Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Republican Virginia Foxx calls Matthew Shepard's brutal murder 'a hoax'

Quote Originally Posted by nana55 View Post
    What do you mean by that? that he wanted it???
    You really need to take a reading comprehension course. It means exactly what it says. There's no hidden statement.

I tried to avoid this thread. This is so heartbreaking to even think about again. To me,it was the most hateful of hate crimes and that woman is just awful.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by Honey View Post
    The beating was so severe that the only areas on Shepard's face that were not covered in blood were those where his tears had washed the blood stains away

omg
    I didn't think a piece of text could make me cry at my computer, but...
    I saw a film today, oh boy.

Elite Member

EVen IF this one was a "hoax" there's 100 more. I fear for my sister and her partner sometimes as attractive young lesbians most people think it's fine for them to be together, but I still worry I worry about their children, my children who will be of mixed race. I hate the world we live in, I know we've come so far, but it's still not far enough by a long shot.

Matthew Shepard's mum responded to the comment -I don't know how to embed that video, here's the link:

Judy Shepard Responds To "Hoax" Comments
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Judy Shepard appeared on last night's edition of the Rachel Maddow Show to discuss the recent expansion of Federal hate crimes legislation and the remarks made by North Carolina representative Virginia Foxx, who, in testifying against the expansion, suggested that Shepard was merely the victim of a robbery, and that suggestions that he was targeted because he was gay were all a part of "a hoax that continues to be used as an excuse for passing these bills."

Shepard responded thusly: "Well, you know, attacks of lesser consequence, I guess, have been said about Matt since the beginning, and in 2007 when it passed the House, the same sort of vitriol' was spoken from the floor as well. I did not ever expect it to be called a hoax. Anyone who has done research into what happened to Matt knows it was a hate crime, although technically we couldn't prosecute it that way because there was no hate crime law in Wyoming and no Federal hate crime law protecting sexual orientation. So we couldn't call it a hate crime, but it was."

Told that Foxx had later "clarified" her remarks by saying that "hoax was a poor choice of words," Shepard wasn't particularly mollified. "It's apologizing for semantics, not her ignorance."

On the matter of how the expansion may assist the victims of other hate crimes, Shepard offered some specifics: "How it will change in Matt's case in particular, in Wyoming, because the federal law did not cover sexual orientation as a protected category, Laramie was not eligible for Federal resources...they had to furlough four employees to pay for the investigation and subsequent trials. That's not right. That's not right...This is an amazing advance of what already exists."

Also worth noting is Maddow's excellent elocution of the rationale behind hate crimes legislation, which intentionally guard against miscarriages of justice, but are often interpreted as political correctness run amok:

MADDOW: The concept behind this kind of legislation is often misconstrued but here's the deal as I understand it. The idea is that the federal Justice Department can get involved in a case to help local authorities or even to take the lead on a case if need be, in prosecuting individual serious violet crimes and murders in which the victim was selected on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, disability - the idea that crimes like that are intended not only to hurt or murder an individual, but to terrorize an entire community, and so there is a national interest in ensuring that those crimes are solved and prosecuted, particularly if local law enforcement doesn't want to because they are blinkered by the same prejudice that led to the crime in the first place.

Judy Shepard Responds To "Hoax" Comments
    sigh
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

She just broke my heart last night. She looks so incredibly devastated and heartsick. I don't really have words to describe it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    You really need to take a reading comprehension course. It means exactly what it says. There's no hidden statement.
    Yeah, I was kinda wondering what you meant as well. As if he didn't try to escape? Seriously? But since you were somewhat defending the asshats (Well it wasn't really a hate crime - as if that matters) who did this, I'm not terribly surprised.

i'm sorry but if this isn't a hate crime, nothing is. even if you're playing devil's advocate and trying to see it from the other side, all the evidence points to hate crime.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by betagrl View Post
    Yeah, I was kinda wondering what you meant as well. As if he didn't try to escape? Seriously? But since you were somewhat defending the asshats (Well it wasn't really a hate crime - as if that matters) who did this, I'm not terribly surprised.
    Another one that can't read and comprehend.

First off here is what I said: (This is actual EVIDENCE, you know the stuff that courts use, actual facts)

Well it was also said they pretended to be gay, just to get him in the truck. Then they asked for his wallet, when he refused that's when they started beating him. If that's the case, then it's not a hate crime, but a robbery....

I never condoned the beating/killing/or robbery. I just stated as a person that works for a defense attorney, that the above would NOT be a hate crime. I was not there, I have not read all the evidence, and therefore I don't pass judgment. I never follow the crowd of prosecuting someone with out the facts.

Now, if they did kill him just because he's gay, then string them up and kill them.

As far as my fence statement, get a fucking sense of humor. It's just something that people say some times.....you know stuff like....you may know karate, but I know crazy. That's all that was meant. If I wanted to say he didn't try to escape, I would have wrote, "why didn't the boy try to escape, I just don't think that fence could have held me in that situation." But I didn't say that, because I didn't mean that. God, I hate people that try to put words in your mouth. Just read what's there.
    So you can hop down off your cross now.

i want people like this prosecuted to the full extent of the law for the actual crime they commit. kill 'em all, let the sky fairy sort 'em out.

but i have a real disagreement with hate crime legislation. prosecuting thought is an area that i cannot get behind in principle.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

^^^
    it's not thought though. they're not prosecuting people for thinking gays should die and go to hell - otherwise most 'christians' would be in jail.
    they're prosecuting the ones who think gays should die and go to hell and decide to do something about it, based on that hatred.

believe me, i'm as pro-free speech as you can get, and i loathe the thought of people being prosecuted for what they think, no matter how heinous. but there's a difference when they cross the line and move from thought to action.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    ^^^
    it's not thought though. they're not prosecuting people for thinking gays should die and go to hell - otherwise most 'christians' would be in jail.
    they're prosecuting the ones who think gays should die and go to hell and decide to do something about it, based on that hatred.

believe me, i'm as pro-free speech as you can get, and i loathe the thought of people being prosecuted for what they think, no matter how heinous. but there's a difference when they cross the line and move from thought to action.

I understand your points. Truly.

But to me when you move to action, it's the action that's the crime. Not what hate was in your heart.

If you planned the crime, you've committed 1st degree murder, regardless of if you did out of homophobia, passion or financial motivation. The crime is murder, not what drove you to commit it.

It's a pure principle to me. Legislate peoples actions- to the fullest extent, but not the thoughts that brought them there.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I'm all in favor of legislating intent. Hate crimes are used to terrify a subset of people specifically.

Neo Nazis lynch black people for being black. Why? It's a message. I want that message punished on top of the crime itself. Hate should be punished.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

i think there are degrees to murder, and part of accounts for those degrees is intent.
    there are crimes of passion, accidental manslaughters, and then cold-blooded murder that is made even worse by the fact that it was motivated by an irrational hatred of what the victim was - whether it's gay, black, asian, etc...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information