View Poll Results: Is racism creeping back into US society?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

19 86.36%
  • No

3 13.64%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is racism creeping back into US society?

Hit By Ban Bus!

Default Re: Is racism creeping back into US society?

The only thing to be legitimately proud of is what you've accomplished in your life -- good deeds, helping others, overcoming obstacles, taking the high road, being kind and non-judgmental to and of others, working hard.

creeping back in- heck, when was it ever creeping out!? Racism will always be around; as long as theres people on this planet, there'll be racism.

racism never left

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

I don't think it's ever left, it just went underground for awhile. I agree with the poster who mentioned the open bigotry of our current administration. I think the attitudes and policies of the bushies has allowed all those closet racists to start speaking openly once again. As far as growing up and getting real life experience and thus seeing races for what they supposedly are, I'm no spring chicken and have more life experience than I ever probably wanted and I still can't stomach racism.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

^ well ok i don't know the exact definition of racism; so i won't say i'm a full outright racist, but i defo have my pre-concieved notions of different "racial"/ethnic/cultural groups.
    and p.s. what Chris Rock says in his stand-up routine is true!

it never left imo. and it works both ways. living in so. cal and seeing all the "brown pride" and "black pride" shirts and all the gang-bangers etc. made it real apparent, they hate us. so they cannot possibly be surprised when whites hate them back. it is an endless cycle. america is going to end up like the balkans. mark my words.

Her vocabulary was as bad as, like, whatever.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

well actually latinos and blacks don't get along either; they're always fighting, like at Venice High School for example, which i never understood b/c if they would just unite for a greater good, they'd get so much further, but unfort. thats not the case in L.A. also during the riots; much of the damage done to the asian-owned businesses was by blacks; so there's fighting between all groups, its a constant struggle for the top of the pier.

Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post
    I'm part Italian and proud of the mafia we created in the U.S.
    part Puerto Rican and proud of our fine asses!
    part french canadian and i hate myself for that
    Alice you made me laugh with that!

Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post
    well actually latinos and blacks don't get along either; they're always fighting, like at Venice High School for example, which i never understood b/c if they would just unite for a greater good, they'd get so much further, but unfort. thats not the case in L.A. also during the riots; much of the damage done to the asian-owned businesses was by blacks; so there's fighting between all groups, its a constant struggle for the top of the pier.
    ^^prison is another microcosm where latinos and blacks do not get along..if there are blacks, whites, and latinos, it is the blacks and latinos who are predominantly fighting eachother. Why is that???
    Last edited by Sojiita; August 25th, 2006 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Nobody picks on the white guys, maybe cuz of that whole Aryan Brotherhood thing..
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Nobody picks on the white guys, maybe cuz of that whole Aryan Brotherhood thing..
    But don't the latinos and blacks have a similar thing? I also think(from my own valid but limited experience) that the whites in prison may actually benefit somewhat from racism. The police, guards, etc, seem to identify first with their occupation than with their race. They just seem to fall in line as police or guards, and follow the line. I never saw whites being treated badly by black guards or law enforcement officers, yet I saw a number of blacks being treated badly by black guards and law enforcement officers. Very strange. The black guards/officers treated whites(including myself) better than minorities in my experiences(which hopefully are in the past!!!*crosses fingers and toes*).
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by heart_leigh View Post
    Grimm, it's too bad you didn't visit Winnipeg recently. We have the largest and longest multicultural event in the world called Folklorama. I think you would've enjoyed it.

http://www.folklorama.ca/
    I'm from Winnipeg and go up every year to see my sister, somehow I'm always in Kenora when Folkorama is on. I was at the Forks about a week before it started and they had tons of young people in their cultural outfits walking around. It looked so neat. Canada has so many "white" people that the others races don't overwhelm and bring racism. Also Canadians are Canadians and therefore nicer.
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

To All You Whiteys Out There:
    It's ok to be proud of being white. There are some white people that have done good things here on Planet Earth. Just like it's ok for me to be proud to be black, cuz there's some of us that've done some good things as well.

I say multiculturalism is the hope of the future. I don't even know what race I am, hence eliminating all race issue (unless people judge race as solely a skin color...in which case I'm fucked ).
    2 years...

A*O

People are finally admitting that racism works both ways, although it's still a PC minefield even discussing the possibility that it's not only whites who have a 'problem' with other races. I don't think racism ever went away - just because it's now socially unacceptable to be openly racist doesn't mean that people don't secretly hold the same racist prejudices they always did.

Maybe, just maybe, the fact that a popular TV program like Survivor even dares to segregate the teams along racial lines is a measure of how we have evolved away from the sometimes painfully PC days of patronising positive discrimination and bending over backwards to make things artificially fair and equal. It's an acknowledgement that society, for all it's good intentions, will never be the Great Big Melting Pot the idealists dream of. Most people want to identify with their cultural or racial peer group because that's who they are. The only time racism kicks in is when people start to believe that a different race/culture to theirs is somehow inferior.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

In Australia, we have a lot of mixed culture, seriously everyone from everywhere jumps into our country and calls it home. I wouldn't call myself racist but i do have an objection when im trying to study at uni and im surrounded by exchange student asians (20 metres away) loudly yabbering in their own language because they know that not many people can understand them so they can talk as loud as they want.

Muslims - i don't like double standards, at the ekka we were all instructed to remove our hats, headbands, loose items of clothing before we got on a ride (for safety issues) anywho a muslim chick was allowed to keep her head scarf on because its her religion.

Aborigines - i was sitting on a train station and an aboriginal chick (13-15) was obviously high off chroming (sniffing paint) asked me if i could buy her spraypaint, i said no, and she went ape shit saying i was whacked in the head and the whole world is f*&ked up. Dugongs are protected species, aboriginies get special rights to hunt them because its their culture, so they go out there in speed boats with spear guns. Cultural my ass if its culture shouldnt they be on row boats with hand thrown spears. Then they go and claim land rights on property because it is sacred burial ground. Which means the government hands over the land for free. Just because you were "there first" that does not mean that you own the land, i thought their belief was the the land owns them.

As for the rest of Australia we are so mixed up ethnically that realistically its pretty hard to throw the racism card around. But the above races annoy me with their attitudes, but then again if a white person acted the same way i'd probably dislike them as well so for me its not so much racism its about attitudes, respecting each other and common courtesy.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information