Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: S.C Lt. Gov Andre Bauer says poor "owe" for government services

Later in his speech, Bauer said, "I can show you a bar graph where free and reduced lunch has the worst test scores in the state of South Carolina," adding, "You show me the school that has the highest free and reduced lunch, and I'll show you the worst test scores, folks. It's there, period.
    Ugh. The stupidity in this quote is annoying. Clearly, these words come out of the mouth of someone who knows nothing about statistics. CORRELATION DOES NOT PROVE CAUSALITY. Bauer is a f***ing idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
    "Oh! I've been looking for a red suede pump!"
    - Marie (Carrie Fisher), When Harry Met Sally

Elite Member

What is he trying to say there, exactly? That they're not just poor, they're stupid too and that is another reason to put them down?

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Yeah, he doesn't seem to get that being poor is sometimes a factor in test scores, never mind that testing is subjective to say the least. Woul dhe rather starve them`? Will they do better on tests when they're really, really, really hungry?
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    He makes a very valid point about parents actively participating, and the good for kids that comes from that participation. Rich, poor, or in between, you need to be involved. The rest, well, that's another story.
    Parents ought to be involved, but the kids of parents who aren't involved shouldn't be penalized.

^^Exactly. And as I said, the PTA is a hotbed of crazy. Has anyone else encountered this? I've seen grown women driven to tears and near violence by some of the antics of the assholes that take this stuff a little too seriously.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by visitor42 View Post
    Parents ought to be involved, but the kids of parents who aren't involved shouldn't be penalized.

I didn't say they should be penalized, but that parental involvement is good for kids.

But they are penalized unforunately. Their parents lack of involvement penalizes them in life more than any proposed penalty from the government or school board.

And one doesn't have to attend PTA meetings to be involved, my parents certainly never went to PTA meetings. However, they were engaged in our education.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I*m engaged with their education to a certain extent but I also don't want to be one of those parents who basically goes to school for their kid.

--Sinclair Lewis

^ Sounds similar to my parents. My mother had an involved approach with us, but not directly with our schools. Her extent of school contact would have been the yearly progress meeting where teachers gave parents an idea of how you were doing. She was never a PTA meeting goer, or up at school for other reasons.

But she engaged with us, asking about what were we learning, giving us in depth treatments and more information on things we were studying if we were interested, discussing the topics with us, taught us historical perspectives that school didn't, etc.

I feel for children that have parents that can't be bothered to engage in their education at all. They really are handicapped by that.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I think so too. I help with homework, make sure they're getting it done, etc. Meet with teachers when necessary but do not do PTA or anything else like that other than donating the odd batch of cookies to the bakesale.

--Sinclair Lewis

I had to get reduced lunch in high school..I guess my hard working parents, and grandparents were just getting handouts. Bauer is a real fucking idiot.

^^YOu're parents were trying to beat the system, obviously. That means any kids you have or will have are the result of being strong enough to fuck...I mean breed. YOu're a menace to the stability and future of our country.

--Sinclair Lewis

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information