Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Report finds Sarah Palin abused her power

Default BUSTED - Palin is guilty as sin

Busted

Palin 'abused her power' in trooper scandal, probe finds - MarketWatch

Panel Finds Palin Abused Authority in Firing State Official - New York Times -

It's a slam dunk for President Barack Obama, unless it turns out he really wasn't born in the USA.
    Last edited by AgentOrange; October 10th, 2008 at 09:11 PM.

WHY WHY WHY couldn't this have come out before the debate? That would have been FUN.

More ...

Panel Finds Palin Abused Power In Firing
    A legislative committee investigating Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin has found she
    unlawfully abused her authority in firing the state's public safety
    commissioner.

MORE DETAILS: Palin Abused Power In Firing, Panel Finds - Politics News Story - WNEM Saginaw

CNN.com Emails

Inquiry Finds Palin Abused Power In Firing - Your Vote News Story - KPTV Portland

A legislative committee investigating Gov. Sarah Palin found
    she unlawfully abused her authority in firing Alaska's public
    safety commissioner, The Associated Press reported.

Read More:
    The New York Times - Breaking News, World News & Multimedia

She did a bad, bad thing.

I really want to see what kind of spin the McCain camp puts on this because, at this point, more news outlets are using the word "unlawful" than not. Interesting.

^Here's part of it:
    A spokeswoman for the McCain-Palin campaign responded by calling the investigation "a partisan-led inquiry" run by supporters of Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama, but hailing its finding that Monegan's firing broke no law.
    "Gov. Palin was cleared of the allegation of an improper firing, which is what this investigation was approved to look into," campaign spokeswoman Meg Stapleton said.
    She said the Legislature exceeded its mandate in finding an ethics violation. "Lacking evidence to support the original Monegan allegation, the Legislative Council seriously overreached, making a tortured argument to find fault without basis in law or fact," she said.
    Panel: Palin abused power in trooper case - CNN.com

"a partisan-led inquiry"
    Now she couldn't very well call it a witch hunt -

a partisan led inquiry with more repubs than dems.

Oh you poor thing, however will you survive.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I wonder if it won't end up getting a lot of attention. After all, it was released on a Friday, and everyone's watching the Dow fall these days. The McCain camp might just get lucky with the economy taking all the heat and not have to deal with this report as much as they would have to otherwise.

nah

they're just saying "See? she didnt break any laws! she's innocent! TOlD YOU!"
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Wombat View Post
    I wonder if it won't end up getting a lot of attention. After all, it was released on a Friday, and everyone's watching the Dow fall these days. The McCain camp might just get lucky with the economy taking all the heat and not have to deal with this report as much as they would have to otherwise.
    Yea, but then the focus will be on the economy and you can count on Palin to fuck that up too. They're screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Wombat View Post
    Alaskans will care though. And since Palin ain't gonna be VP, she's probably in for a rude awakening back home. She's destroyed all her political capital back home. The only thing she had to run on while running for governor was clear, open and transparent government. Well, she shot that to hell. Welcome to the short political career of Sarah Palin.

Yea, I don't really think she ever really appealed to the majority of Alaskans. Well, maybe she did because she got elected, but I think her actions after being selected by McCain left a sour taste in their mouth. This doesn't help one bit. If she does lose (which she will) she's definitely not going home to fanfare.

^Yeah, she didn't win by an overwhelming margin. Her share of the vote was 48.3% to former governor Tony Knowles' 40.9%

On finding #1 (the ethics charge), I thought this section was interesting on page 67:
    Governor Palin has stated publicly that she and her family feared Trooper Wooten. Yet the evidence presented has been inconsistent with such claims of fear. The Testimony from Trooper Wheeler, who was part of her security detail from the start, was that shortly after elected to office, she ordered a substantial reduction in manpower in her personal protection detail both in Anchorage and Juneau, an act that is inconsistent with a desire to avoid harm from Trooper Wooten or others. Moreover, assuming that Trooper Wooten was ever inclined to attack Governor Palin or a family member, logic dictates that getting him fired would accomplish nothing to eliminate the potential for harm to her or her family. On the contrary, it might just precipitate some retaliatory conduct on his part. Causing Wooten to loose his job would not have de-escalated the situation, or provided her or her family with greater security.

Finally, it is noteworthy that in almost every contact with subordinate employees, Mr. Palin's comments were couched in terms of his desire to see Trooper Wooten fired for reasons that had nothing to do with fear. His comments were always couched in terms that he was a bad Trooper, that he was not a good recruiting image for AST, that his discipline amounted to nothing more than a slap on the wrist, that nothing had happened to him following the administrative investigation, and so forth. According to interview notes from the Attorney General who interviewed former Chief of Staff Mike Tibbles, Mr. Palin even sought to obtain information about Trooper Wooten that was confidential by law ["T. Palin asked for Wooten's file," "wanted Grimes report," "refused to give it him"]. The words selected by Mr. Palin, and his actions, give insight into his motivation and that of his wife, Governor Palin.

I conclude that such claims of fear were not bona fide and were offered to provide cover for the Palins' real motivation: to get Trooper Wooten fired for personal family related reasons.

While it is true that in the absence of an interview with either Governor Palin or Todd Palin, the specific answers to questions such as these are left unanswered, it is likewise true that their apparent motives can be inferred from the circumstances, their actoins and their comments.

For all the above reasons, I find that Governor Sarah Palin abused her power as Governor in that her conduct violated AS 39.52.110(a) of the Ethics Act.

It's really a kind of 'gray zone' thing. Todd Palin was found to be guilty of abusing his wife's office, but he's not a state official. Sarah Palin knew - but the official finding is that she didn't do anything to stop it. A 'sin of omission'. Now they were obviously in it together, and the left hand was working under the direction of the right hand. You just can't prove that much.

There's wiggle room. Although Palin and McCain trying to wiggle out of it doesn't present a pretty picture.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information