Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Republican Scott Brown wins the late Sen. Ted Kennedy's Massachusetts Senate seat

Oh amazingly the predictable has happened. Obama has his new excuse for doing nothing.

Senate Dem leaders are circulating a new set of talking points on the Brown victory — forwarded my way by a concerned Democrat — that seems to treat the GOP use of the filibuster and the need for 60 votes as an immutable fact of life, rather than an unprecedented level of filibuster abuse that needs to be challenged and even overcome.

The talking points direct people to make the case that now that Dems have lost their supermajority, Republicans have a newfound responsibility to help govern, rather than obstruct. The talking points contain this line:

“It is mathematically impossible for Democrats to pass legislation on our own.”

Can you imagine Republicans in the majority — who, by the way, never had as many votes as Dems do now — ever saying such a thing?

Dem Talking Points: “Mathematically Impossible For Dems To Pass Legislation On Our Own” | The Plum Line
    Surprise. Didnt see that one coming.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by *DIVA! View Post
    Exactly, she pissed away the lead by not campaigning, and she thought by bringing Obama in at the last minute would work..NOT!

And he isn't hot to me..
    Coakley can't take all of the blame. Obama and the Dems took it for granted that she would win, too. If nothing else, this election should tell the Dems that they can't afford to take anything for granted anymore, especially during the mid-term elections.

Coakley made the mistake of not addressing voter frustration the way Brown did. That's something that every Democrat, from Obama on down, is going to have to start doing because that's what the GOP is playing into.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

That accusation that she took it easy on that cop who raped a 23 month old with a hot curling iron didn't do her any favors either.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

Elite Member

Another reason they should not have taken it for granted is that we are in a different era now...

There is a lot of interest/involvement in these elections from out of state. Even if there wasn't the issue of the democratic majority at stake, there would still have been a lot of outside interest. The dynamics have changed.

This is so sad on so many levels.
    Who says being second best is such a bad thing?

Quote Originally Posted by GaPeach View Post
    yep b/c it's not a vote for a rep it's more a vote against Obama. If this keeps up nothing will ever get done during Obamas presidency
    Peach, in most interviews I saw on tv it wasn't about obama so much as against the health care bill the are trying to pass. Some of those folks were/are Dem. but were very unhappy with the bill so they voted for the guy who would possibly help it to not go through.
    YOU CAN'T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT
    (M. Jagger/K. Richards)

Right because the poll says that 80% of people from Mass are happy with their current healthcare plan and they dont want to pay for others states insurance.
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Quote Originally Posted by cupcake View Post
    Right because the poll says that 80% of people from Mass are happy with their current healthcare plan and they dont want to pay for others states insurance.
    Because they already have the healthcare-for-everyone that the rest of the country doesn't have.
    "Oh! I've been looking for a red suede pump!"
    - Marie (Carrie Fisher), When Harry Met Sally

Brown is hot in comparison to his colleagues, which isn't saying a lot, considering. In his Cosmo shoot he looks like JFK Jr if his features were all bungled a little (and by a little I mean a lot, because he was HOT).

And I'm very disappointed by this result, Coakley pissed this away like an amateur.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

So he is anti-gay? (someone posted that?) shit. I thought he was a rather moderate/mild Republican.

And I saw some commentary on people voting for him more because they thought his opponent was 'arrogant'-that was the word that kept coming up....????

And he is fairly hot, especially for being around 50. But if he is Extremist and anti-gay then that kills any hotness.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Elite Member

He does not support marriage equality. No one really knows whether he is extremist-- he talks out of both sides of his mouth. He appears moderate when it suits him (to court disaffected dems and independents) but has taken support from tea party groups. He also accepted endorsement or endorsed (I forget which) of a birther, but claims he didn't know.

And for the record, Mitt Romney campaigned in Mass as a moderate.

Quote Originally Posted by BBDSP View Post
    He does not support marriage equality. No one really knows whether he is extremist-- he talks out of both sides of his mouth. He appears moderate when it suits him (to court disaffected dems and independents) but has taken support from tea party groups. He also accepted endorsement or endorsed (I forget which) of a birther, but claims he didn't know.

That's enough info right there not to trust the guy. If he can't stand still on his principles, how can he be trusted in the senate? He sounds like a snake.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by BBDSP View Post

Romney claimed that he was more for gay rights than Ted Kennedy and that he would always be pro-choice (he gave an Academy Award level speech about it - Romney is a better actor than Ronald Reagan). Of course, when he was running for President, he forgot all about that.

Edit: As far as I can see, Brown looks like another Romney.

Quote Originally Posted by visitor42 View Post
    Romney claimed that he was more for gay rights than Ted Kennedy and that he would always be pro-choice (he gave an Academy Award level speech about it - Romney is a better actor than Ronald Reagan). Of course, when he was running for President, he forgot all about that.

Edit: As far as I can see, Brown looks like another Romney.
    I absolutely hate when politicians pull that shit. Especially when they are chatting out of their arse.

Quote Originally Posted by visitor42 View Post
    My opinion is that Romney was originally pro-choice but that the church came down on him, and ever since he's kept his politics lockstep with the LDS church.
    "Oh! I've been looking for a red suede pump!"
    - Marie (Carrie Fisher), When Harry Met Sally

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information