Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Religious retards once again trying to shove creationist shit into Texas schools

Hey, if we're going to teach myths in public school, why don't we go with the Hindu version of creation: reality is Vishnu's dream and when he wakes up the world will end.

i went to school in texas, very christian private schools from day care through high school. i absolutely learned evolution in my science classes and the whole adam and eve thing in religion classes and church. i never even knew of the term "creationism" until just recently. i turned out just fine. i believe we evolved from monkeys and the evolution thing, but still somehow managed to understand the faith and religious aspect of adam and eve. to me, i took it as a metaphorical thing and never really like concrete truth. i can't figure out why things have changed and i am only 25. i think it's unnecessary to bring God into a science class, nor knock scientific proof in a religious setting.
    I'm a hard act to follow because when I'm done, I take the microphone with me.

*locks god in the loony bin where he belongs*
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by nana55 View Post
    If you want creationism taught as an actual idea(scoff, scoff) go to a church school. It is a myth that comes from a big fairytale written by men who had no other way to explain science to people thousands of years ago. No other civilized country even would think of teaching this crap. Sorry, but it is crap. Ban me if you want.
    You can believe what you want but Christianity is the largest religion in the world and Jews believe in the same God as Christians. Billions of people over thousands of years have believed in this "crap", including innumerable well-educated, highly intelligent people. Not only that there are thousands of historical records and writings other than the Bible that detail and confirm the events mentioned in the Bible, including Jesus. Unless you have extensively studied and researched these religions, I don't think it's fair to dismiss them outright.

What I'm trying to say is that the tone of your post is very offensive. We have tons of atheists on here and I don't think anyone has been quite so condescending. You have your reasons for not believing, but many of us who are thinking, intelligent people do believe, and it is not all based on blind faith and following the herd. Many believers have questioned and still choose to believe.

But I do agree that creationism should not be taught in school. I think I've made that clear.
    Last edited by travelbug; March 30th, 2009 at 07:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
    You can believe what you want but Christianity is the largest religion in the world and Jews believe in the same God as Christians.
    So do muslims, it's actually 3 versions of the same crap. Crap version one, Judaism, crap version 2 christianity, and crap version 3 Islam!

Billions of people over thousands of years have believed in this "crap", including innumerable well-educated, highly intelligent people.
    Well educated, highly intelligent people who put rational thought aside to buy into a fairy tale.

Not only that there are thousands of historical records and writings other than the Bible that detail and confirm the events mentioned in the Bible, including Jesus.
    Do they confirm him as being some kind of deity, or that he merely existed as a historical figure? Methinks the latter, since the former is impossible.

Unless you have extensively studied and researched these religions, I don't think it's fair to dismiss them outright.
    a big floating omnipresent ubiquitous being of energy who manifested all creation and who judges whether you're worthy or not to get into a mythical paradise or cast down to an imaginary pit of torment based on cultural standards that vary wildly all over this backwater little ball of dirt and ice floating in the ass end of an unimportant, small galaxy amid the millions of others so far discovered?

We seem to think rather highly of ourselves that the big floating head in the sky loves us so much, a half-evolved species of monkey amid the millions of others on this little rock we call home.

What I'm trying to say is that the tone of your post is very offensive. We have tons of atheists on here and I don't think anyone has been quite so condescending. You have your reasons for not believing, but many of us who are thinking, intelligent people do believe, and it is not all based on blind faith and following the herd.
    You can't prove god exists, thus yes it is blind faith. You believe the unknowable. What else would you call it?

Many believers have questioned and still choose to believe.
    Yes, again despite rational thought or an iota of evidence, hence blind faith.

But I do agree that creationism should not be taught in school. I think I've made that clear.
    Yes. Churches are more appropriate.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Elite Member

My family is nagging me to get off the computer now but I'll try to respond tomorrow....right now I just have to say that I know it sounds crazy a lot of times, even to me, but I happen to believe that there is more than we can see (like a spiritual dimension) and that the universe and human life is so incredible and has so many tiny impossible details, that IMO, could not just have happened by accident.

Elite Member

Default re

Schools could and should teach anthropology and maybe comparative religion. Kids would grow up smarter and more open-minded.

I had an anthropology class in high school. Also an excellent biology teacher.

that's just satan talk.

Quote Originally Posted by BBDSP View Post
    Schools could and should teach anthropology and maybe comparative religion. Kids would grow up smarter and more open-minded.
    Agreed. Went to a Catholic high school, and we had four years of theology class. Each year had a different focus. In at least one of the years, we went over the other major religions: Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam. Went to a Lutheran college, and we had to take a religion class for a general ed requirement. I took a class on the Old Testament and learned that the creation stories in Genesis are basically a variant of other Mesopotamian creation myths, something I think all the creationism proponents should learn.
    "Oh! I've been looking for a red suede pump!"
    - Marie (Carrie Fisher), When Harry Met Sally

^Yeah, there's more than one "creation" story in the bible.

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    So do muslims, it's actually 3 versions of the same crap. Crap version one, Judaism, crap version 2 christianity, and crap version 3 Islam!

Well educated, highly intelligent people who put rational thought aside to buy into a fairy tale.

Do they confirm him as being some kind of deity, or that he merely existed as a historical figure? Methinks the latter, since the former is impossible.

a big floating omnipresent ubiquitous being of energy who manifested all creation and who judges whether you're worthy or not to get into a mythical paradise or cast down to an imaginary pit of torment based on cultural standards that vary wildly all over this backwater little ball of dirt and ice floating in the ass end of an unimportant, small galaxy amid the millions of others so far discovered?

We seem to think rather highly of ourselves that the big floating head in the sky loves us so much, a half-evolved species of monkey amid the millions of others on this little rock we call home.

You can't prove god exists, thus yes it is blind faith. You believe the unknowable. What else would you call it?

Yes. Churches are more appropriate.
    Thanks Grimm, you are much better at this than me. I have studied this quite a bit and the more I study, the sillier it seems. So much of the bible comes from earlier religions. some ripped whole cloth out of earlier myths.
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    ^Yeah, there's more than one "creation" story in the bible.
    Yes, Genesis 1 and Genesis 2 tell two different creation stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Hey, if we're going to teach myths in public school, why don't we go with the Hindu version of creation: reality is Vishnu's dream and when he wakes up the world will end.
    I know, right. That will never happen though, because apparently only the christian version is the REAL one.

That's a big problem for creationist "theory"... it completely ignores the thousands of other religions and THEIR creation myths.

Now arrogant.

Elite Member

I believe we are all created to seek a higher being

I believe it's irrational to believe that something can come from absolute nothing. I also think that it's arrogant and stupid to believe that we can find all the answers if we only run enough tests. I'm a big proponent of science but I don't think our brains are big enough to figure everything out.

How exactly do you confirm a deity? Jews didn't accept Jesus as the Messiah because they were expecting a king. You know of course that ancient writings (even other than the Bible) were prophecies that included details of a savior's birth, death, and ressurection. Details that Jesus' life matched?

So do you think Jesus was just a crazy guy running around claiming to be God? Did he have a death wish? Because he knew he was going to die and that was his destiny. Do you think if he was just a regular guy he would've cut it out with the I am the Savior stuff once he realized that it was unpopular and would lead to torture and death?

I think there is a lot of imagination about the afterlife but the truth is we don't really know what it is like - but for those of us that believe in God we believe that the afterlife will unite us with God, while those that choose not to believe will not be with God. I don't know if that means "hell" in the traditional sense or just that you cease to "be" or what.

Yep, since we believe we are created in God's image and the heavens and earth declare His glory, meaning we look at the miracles of life and the universe and we are very impressed with the complexity

Yes, it is faith. Do you think God wanted a bunch of little robots with "love God" chips in them? That's no fun.

And no one can prove there isn't a God either.

Not blind faith. Like I said I can't think of any examples in real life where something comes from nothing - even "accidents" really had a chain of events that led up to them, and if one thing in that chain was different, the accident would not have happened. I see so many miraculous things on Earth and the Universe that it actually makes more sense for me to believe that someone or something was the catalyst and the overseer.
    And I got some sort of character count error. I wish I knew how to multi-quote properly.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information