Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Robert Gates staying on as Secretary of Defence?

economy, environment, energy.. it's all tied together.

As for Gates, I'd prefer to see someone in there who didn' sit by and let all the torture, Iraq nonsense and whatever else go on without saying boo. That shit irks me.

However, the question remains has he BEEN COMPETENT since Rumsy took off, or has he been a total tard?

I'd rather have a competent person who stays than some inexperienced crony get in.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by cynic View Post
    ....yeah, he never gave too many specifics about what his "change" would entail.....now it looks like that was a good move......when they mention economy, he says environment.....when they say environment, he says economy......he seems like the "same ole, same ole" politician to me....
    He gave specifics on his 'change' when it came to taxes, healthcare, foreign policy, etc. Which is more than anybody could say for McCain. All he could do was just attack Obama.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    Yeah, his "change" tag was just stupid to begin with. People acted like he could change all this stuff, when he can't. I guess they all seemed to forget that stuff has to be voted on first.
    Yeah, Obama's 'change' tag was so stupid that McCain tried to steal it after he picked Palin for VP.

^ No one ever claimed McCain was real brilliant either.

^^Okay. Just clearing that up.

Seems like Gates isn't a shoo-in to remain Secretary of Defense:

(CNN) ó Still no word on whether Defense Secretary Robert Gates is being asked to stay on the job by the president-elect or whether he would stay if asked. But he makes CNNís Short List of possible contenders for the cabinet position. Following Lincolnís model, Obama is open to a bipartisan cabinet, and Gates isnít the only Republican that makes our list:
    ROBERT GATES: He had his first substantive meeting with members of President-elect Barack Obama's transition team Thursday to discuss key issues the new administration will face as it comes into office.
    SEN. CHUCK HAGEL: The Republican did not seek re-election to the U.S. Senate in the recent election. Over the course of the Iraq war, Hagel has emerged as a critic of the Bush administration.
    SEN. JACK REED: The Rhode Island Democrat serves on the Senate Armed Services Committee, and was mentioned as a possible running mate for Obama.
    CNN's Short List: Obama's secretary of defense?

Gates a 'Done Deal'

Sources tell ABC News that Defense Secretary Robert Gates will be staying on in the top Pentagon job, for at least the first year of the Obama administration. "It is a done deal," a source close to the process tells ABC News.

Gates, while a registered independent, has served numerous Republican administrations. President George W. Bush nominated Gates to replace the Donald Rumsfeld after the 2006 midterm elections, when the war in Iraq was spiraling out of control.

The former Eagle Scout is expected to be rolled out immediately after the Thanksgiving Holiday weekend as part of a larger national security team expected to include Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-NY, as Secretary of State; Marine Gen. Jim Jones (Ret.) as National Security Adviser; Admiral Dennis Blair (Ret.) as Director of National Intelligence; and Dr. Susan Rice as U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations.

As CIA Director for President George H.W. Bush in 1992, Gates conveyed to incoming President Bill Clinton that he wished to stay on in that role. Clinton did not keep him on, replacing him instead with Jim Woolsey.

-- Martha Raddatz and Jake Tapper

Political Punch

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Aggie jokes, anyone?
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Hit By Ban Bus!
    squirrels in the morning, squirrels in the evening, squirrels at suppertime!

Another choice of Obama's that I'm extremely disappointed in. He's in bed with all the wrong people making deals. Very disappointing. Same old same old.

Cheetopia, don't judge yet. Wait until he's in office. This person doesn't matter it isn't policy. At least that's what I've been told.

Hit By Ban Bus!
    squirrels in the morning, squirrels in the evening, squirrels at suppertime!

I am trying to take the wait and see approach but some of his choices really give me pause.

^Which ones? I don't think Gates staying on in the interim is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by cheetopia View Post
    I am trying to take the wait and see approach but some of his choices really give me pause.
    Wait,wait-he is doing pretty good-these are not Alaskan Governors we have never heard of-they have some experience and have promised to beat to a different drum. Something tells me Obama isn't the sort to let them revert to old ways or any way but his own vision. He is even smart enough to have one!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Robert Gates actually said that he could not say whether or not water boarding was torture... AND he's an aggie.

^An aggie? He went to an agricultural school?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information