Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Running on fumes: GM could soon run out of cash

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    ^A Big 3 failure would essentially be like a permanent strike for many communities. Local businesses unrelated to the car industry but servicing the auto employees (i.e. - dry cleaners, grocery and other retail stores) would be devastated as would the housing market. Government intervention is critical.
    I agree, the government will have to take action on this. They can't let the Big 3 fail, because it's not just about the direct car manufacturers. It's about those who make car parts, sell batteries and motor oil, service cars, etc. Tens of millions of jobs would disappear almost overnight.

The Big 3 really did overreach on the SUV craze. What made them think that putting out gas guzzlers that get 12 miles/gallon was a good idea? That's crazy.

Also, keep in mind that the Big 3 pay out a lot more in retirement packages than Toyota and Honda. GM has been paying retirement in some form for at least 80 years, IIRC. Toyota's only been doing it for 25-30 years, I think? I wouldn't dare take away anyone's hard-earned nest egg, but the amount of $$$ the Big 3 pay to past employees is astronomical.

The bottom line is that the Big 3 didn't put together a 21st century model. And unless the government does something, the Big 3 are going to take the US down with them.

The big 3 are whining up here in Canada too, but the gov said "Sure, we'll bail you out yet AGAIN... but only if you build sustainable vehicles."

I doubt they will.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

A*O

What makes the car industry so special anyway? The Aussie Govt is talking about a $2bn bailout package for our mob too.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

It's all the related industry that'll go with it
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Silver Member

GM does make good efficient cars. Just not here in the US.

In a stunning display of business acumen, GM opted out of bringing this here:

GM rules out launching minicar in U.S. - [Chevrolet Beat minicar] - MotorAuthority - Car news, reviews, spy shots

But, South America and Southeast Asia will get it.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    What makes the car industry so special anyway? The Aussie Govt is talking about a $2bn bailout package for our mob too.
    The auto industry is considered a cornerstone of the American economy. If one or all of the Big 3 fails, 3 million jobs will be lost. The reverberations would be widespread. As Valley Doll said, the Big 3 will take the US down if they fail.

The Big 3 really did overreach on the SUV craze. What made them think that putting out gas guzzlers that get 12 miles/gallon was a good idea? That's crazy.

They built them because consumers would/did buy them en masse. SUVs were sort of a status symbol to many. All part of the keeping up with the Joneses mentality that the government encouraged with easy credit terms.
    Last edited by Tati; November 11th, 2008 at 10:59 PM.

national republican delusion

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post

They built them because consumers would/did buy them en masse. SUVs were sort of a status symbol to many. All part of the keeping up with the Joneses mentality that the government encouraged with easy credit terms.
    As always, the bottom line: SUVs had higher profit margins...as long as people were buying them. When people stopped buying, the industry was caught with it's pants down.

Quote Originally Posted by marina View Post
    GM does make good efficient cars. Just not here in the US.

In a stunning display of business acumen, GM opted out of bringing this here:

GM rules out launching minicar in U.S. - [Chevrolet Beat minicar] - MotorAuthority - Car news, reviews, spy shots

But, South America and Southeast Asia will get it.

The article states strigent crash-safety regulations......something the American automakers have to deal with when building for the US. So they can't sell it here because of the regulations? A small car like that would be ok for driving around town but I wouldn't want to be in one on the expressway. Of course if the gas prices go back up I will only be driving on the expressway to work..........not saying others wouldn't want it.
    Last edited by B.C.; November 11th, 2008 at 09:28 PM.

THe big 3 also lobbied to keep fuel efficiency standards in the dark ages in north america.. they recently and grudgingly updated to where the rest of the world was.. in 1973.

These are both foreign cars (Nissan).
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Here, here's good design:

That's hot, and it's a family car!
    American automakers also fucked themselves over by destroying the electric vehicles they had started making in the late 90s/early 2000s. If they had kept the program running, they'd be raking in the millions now.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    These are both foreign cars (Nissan).
    i think that was kinda grimm's point...
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

A*O

The car culture in the US is still so entrenched in Bigger Is Better it's going to take a recession to make people realise that these huge gas guzzler SUVs, trucks and speedmachines just don't make economic (or, shock, ecological) sense. Europeans and Asians feel no shame in driving around in a Honda no matter how much money they have. A car isn't a status symbol, it's a means of transport for most people and if it's cheap, reliable, ecomomical and safe that's all you need, especially now.

There IS hope for the US car industry but they need to have a total re-think about what their market actually is. If they continue to churn out cars that nobody wants for whatever reason they are doomed and if that's the case they don't deserve a cent of public money to bail them out.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information