Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Religious retards once again trying to shove creationist shit into Texas schools

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    Is Grim trying to prove there is no God, or that he's excellent and multi-quoting?
    Yeah, I know, right? Grimm intimidates us with his multi-quoting internet wang.
    I honestly don't know where he gets the energy for all the point-by-points. I don't care enough about anything to repeatedly point-by-point argue.

I am aware that Jesus was considered a revolutionary for his time...why do you think they killed him? He was threatening Jewish law with common sense. He was completely undermining the priests of the day. And yes, I know the Bible has kind of a patchwork history. I kind of take it thematically...God created everything (details murky), He loves everyone (yes, everyone), humanized himself in Jesus and sacrificed himself to show His love. We don't need to follow a bunch of nitpicky difficult to follow laws, we just need to have good hearts, love God and our fellow man. Jesus was kind of a hippy, wandering around, eating other people's food, drinking other people's wine, talking about change...no wonder they killed him.

I think Genesis - the creation story was oral history, finally written down and people back then had no concept of the age of the earth. Days were time periods they understood - sunup to sunup. I honestly don't know why people get so hung up over that 7 days thing.

I want to get back to bashing Republicans. It's why I hang out. Celebrities are boring these days. Someone needs to have a meltdown.

Quote Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
    Yeah, I know, right? Grimm intimidates us with his multi-quoting internet wang.
    Well, it IS pretty impressive but multiquotes are the best way to tackle individual thoughts in a post. Keeps things organized.

I honestly don't know where he gets the energy for all the point-by-points.
    How else do you have a cogent argument? By debating the points.

I don't care enough about anything to repeatedly point-by-point argue.
    Well if all posts were 1 thought items, it would be pretty boring...

I
    am aware that Jesus was considered a revolutionary for his time...why do you think they killed him? He was threatening Jewish law with common sense. He was completely undermining the priests of the day. And yes, I know the Bible has kind of a patchwork history. I kind of take it thematically...God created everything (details murky), He loves everyone (yes, everyone), humanized himself in Jesus and sacrificed himself to show His love. We don't need to follow a bunch of nitpicky difficult to follow laws, we just need to have good hearts, love God and our fellow man. Jesus was kind of a hippy, wandering around, eating other people's food, drinking other people's wine, talking about change...no wonder they killed him.
    ... you need a big invisible whatsit in the sky to be a decent person?

I think Genesis - the creation story was oral history, finally written down and people back then had no concept of the age of the earth. Days were time periods they understood - sunup to sunup. I honestly don't know why people get so hung up over that 7 days thing.
    it's just part of the overarching plethora of misinformation and contradiction that fundies expect rational people to believe despite their grasp of reality.

That's the problem. "Believe this, even if it makes no sense, or you'll be tortured for all eternity at the hands of an invisible entity!"

I want to get back to bashing Republicans. It's why I hang out. Celebrities are boring these days. Someone needs to have a meltdown.
    mebbe Shitney will find Jebus and turn into an abortion clinic bomber.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Elite Member

Seriously, what do you do? Open one window with the post you want to quote and another window for the reply and go back and forth?

... no, i just quote the post i want to answer, and then dissect it as I go along.. i highlight each thought and hit the quotes button, whcih wraps the quotes around whatever you want, and then answer the quote under it.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

^ Grimm's talent revealed! Speed quoting for everyone!
    "Oh! I've been looking for a red suede pump!"
    - Marie (Carrie Fisher), When Harry Met Sally

.. figured that's how everyone did it...

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

Oh master, I learn so much from you. You are my God, all-knowing and smarty smart smart.
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

They still have not been able to prove the Evolution is anything more than a Theory. Teaching Creationism makes sense, the world was created somehow, God did it. Unless you really belief a bunch of random crap that runs into each other suddenly evolves. Does it really matter? It's here, we're here, the details of it aren't important.
    ""Somebody needs to talk to Alex Castellanos: he may not be doing sex right if he thinks an Obama speech is 'like sex'."~ Rush Limbaugh

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

That's why it is called a "theory". i'll take that theory over crationism anyday. There are way too many holes in your idea. I will however let Grimm continue to speak for us atheists though. He does it sooo much better.
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

It takes just as much faith to think we were evolved out of nothing as it does to realize God did it. It's just a different faith.

Still don't get why anyone cares exactly how it was done anyway.
    ""Somebody needs to talk to Alex Castellanos: he may not be doing sex right if he thinks an Obama speech is 'like sex'."~ Rush Limbaugh

Bronze Member

Sometimes I feel like the USA is a really backwards country. In my country, religion and education is separated for a reason. (Doesn't creationism theory basically mean that people had incest for the first 100-200 years?) By saying "evolution theory" is just a theory, so is creationism. The difference between those two is that one is based on scientifical facts and one on hearsay.

Basically by saying that you believe in creationism over evolution, you do not accept the facts researched by scientists as facts. You can't, for example, believe that dinosaurs existed or believe that there are fossils billions of years old because the earth was created a few thousand years ago by God.Therefore you have to believe that the scientists are wrong, and therefore the means and equipment that they have used to come to these conclusions have to be incorrect.

How can you then take medicines, since those have been created with the exact same theories, means and equipment as evolution theory? Obviously you can't believe in doctors either because the diseases and their causes have been determined also with these same means.

By believing in creationism, you believe that chemistry, physics and biology are all subjects based on false facts.

Quote Originally Posted by chattykathy View Post
    They still have not been able to prove the Evolution is anything more than a Theory.
    May I suggest reading up on what scientific theory is? Scientific theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "Oh! I've been looking for a red suede pump!"
    - Marie (Carrie Fisher), When Harry Met Sally

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by coolios5o View Post
    Sometimes I feel like the USA is a really backwards country. In my country, religion and education is separated for a reason. (Doesn't creationism theory basically mean that people had incest for the first 100-200 years?) By saying "evolution theory" is just a theory, so is creationism. The difference between those two is that one is based on scientifical facts and one on hearsay.

Basically by saying that you believe in creationism over evolution, you do not accept the facts researched by scientists as facts. You can't, for example, believe that dinosaurs existed or believe that there are fossils billions of years old because the earth was created a few thousand years ago by God.Therefore you have to believe that the scientists are wrong, and therefore the means and equipment that they have used to come to these conclusions have to be incorrect.

How can you then take medicines, since those have been created with the exact same theories, means and equipment as evolution theory? Obviously you can't believe in doctors either because the diseases and their causes have been determined also with these same means.

By believing in creationism, you believe that chemistry, physics and biology are all subjects based on false facts.

You can't, for example, believe that dinosaurs existed or believe that there are fossils billions of years old because the earth was created a few thousand years ago by God.
    Whoa, wait a minute. Only a small fraction of Christians believe the earth was created a few thousand years ago. Most of us believe the fossil records that show it was hundreds of billions of years ago.

There's no way dinosaurs existed at the same time as man. They would've eaten us all. Didn't you see those Raptors on Jurrasic Park? They hunted.

Evolution is a different kind of theory based on fossil records and observation of animal behavior. As far as I know they haven't run any experiments...how could they, since evolution takes more than a lifetime for a change to take place? If there have been regular experiments with controls subjects and measurable results I am not aware of them.

um actually there are different speeds of evolutions... microevolution and macroevolution.

I give you, as an example of microevolutionary natural selection, a species of snake in australia i read about sometime back. An invasive toad was introduced and spread like wildfire because it had no natural enemies. This toad was also quite poisonous. The Cane toad, i believe.

Anyhow, a predatory species of snake kept trying to eat this rather large toad, and kept dying off as a result of said toad being rather poisonous. However, an interesting thing happened... the snakes who didnt have heads large enough to swallow the toads lived on, while the snakes with heads large enough to ingest the toads died. THe small heads kept breeding, the large heads died off.

The snake species is doing fine now, thanks to this natural selection and weeding out of an undesirable trait, that of having a large head. Voila microevolution.

Quote Originally Posted by chattykathy View Post
    They still have not been able to prove the Evolution is anything more than a Theory.
    It's a working scientific theory with evidence and hard fact to back it up.

Teaching Creationism makes sense, the world was created somehow, God did it.
    Creationism IS NOT BACKED UP BY ANY FACT OR SCIENCE. It does not make sense. It is a religious MYTH. Why in the name of hell would it be taught alongside evolution as a valid scientific theory?

It wouldn't. It's not science. It's a fairy tale.

Unless you really belief a bunch of random crap that runs into each other suddenly evolves.
    You don't even know what evolution is, obviously.

Does it really matter? It's here, we're here, the details of it aren't important.
    Yes, it does matter. IF we all lived by your example, we fucking wouldn't know how anything worked. We'd all have our heads in the sand. There would be no advancement.

Do you really think like this? How frightening.
    Last edited by Tati; April 3rd, 2009 at 04:21 PM.

If God doesn't exsist, where did the science come from... where did the monkeys we supposedly evolved from, come from... Where did anything come from? All from science? Unlikely. Sorry.

I don't see why anyone has to explain themselves, with their personal religious beliefs... I don't see why it's okay to belittle us for such, either.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information