Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Republicans block bill to lift military gay ban

ugh the comments on Yahoo are so moronic, but they're always usually filled with conservatives and bigots

".... to repeal the 17-year-old law, which is unpopular with most Americans". The writer shows his bias. The public does not want it repealed.
    obama is just making this country weak for letting anybody join the u.s. armed forces, his making a fool of all our military service member.
    look at what it did in africa, 7 out of 10 have aids!!!!!!!
    When the gays dont get there way they cry about it, look at what happen when california voted against gays being married. Now they are trying to tell us how to run our military this is a little bit to much for me. I say talk to military people talk to generals and see what they have to say on the matter. It is going to affect them the most.

Surprise, President Absent didn't lift a fucking finger to get this bill to pass.

His usual modus operandi.

I got two emails this afternoon that, unfortunately, complement each other perfectly. The first was from someone who watches the DC political game pretty closely:

What’s even more outrageous is that two Democrats joined the Republican filibuster. Lincoln and Pryor are shameful. But what’s more shameful is that I strongly doubt Pres. Obama even lifted a finger to call moderate Republicans or Democrats (like Lincoln and Pryor) to push them to vote to protect our troops and protect equality. The Republicans once again have seized the debate, in part by pressuring their moderate members to reverse stance. Too bad that Democratic leaders don’t ever pressure their own in the same way.

So, no lobbying whatsoever from Obama on the Defense Authorization bill that's being filibustered while we're engaged in two wars. Obama must have been really busy, right? Oh, he was working the phones today. I got this via email, too:

Earlier today, President Obama called members of the Seattle Storm organization, to congratulate them on winning the WNBA Finals for the second time, on their success during the regular season and their undefeated run in the playoffs. The President told them that they are an inspiration to everyone, especially his daughters. Members of the Storm organization on the call told the President that they appreciated his call and that it was a highlight for their organization. President Obama said he looks forward to congratulating them in person at the White House.

He does loves his sports talk. And, the Seattle Storm's championship warrants Presidential recognition.

But, that the White House thinks this is just business as usual is what's extremely problematic. And, it would have been nice to get an email with a readout of the President's calls to target Senators. But, that didn't happen.

AMERICAblog Gay: President didn't call wavering Senators today, but did reach the WNBA Champion Seattle Storm
    Wtf is he being paid to do again?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

It shouldn't surprise anyone Obama is being conveniently mute when push comes to shove on the military gay ban issue. He's already scared as it is with his popularity hitting the skids from all sides. He truly does not want to 'risk' anything these days, and doesn't want anything to 'haunt' his re-election bid in 2012. Kinda like the dems that voted against this.

They sure talk the talk but chicken out when it's time to do the walk.

President Obama promised us during the campaign that he would repeal DADT and DOMA, and pass ENDA. He's done nothing to advance the latter two, and on the former, he blew it off for over a year, finally came up with a crappy last-minute compromise, and then hardly lifted a finger to get it to passed. And it didn't.

Yesterday, when "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" was going down in flames, where was our self-proclaimed Fierce Advocate? Was he manning the phones, calling Senators and twisting their arms to vote against the filibuster of the Defense Bill? No. He was busy calling the WNBA champions. President Obama couldn't be bothered to help pass a major campaign promise to a major Democratic constituency.

He did, however, have a low-level aide issue a statement in support of the bill. I'll bet that sent shivers down Mitch McConnell's spine.

And he did have the DNC's "Organizing for America" group, formerly "Obama for America," send an email to "some" of their members urging them to call - get this - John McCain. No effort was made to have OFA's members contact the actual targets we needed to contact, moderate Republicans and wavering Democrats. Instead, they wasted their effort having people call John McCain, someone who no one thought would change his mind. Which begs the question: Why contact McCain and not the actual targets? One possible reason: The Democrats aren't willing to risk angering moderates "just" to help the gays get their civil rights. So sic everyone - sorry, "some" of the list - on McCain. Even though it's useless, it'll look good, and the gays will think the Democrats tried to help, when that was never their intent.

And today, the day after Democratic Senator Blanche Lincoln joined the Republicans in filibustering the Defense Bill, and thus dooming the already weak-tee DADT compromise, was the President teaching Lincoln a lesson about slapping the President of the United States - her party's leader - in the face on one of his top priorities for the year? Hardly. Today VP Biden is out fundraising for Lincoln's re-election.

That'll show her who's boss. (That'll also put to rest the notion that the leader of the free world is powerless to influence legislation before Congress. He had the power to influence Lincoln via the fundraiser. He chose not to.)

But surely, you'd think, the President would at least be lambasting the Republicans in Congress for leading the charge against passage of a major defense bill while our nation is at war(s). You'd be wrong.

That'll show the Republicans who's boss.

Had the shoe been on the other foot, had the Democrats torpedoed a major defense bill, six weeks before the election, while the nation was involved in two wars, the Republicans would have annihilated us, branding us as the second coming of Benedict Arnold. And it would have likely won the GOP the election.

But President Obama doesn't do mean. At least not against people who are out to destroy him. So the White House's response to yesterday's utter humiliation of the President and Senator Reid is muted at best.

That'll show the American people who has the backbone to run this country.

At this point, anyone who tells you that they're going to pass the DADT compromise during the lame duck session (i.e., after the November election but before the new Congress gets seated in January), is either naive or simply lying to you. This Congress and this President wouldn't even hold a vote on the health care reform bill - the President's #1 campaign promise - after we lost Senator Kennedy's seat and before Scott Brown was seated. Do you honestly believe that Barack Obama and the Democratic Congress care more about passing gay rights legislation than they did about health care reform?

All three of Barack Obama's most important promises to the LGBT community - DADT, DOMA, ENDA - are now dead in the water, in large part due the White House's own malfeasance and neglect. And you're expected to wipe the tears, open your wallets, and once again go to polls and vote for the same people who weren't competent enough - who didn't care enough - to keep their promises to you the first time around.

That'll show them who's boss.

AMERICAblog Gay: Now that DADT, DOMA and ENDA are all dead, please vote for Democrats. Maybe next time they'll keep their promises. Or not.
    useless turd
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    So goddamn disappointing.
    And infuriating. Fucking infuriating.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBen View Post
    What the fuck are these people so freaked out about? Do they honestly think that ~the gays~ do nothing but have gay sex and try to recruit straight people into their hellish heathen lifestyle?? Just... what the fuck?

I won't bitch about Obama because Grimm always has my back, but fuck Obama. Fuck everybody who lies and is a bigot and is ignorant and mean.
    Yes. Fuck them all, including Obama. Where was he on this? *angry*

Where he always is. Fucking off somewhere being lazy and disinterested.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Where he always is. Fucking off somewhere being lazy and disinterested.
    He is really fucking up now...I am going to be so fucking pissed when the Repugs sweep the elections. Shit!

I am tired of waiting for him to 'do' ..ya know?

This country is fucked politically no matter which way you turn.

I guess we will have to get our rights the old fashioned way-by raising holy hell and to fuck with everybody else.

You only get what you rightly deserve when you DEMAND it!

Don't worry, come 2012, all will be forgotten and forgiven. All his haters will now support him for re-election, all of a sudden Obama will be the 'courageous hero' that at least tried to tackle gay issues. Something along those lines.

Happens.

Every.

Time.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post

... so even when it's the republicans' fault, it's still really obama's fault
    (just yanking your chain, grimm)
    omg.
    No, what the Republicans do is expected. We know what they'll do ahead of time.

The democrats did nothing to get this passed, didn't force a filibuster at all, and basically rolled over. I suppose that's expected too.

The court has already determined DADT to be unconstitutional, and Obama has a week to appeal it. If he doesn't DADT is dead and has to stop immediately. He will appeal it though. He's a shitbag.
    yeppers! of course, now we can listen to how full his fucking plate is. it's not his fault he doesn't choose to live up to his fucking campaign promises. no. hope.change.FAIL
    .. Brookie, he's nominating that person for a reason. He knows where the guy stands. Obama has done NOTHING for gay rights except defend the most horrible of them in court.
    Exactly. He nominates him to do the dirty work that he ain't man enough to do his fucking self!
    The democrats didn't lose, they killed it on purpose. They had to speed up their timetable thanks to the court ruling.

As for any possible backlash, comes with the territory. You just have to weather it.
    *BOOM*
    Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post
    Don't worry, come 2012, all will be forgotten and forgiven. All his haters will now support him for re-election, all of a sudden Obama will be the 'courageous hero' that at least tried to tackle gay issues. Something along those lines.

Happens.

Every.

Time.
    I don't think he will be elected come 2012. Unless nobody else runs but Palin. It will be almost impossible for Obama to be reelected.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

I think he has an good shot at winning.

Voters care about other issues but they vote (generally speaking) about the economy.

Notice the media has been talking about how the recession is over? Just us simple minded folks don't know it yet because it takes time (eyeroll) to recover. So the media keeps telling us how he saved us and once he hits the campaign trail with his pretty words and warped figures, the average joe will buy it.

Unless someone comes along with an economic plan that makes more sense to the voters. Unlikely.

You and I will have to put some money on it. I don't think it'll happen again. you know what they say "fool me once; shame on you. Fool me twice; shame on me."
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    П(_)П

Five bucks on the incumbent!

Sadly, even if I win our bet, I lose.

Quote Originally Posted by CornFlakegrl View Post
    Five bucks on the incumbent!

Sadly, even if I win our bet, I lose.
    It's pretty much lose/lose no matter who wins... in fact, right now, there are no winners.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    П(_)П

I haven't gone through all my emails, but I have at least one from Obama (dated May 2010) asking me to support the repeal. It came 20 days after the open letter from Howard Dean and 3 days after a letter from the DNC asking to support the repeal. Ok, I also got an alert to all Mitch McConnell asking him to support the repeal. IDK if he's been reaching out to Congress, but he and the Democratic party have been reaching out to me.

Yeah, they want your money and your legwork.. wtf did THEY do.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information