Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Repugs not hiding their racism anymore: Barack Obama is 'uppity'

i'm in yer manifesto, correcting your spelling mistakes

It all depends on context. A young, white Canadian may have no idea that 'uppity' can be a racist comment, but a middle-aged man raised in South sure as fuck does. The term uppity 'n***er' dates back to the Civil War, when the slaves were freed and started making their own lives. The whites didn't think that blacks were worth anything ore than to be slaves and therefore any black who thought differently was referred to as uppity. It was certainly a term of derision, implying that the blacks were stupid to have the audacity to think of themselves as more than slaves.
    But yes, they bet on the ambiguity of the terms to plead their ignorance. It's the same as the fried chicken, watermelon and Obama food stamp (or whatever it was). "Oh, it's just food, i had NO idea it might be considered racist!"
    "Hope everyone' shavin a good one!" - Karistiona

Anyone who tries to defend this person's use of the word "uppity" is working in vain. Uppity is a classic term stamped on blacks who dared leave their conceived roles as submissives.

I am hearing it more and more lately. The last time I heard it used in that context, was ironically, in Illinois.

I don't think anyone is trying to defend the use of the word if it was being used in a racist way. My point was that I have never, ever been aware of the fact that it was racist (which must be a good thing that I've never heard it used that way). My mom used to call my neighbors uppity because they acted very pretentious around others. They were white, by the way. I have never heard it used other than to mean "snobby" but maybe, like someone else said, its more of a regional (southern) thing. I've never, ever heard it connected to the n-word. I'm not saying that this particular person didn't know, or wasn't using it in a racist way. But forgive us others who honestly didn't know.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

^^ Sure, january. I can imagine that some people might not know the implications of the term. Just not a politician from Georgia.

There's nothing to forgive in your case-- you didn't know, you didn't use it against anyone in particular. I have heard my mother use it, too, to refer to whites.

That said, I don't like the word aside from its racist use--it implies that it is wrong to rise socially.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    I don't think anyone is trying to defend the use of the word if it was being used in a racist way. My point was that I have never, ever been aware of the fact that it was racist (which must be a good thing that I've never heard it used that way). My mom used to call my neighbors uppity because they acted very pretentious around others. They were white, by the way. I have never heard it used other than to mean "snobby" but maybe, like someone else said, its more of a regional (southern) thing. I've never, ever heard it connected to the n-word. I'm not saying that this particular person didn't know, or wasn't using it in a racist way. But forgive us others who honestly didn't know.
    Nothing to forgive. You didn't know. The person the thread is about could use that argument, but we all know it's bullshit. Honestly, I wasn't pointing a finger at you and apologize if it seemed that way.

In the south, many terms which are benign elsewhere are hate-filled.

Like I said, ya learn something new everyday
    I guess I could give BC equivalent: "Surrey Girl." Around here that's a huge insult, and is the butt of many jokes.

No, I'm actually glad I know now, so I never use it unknowingly around someone who may take it a different way. The more you know....no, really, I am actually glad I read this thread. And you're right, if this is common knowledge in the south, then I'm sure she probably was using it in a racist context. Nothing surprises me anymore in this election, anyway. I'm so glad I cast my vote today and don't have to wait in long lines come November 4.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information