Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Republican Scott Brown wins the late Sen. Ted Kennedy's Massachusetts Senate seat

Elite Member

Default re

That's right. There were a lot of factors, almost a perfect storm of circumstances. Her weaknesses as a candidate played into it, for sure, as did Scott Brown's strengths as a candidate.

So much was assumed by the national Dem committee and the Mass state Dem committee--and the assumptions were wrong! That's a sign of being out of touch, which is never a good thing.

I wish I didn't feel like Mass shot itself in the foot, but I do.

Coakley shot herself in the foot, among other body parts. By the time Obama came riding into the rescue, it was much too late.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BBDSP View Post
    I don't know if he's stupid...He's certainly not Palin-stupid.

He went to Tufts (a very good university) and law school--without family money or connections. He can't be really dumb. I imagine athletics played a role in his undergrad admission but not for law school. Compare that to Palin...

Okay, I have to say this...I really just hate his face. He has such a smug look and there is something mean about it as well. I have kind of a bad feeling about him.
    I don't know, Bush got his MBA from Harvard and I don't think anyone can argue that he's even remotely intelligent.

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet View Post
    This guy is fucking hott, at least as far as his looks go. I am opposed to many of his positions but am glad to see he doesn't oppose Roe V Wade (from what I've read recently).
    It's a bit unclear where he stands. It seems he's not even sure. Here's a rundown on his moves on the abortion issue.

Scott Brown on Abortion

Ugh, and did anyone else catch that in his acceptance speech he said his daughters 'are available'. How gross is that?
    Last edited by buttmunch; January 20th, 2010 at 02:10 PM.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Butt may have called this one, there is already talk of him running for President.

What Scott Brown's Victory Really Means

Get ready for the bromides.

From the right: Just goes to show the country is against Democratic tax-and-spend. Obama’s agenda is in ruins, heath-care is over, the GOP has a good chance of taking back Congress next November. Now, even congessional Democrats will move to the right.

From the left: Just goes to show Obama should never have cozied up to Wall Street, Big Pharma, and Big Insurance. He compromised too much. The Democratic base lost faith in him. The only answer is for Obama and congressional Dems to turn left.

Don’t believe any of it. Here’s what’s really going on. In Massachusetts, in New Jersey, all over the nation, voters are petrified of losing their jobs, their homes, and what’s left of their savings. Nothing counts more than the economy. Rightly or wrongly, presidents and the party in power are blamed when the economy is lousy. Voters fired Jimmy Carter in 1980 because the economy went south. They fired George Bush the first in 1992 because the economy was awful. They fired congressional Democrats in 1994 because the economy was still awful. And they’re in the process of firing Obama and the Democrats — unless or until the economy turns around.

What happens next November depends both on the extent of joblessness and the direction the economy is moving in. The usual political rule is voters pay more attention to the latter.

They’ll forgive even relatively high unemployment if they’re confident the economy is improving. But that old rule hasn’t been tested under conditions of extremely high unemployment. If next November one in five Americans is still unemployed or underemployed or working at lower pay than before the Great Recession, voters may not care that the economy is showing signs of improvement. They’ll vote the rascals out.

Yet when it comes to doing more about the jobs crisis, Obama and the Dems are in a box. The only sure-fire way to get jobs back is for them to do more deficit spending. After all, consumers are still in no mood to spend, businesses won’t invest without consumers to buy the fruits of such investments, and exports are still in the tank. Government remains the purchaser of last resort. (And for those of you still unconvinced, focus on the ratio of debt to GDP, and know that it won’t improve until the denominator of that equation — the GDP — starts growing quickly again, which won’t happen until there’s sufficient overall demand.)

But now, especially after the debacle in Massachusetts, there aren’t likely to be enough votes for more deficit spending. Blue-Dog Democrats will use the election results to argue for “fiscal responsibility” and join Republicans in exhuming Herbert Hoover. Which means no big jobs package. Which means, barring a miracle, continued high unemployment and underemployment. The economy will be doing better in November than it is today — consumers have to replace cars and appliances that have worn out, companies have to replace inventories that have worn thin — but not so much better that voters will breathe easier.

The Republicans won’t have easy sailing from here on, either. Brown’s victory has given more muscle to the tea-partiers — the rag-tag group of angry no-nothings who are challenging mainstream Republicans in primaries all over the country. Tea partiers have almost as much contempt for the Republican establishment as they do for Democrats. Brown himself is no tea-partier; in fact, his record in Massachusetts is quite moderate. But the partiers will use him nonetheless. And if Republicans move to the right fringe, Democrats have more room to attract moderates and Independents.

What really worries me is a basic fact, borne out by history. Deep and continuing economic stresses bring out demagogues, xenophobes, racists, and opportunists who channel people’s fears and anxieties into resentments against other people. If this awful economy goes on much longer, the extreme right could meet the extreme left in a place called “I’m mad as hell and am not gonna take it any more,” and form a third party that attracts everyone who feels disempowered and dumped on — and who want to blame someone else for what’s happened to them. Then, watch out.

Robert Reich (What Scott Brown's Victory Really Means)

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Fucker hasn't even been sworn in yet.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by LynnieD View Post
    Butt may have called this one, there is already talk of him running for President.
    Yeah, I heard that too...but he's got even LESS experience than Obama did. I see a Palin/Brown ticket and maybe the Mayans were right about 2012

Senator Scott Brown.
    Last edited by Brookie; January 20th, 2010 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Senatorial nudity

This loss is actually good for the dems. With 60 votes in the Senate people expected them to actually do something. Now, they can go back to the favorite excuse: "Not enough votes to get past the filibuster".

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3_l0Rux_Vg[/youtube]

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post

Senator Scott Brown.
    The new senator from Massachusetts. If he ever becomes president it'll be 'hail to the beefcake.'

Amazing how Bush has even less but managed to ram everything through.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Bush used 9/11 to ram everything through.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

SO why cant the Democrats use Bush?

Oh right. No spine.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

9/11 had everyone, both Dems and repugs, in a fog of fear. Bush still has a great number of people who think he's awesome.

--Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    It wasn't really a vote against just Obama. The Dems as a whole need to recognize as the party in power they are getting the blame for the shitty economy and they have to get organized and go on the offense. She took it for granted that Coakley would get Kennedy's seat, so they didn't fight for it until it was too late.

And Coakley had a massive lead in the polls at one point, and she pissed it away by refusing to 'go out and talk to strange people.' Not really the best way to run a campaign if you refuse to actually go out and campaign.
    Exactly, she pissed away the lead by not campaigning, and she thought by bringing Obama in at the last minute would work..NOT!

And he isn't hot to me..

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information