Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: San Francisco jail installs condom dispensers

I think this is a good idea and they should put them in all of the jails throughout the country.

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    They've been banning sex for years, it says right in the article that sex is ILLEGAL so it obviously isn't working. If you think there's a study out there hell google your ass off and find it.
    Why would I Google for a study? The prison officials in this story are the ones making the so-far-unsupported assertion that condoms in prisons, along with the lifting of a ban on sex, will somehow decrease HIV rates.

In my opinion, if you are going to make a policy change like that, it should be based on success in other prisons.

Where in the article does it say it's lifting the ban on sex?
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

i think we should do a field study. send someone to jail, and see if they like getting butt fucked best with or without a condom, and what they think is safer.
    and i know just the right person we can volunteer as a guinea pig, to support or disprove this assertion.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Either sex with a condom is safer or not. I don't get what the issue is?
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

I'm rather bumfuzzled too Venus

Here's some light reading for some:
    http://www.healthjustice.net/Other/S...nes%202010.pdf

FIELD ACTION REPORT

The First Condom Machine in a US Jail: The Challenge of Harm Reduction in a Law and Order Environment

Mary Sylla, JD, MPH, Nina Harawa, PhD, MPH and Olga Grinstead Reznick, PhD, MPH
    Mary Sylla is with the Center for Health Justice, Los Angeles, CA. Nina Harawais with Charles Drew University, Los Angeles, CA. At the time of the study, Olga Grinstead Reznick was with the Center for AIDS Prevention Studies, University of California, San Francisco
    Correspondence: Correspondence should be sent to Mary Sylla, JD, MPH, Center for Health Justice, 900 Avila Street, Suite 301, Los Angeles, CA 90012 (e-mail: mary@healthjustice.net ). Reprints can be ordered at http://www.ajph.org by clicking the "Reprints/Eprints" link.

Most US jails and prisons do not provide condoms to prisoners because of concerns about possible negative consequences. Since 1989, the jail system of San Francisco, California, has provided condoms to male prisoners through 1-on-1 counseling sessions. Given the limitations of this approach, we installed, stocked, and monitored a free condom-dispensing machine in a jail to examine the feasibility of this method of providing condoms to jail prisoners. After the machine was installed, we observed increases in prisoners' awareness of programmatic access to condoms and in their likelihood of having obtained condoms. Particularly large increases in condom uptake were reported among those in high-risk groups. Sexual activity did not increase, custody operations were not impeded, and staff acceptance of condom access for prisoners increased.

BioMed Central | Full text | The Catch 22 of Condoms in US Correctional Facilities
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by VenusInFauxFurs View Post
    Either sex with a condom is safer or not. I don't get what the issue is?
    I don't disagree that sex with a condom is safer. My opinion is that the prison should be more focused on banning sex between inmates in prison completely. From what I have Googled, predatory relationships, which Human Rights Watch refers to as "sexual slavery" (No Escape: Male Rape in U.S. Prisons - Rape Scenarios), make it very difficult to determine who is actually engaging consensual sex:
    But in the context of imprisonment, much more so than in the outside world, the concepts of consent and coercion are extremely slippery. Prisons and jails are inherently coercive environments. Inmates enjoy little autonomy and little possibility of free choice, making it difficult to ascertain whether an inmate's consent to anything is freely given.(232) Distinguishing coerced sex from consensual sex can be especially difficult.

Prisoner-on-prisoner sexual contact might first appear to pose very different questions than custodial sexual contact as, formally at least, prisoners are not supposed to be able to exercise power over each other. The reality, however, is that in most prisons, even those where correctional authorities make a reasonable effort to maintain control of their charges, an inmate hierarchy exists by which certain prisoners enjoy a great deal of power over their fellows and other prisoners are exposed to exploitation and abuse. This power imbalance is of course much more marked in prisons where the authorities have ceded effective control to the inmate population, an all too common occurrence. Indeed, where "the inmates run the prison"--a phrase Human Rights Watch heard on several occasions--some of the most abusive relationships take place with little or no need for threats or other overtly coercive acts. For some prisoners, the atmosphere of fear and intimidation is so overwhelming that they acquiesce in their sexual exploitation without putting up any obvious resistance.

Prisons aren't staffed in a way that every inmate is under surveillance 24/7. Sex, like taking a shit, or eating will happen. While rape and exploitation also happens, so do consensual relationships, encounters.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

Quote Originally Posted by VenusInFauxFurs View Post
    Prisons aren't staffed in a way that every inmate is under surveillance 24/7. Sex, like taking a shit, or eating will happen. While rape and exploitation also happens, so do consensual relationships, encounters.
    From what I'm reading, the reason that prisons make sexual contact illegal is because it is almost impossible to figure out who is actually having consensual sex. Maybe they should divide the prisons into wings of people who a) say they want to have consensual sex, and b) want sex banned between inmates.

There isn't an easy answer for stopping rape or sex slavery in prison, if there was it would have happened before now but at least if there are condoms available maybe just maybe one less person will get infected.

^^^
    some people just don't want to see that.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    There isn't an easy answer for stopping rape or sex slavery in prison, if there was it would have happened before now but at least if there are condoms available maybe just maybe one less person will get infected.
    Apparently there was a major anti-prison-rape bill passed in 2003, and which had support across very disparate political groups. I'm not sure how effective it's been.

After having read the article that Mel has posted, I think I would say that I would be in favor of having the condoms distributed while still (paradoxically) making sexual relations between prisoners illegal.

I don't care if prisoners have access to condoms or not, just so long as I'm not paying for them.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

I don't have a problem with this at all if it stops even one person passing on the HIV virus to another. And lets not forget that a lot of these guys will be back on the outside at some point and may spread the virus there too. This is not just about prevention in prison, its about prevention as a whole. You can't stop them from having sex so you can at least reduce the risks.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information