. In that way, its not necessarily her fault.
    IIRC, it was Steve Schmidt's idea. Palin was never even on the short list of VP picks. McCain had only met her once. Schmidt and David sold McCain on Palin. Then he met with her for 2 hours and decided to offer her the VP spot. It was a calculated move designed to attract neo-cons and disgruntled Hilary supporters. In the end, it backfired.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information