Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Racial hatred runs African American family out of dream home

Quote Originally Posted by bychance View Post
    uh...did you tell him that Jesus himself was Jewish?
    A lot of people that hate Jews know that Jesus was Jewish, but they gloss over that. It's like the racist who hates blacks, but will root for their favorite black athlete or entertainer.

In fairness, racists come in all colors. I know latinos who hate blacks, just like I have encountered latinos who don't.

I worked with latinos who hated anyone who was not white or light-skinned latino. One went so far as to bar his sibling, who was darker, from ever coming to see him at this place of business because he was "nigger colored". His words. Not mine.

As for jews, I don't live in an area with many, but the ones I have encountered treated me with nothing but the utmost respect which I showed in return. They were very open and many of them were treated shabbily by whites in the area. When they encountered the latinos where I worked, the hatred was blatant.

No group can be represented by just a few.

Hatred in the latino community goes beyond hating other races. Cubans and Puerto Ricans have amazed me in their hatred of Mexicans. When someone points out they are all hispanic, the fireworks, and explanations of how there are different levels withing the hispanic community, commence, making their thoughts sound even more irrational.

Quote Originally Posted by RevellingInSane View Post
    Hatred in the latino community goes beyond hating other races. Cubans and Puerto Ricans have amazed me in their hatred of Mexicans. When someone points out they are all hispanic, the fireworks, and explanations of how there are different levels withing the hispanic community, commence, making their thoughts sound even more irrational.
    It makes sense. I mean, not 'sense' as in it's an acceptable attitude to have, but given that they come from different countries, I'm sure there are political/historical reasons for a tension that lead to xenophobia.

It's like expecting all the nations in Europe to get along because of the common link of whiteness which, um, no.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

In fairness, racists come in all colors. I know latinos who hate blacks, just like I have encountered latinos who don't.

I worked with latinos who hated anyone who was not white or light-skinned latino. One went so far as to bar his sibling, who was darker, from ever coming to see him at this place of business because he was "nigger colored". His words. Not mine.

As for jews, I don't live in an area with many, but the ones I have encountered treated me with nothing but the utmost respect which I showed in return. They were very open and many of them were treated shabbily by whites in the area. When they encountered the latinos where I worked, the hatred was blatant.

No group can be represented by just a few.

That same racial hatred exists among African-Americans, Africans and Caribbean blacks, too. I've seen Africans and Caribbean blacks blast African-Americans as being inferior, and I've seen African-Americans blast Africans and Caribbean blacks as inferior. Just like with Latinos it becomes about geography. And both Hispanics and blacks tend to forget that the blood that unites us is thicker than the water that divides us.

This happens here in BC, but with Indians and someone accidentally mistaking a Hindu for a Sikh or vice versa(not quite the same as countries vs. countries but similar).
    Of course the majority of them will just brush it off, correct them, and think nothing of it, but of course there are douchebags in every religion and race and I've witnessed a few huge blow ups/bitching/rants from the 'offended party.'

If you're that pissed off because someone mistook your religion/nationality for something else, you have bigger problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Aella View Post
    It makes sense. I mean, not 'sense' as in it's an acceptable attitude to have, but given that they come from different countries, I'm sure there are political/historical reasons for a tension that lead to xenophobia.

It's like expecting all the nations in Europe to get along because of the common link of whiteness which, um, no.
    It is not limited to coming from different countries either. Xenophobia is understandable, but it goes much deeper.

History as proven skin color does not bind different peoples together. The point is, everyone is going to find a minute detail of someone else to target in order to make themselves feel superior. They try to present a facade of being a collective. They aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    That same racial hatred exists among African-Americans, Africans and Caribbean blacks, too. I've seen Africans and Caribbean blacks blast African-Americans as being inferior, and I've seen African-Americans blast Africans and Caribbean blacks as inferior. Just like with Latinos it becomes about geography. And both Hispanics and blacks tend to forget that the blood that unites us is thicker than the water that divides us.
    Trust me, I don't have to be reminded of black on black hatred.

You don't even have to look to African descendant from across the water. Northern and souther. Light and dark. People will find reasons to spark conflict.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Oh, there's nothing like African blood denial when it comes to Afro-Latinos.

Some of them could be blacker than you and me but still insist they aren't black -- "I'm Spanish!" LMAO. No you dope. Go to Spain and say Spanish they'd laugh at you.

I agree with the lot of you. There's also some hatred among Asians as well...from the East Asians (Chinese, Japanese, Koreans) looking down on the SE Asians (Filipinos, Cambodians, Thai, etc.) as inferior. There is also a color divide among Asians as well. The lighter the complexion, supposedly the better.
    Rock the fuck on!

^^Just goes to show that all minority groups have problems with racism within their own race, Leigh.

It is not limited to coming from different countries either. Xenophobia is understandable, but it goes much deeper.

History as proven skin color does not bind different peoples together. The point is, everyone is going to find a minute detail of someone else to target in order to make themselves feel superior. They try to present a facade of being a collective. They aren't.

Trust me, I don't have to be reminded of black on black hatred.

You don't even have to look to African descendant from across the water. Northern and souther. Light and dark. People will find reasons to spark conflict.
    Ain't that the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by bychance View Post
    Oh, there's nothing like African blood denial when it comes to Afro-Latinos.

Some of them could be blacker than you and me but still insist they aren't black -- "I'm Spanish!" LMAO. No you dope. Go to Spain and say Spanish they'd laugh at you.
    The same could be said of Africans or Caribbean blacks. I've had both an African and a Caribbean person tell me that they weren't black like me, despite being darker than me. I just laughed in their faces.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information