Page 9 of 44 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
Like Tree1931Likes

Thread: Race to the White House 2020

^^Like that uppity bitch Killary? Who was too good to bake cookies for her man and instead wanted to pursue a law career? Who's laugh was "coarse" and she didn't smile enough? A feminist? Nasty bitch. Oh and she's a sex trafficker trading kids for sexual favors for money and power under a pizza restaurant. Or something. You can be crass and a legit moron like Sarah Palin as long as you've dropped a bunch of stupidly named spawn out of your snatch. God forbid being a career oriented woman who doesn't breed, I mean that's all women exist for according to a certain segment of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Annie B View Post
    ^^Like that uppity bitch Killary? Who was too good to bake cookies for her man and instead wanted to pursue a law career? Who's laugh was "coarse" and she didn't smile enough? A feminist? Nasty bitch. Oh and she's a sex trafficker trading kids for sexual favors for money and power under a pizza restaurant. Or something. You can be crass and a legit moron like Sarah Palin as long as you've dropped a bunch of stupidly named spawn out of your snatch. God forbid being a career oriented woman who doesn't breed, I mean that's all women exist for according to a certain segment of people.
    Still can't win....Hillary had Chelsea, who was what? A preteen when Clinton took office? And clearly they did a pretty damn good job raising her considering what an intelligent, well adjusted, and strong woman she grew up to be....even with all of that nasty feminism and career ambition Hillary had.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/arti...aign-2020.html

On the cover, the story of The Trump campaign, based on my interviews with more than 30 sources from the 2020 & 2016 campaigns, Republicans in politics & government at all levels, & people serving at the highest ranks of the Trump administration.

Jared vs. The World; Kellyanne vs. Brad Parscale; Trump vs. himself; the Campaign vs. reality. The portrait of the operation that emerged was so dysfunctional that I felt, at times, like I needed to hire a family therapist to moderate my interviews.
    -- Olivia Nuzzi
    tulip and twitchy2.0 like this.

Olivia Nuzzi reporting on Trump "volunteer events"

"About my reporting on the Trump campaign volunteer events that either did not exist or did not take place because there were no volunteers: the first one I went to was a two hour drive from Washington — more than four hours in the car total — and when I got there and nobody showed up, I was annoyed! I had wanted to see a volunteer training session! That was the whole idea! No volunteers = no training session to see. I was amused by this, sure, but I wasn’t happy about it. Because I wasn’t setting out to prove the ground game hype might be fiction.

When I got to the next event, the next night, and there were no volunteers there, either, I wasn’t annoyed exactly. It was very interesting to me, at that point, that this was starting to become a pattern. But I would’ve been happy to have been able to witness the training session.

The third Trump event was 4 hours from Washington — more than 8 hours driving in total. I point this out to emphasize the lengths, literally, I was going to in order to try to see the campaign in action. But there was no action to see. No event existed. That became the story

As I was doing this reporting, I kept thinking, Who the fuck has the time to do this kind of legwork? Very few reporters & very few publications have the time & resources to do the time consuming/expensive work of following your gut to check out something that might be nothing

To double check it, triple check it. To spend hours & hours that you’re not sure will amount to much. This is a privilege, but it shouldn’t be. I’m grateful to work for @NYMag , a place that values & supports the kind of journalism that is getting harder & harder to produce.

Here I am sitting in my rental car waiting for Trump campaign volunteers to show up to a scheduled campaign event in Pennsylvania that it would later turn out did not exist in the first place due to rampant incompetence within the Trump campaign Slightly frowning face.

Elite Member

I read the New York article. Interesting stuff, but a difficult read IMO, there are sentences jam-packed with so many asides that I had to re-read them over and over to understand them. At least one paragraph was composed of only one very long sentence.

I'm not a stupid person, and a good reader, but this? Yikes.

How Texas went from low voter turnout to nation's top early voting state

The fight to vote
    US elections 2020

From coronavirus concerns to changing demographics of new voters, a record number of people have voted in a state known for voter suppression tactics

The fight to vote is supported by
    About this content

Alexandra Villarreal in Austin
    Mon 26 Oct 2020 10.00 GMT Last modified on Mon 26 Oct 2020 12.58 GMT

Shares

Hundreds of voters wait in line to cast their vote during early voting in Austin, Texas, on 16 October. Photograph: Mario Cantu/CSM/ZUMA Wire/REX/Shutterstock “Donald Trump needs to be goin’ bye-bye,” Ann Wolfe said as she approached one of Austin’s Holiday Inn hotels, now doubling as a polling place.

Although the man in the White House claims he’s pro-life like her, she said, “under his watch, over 200,000 people are dead”. So while Wolfe was open to candidates from both parties down ballot, she planned to throw her support behind Democratic nominee Joe Biden, whom she thought was at least “a normal human being”.

“It seems like it’s the most important vote that we’ll ever have to have in this lifetime,” she said.
    The US may face its biggest ever ballot brawl this November. Sign up to our weekly email Fight to Vote to stay informed on election integrity and voting rights. In a tidal wave of political engagement, more than 7 million Texans have already cast a ballot during the general election, the vast majority in-person. The numbers are propelling what is historically one of the lowest voter turnout states to the top of the nation’s leaderboard in terms of the sheer number of people who have voted thus far. That groundswell of participation is even more striking in context, as democratic hurdles remain ever-present at the polls while fears of Covid-19 also loom large.

“What we’re seeing is that Texans will crawl through broken glass to be able to make sure their voices are heard this election,” said Abhi Rahman, communications director for the Texas Democratic party.
    In the midst of the early voting period, extended by Governor Greg Abbott amid the coronavirus pandemic, more than 40% of registered voters statewide had voted as of Friday, logging more than three-quarters of the total turnout from four years ago with over a week left in the election.
    “It is really quite something that people are turning out in the numbers that they are. And that they’re standing in line for hours when this is early voting, this is not Election Day, and many Texans have never done that before because it is such a low voter turnout state,” said Brittany Perry, an instructional associate professor in political science at Texas A&M University.

“In Texas, there’s still significant risk to voting in-person,”said Gabrielle Velasco, a national coordinator for Election Protection. Concerns around pandemic safety have become a recurring theme at her hotline, where uncomfortable callers describe voters or even election officials forgoing masks. “What we’re seeing is there’s still a number of challenges and obstacles of voter suppression that exist in Texas, even with an extended early vote period,” Velasco said.
    But Chairman Allen West, a Georgia native, retired Army lieutenant colonel and one-term Florida congressman who is the new head of the Republican party of Texas, insisted that he hadn’t heard of anyone who was unable to vote.
    “Of course there are long lines,” he quipped. “But then there are long lines to get on a ride at Disneyland or Six Flags Over Texas.”
    But there’s also a surge of new voters to account for – voters who are challenging the idea that Texas is always a red state.
    Constituents with a recent history of only voting in Republican primaries represent 31% of Texas’s general share of early votes in 2020 so far, compared to 25.8% for Democrats, according to Republican-focused political consulting company Ryan Data and Research. That leaves over 43% of the state’s vote broadly unaccounted for, with higher voter turnout rates usually favoring Democrats.
    “Texas has never been a red state, it’s been a non-voting state,” Rahman said. “Now that it is voting, all bets are off. And if we do the work, if we continue to push, we will flip the state.”

With a skyrocketing Hispanic population and a surge of around 1.9 million more registered voters since 2016, Texas’s electorate is evolving quickly.
    But the election is “still very much a toss-up”, and turning the state completely blue would come as a “huge shock”, Perry said.
    A Democratic presidential nominee hasn’t tasted victory there since 1976; as of now, Trump is slightly favored to win, while Biden is favored to take the election in its entirety.

West still believed Trump would be successful – in Texas and nationally. If self-proclaimed Republicans vote for Biden, “I would question whether or not they’re a Republican truthfully because their principles and values lead me to believe that they’re quite conflicted,” he said. But even prominent Texans from his party such as Senator John Cornyn have started to distance themselves from the polarizing president during this election year.

Other politicos, from former Texas Republican representatives Steve Bartlett and Alan Steelman to former Trump Hispanic advisor Jacob Monty, have vocally championed Biden. During a recent virtual press conference, they projected confidence that Trump is shedding sizable Republican support in Texas.

“I’ve not changed my philosophy,” Monty said. “I’ve just determined that Donald Trump is an existential threat to America, and a threat to the GOP.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...y-early-voting
    It seems like it’s the most important vote that we’ll ever have to have in this lifetime
    Ann Wolfe
    In Harris and El Paso counties, 41.3% and 32.4% of registered voters respectively had cast ballots by Friday, despite sometimes encountering three-hour-long waits, according to Election Protection. Broken machines thwarted residents in Travis and Fort Bend counties on the first day of early voting, yet both have already experienced turnout over 46% of registered voters as of last weekend. And, while there have been curbside voting issues in Bexar and Hidalgo counties, that hasn’t stopped nearly 600,000 people from participating in the electoral process, long before 3 November.
    Donald Trump and his broader agenda are likely at least part of what’s driving so many voters to the polls, said Emily M Farris, an associate professor of political science at Texas Christian University. “Trump’s path to the White House is basically impossible without winning Texas’ 38 electoral votes,” she said.
    And the president’s handling of the coronavirus crisis is weighing on people’s minds in the state, where cases persist and 17,700 people have died. “Obviously, the way, you know, this whole pandemic has panned out, I think it’s important for us to have support from our government. I just don’t feel that,” said Ileanna Mercado, a school counselor on her way to vote for Biden in Austin. “I just would like for our country to go in a very different direction.”
    Both Perry and Farris said that when they voted, it was their first experience ever having to stand in lines during an election in Texas – a sign of enthusiasm, but also of failing systems. Perry visited multiple polling places across two separate days before she finally voted.
    At her last destination, she called out a man who wasn’t wearing a mask, only to have him drape one across his chin in defiance after a poll worker offered it to him. Face coverings aren’t required at Texas polls, and despite the public health crisis, the Republican-dominated state government has refused to expand narrow vote-by-mail eligibility criteria.

I'mNotBitter and tulip like this.

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    I read the New York article. Interesting stuff, but a difficult read IMO, there are sentences jam-packed with so many asides that I had to re-read them over and over to understand them. At least one paragraph was composed of only one very long sentence.

I'm not a stupid person, and a good reader, but this? Yikes.
    And what is a "Campaign volunteer event", anyway? Is it a rally? Is it training to help organize and run a rally? Or to canvass and get out the vote???
    tulip likes this.

I thought this was pretty amazing.

Novice and tulip like this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Good post from Facebook:

Paul Brabham����
    There will be no concession call by trump. Not Tuesday, Wednesday,Thursday, Friday or ever. Not in this lifetime or lifetime's in the hereafter. There is something wrong with trump. There always has been. Had trump one speck of talent or personality or above average intelligence he probably could have been with the Hollywood crowd or the upper Manhattan echelon he longed for. But instead he hooked up with Roy Cohn and Jeffrey Epstein. All poor guys who somehow scammed their way to paydays and the NYC nightlife. Now trump finds himself in the freezing cold in places like Iowa and Michigan begging for more votes from people he doesn't care about and in truth never cared about. His supporters ( some former friends of mine) think they are good and decent people and definitely not racist. And I find that astounding. Because it's those negative qualities that trump tries to twist as positives and it's that "silence and excusing" that has turned "difference of opinion into hate". And that's the first thing I personally noticed when trump came to office. It wasn't that he differed with Obama. He hated Obama. And that's why he will never concede. Oh he will leave. But he will tell his followers he never lost.He was cheated. And they will believe him over the votes counted.
    The same way they believed in his University and that the virus was gonna disappear. Trump won't concede because then he would be wrong. And him and his base have a pact, lying is always better than the truth.

Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Oh hell no, he won't concede. There will be no concession call to Biden. There won't be any transition meetings or photo ops. Too bad, because maybe Biden could re-gift that Tiffany's frame they gave to the Obamas. They'll probably steal anything that's not nailed down and trash the rest. The entire place will need to be sanitized after they leave.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Ok, so here's the latest update from Scott County, Iowa.

We starting taking the ballots out of the secrecy envelopes to run through the machines. For the mail in ballots, which we had 38,000, I was wrong when I said it was Biden with a 4 to 1 edge. Since I saw all the ballots I processed, it was more like 8 to 1. Then we started on the early votes, and it started to even up, but Biden still had a 2 to 1 edge. Then I started to process the votes in north Scott County, which is where the farmers are. Trump dominated there. Probably beat Biden 8 to 1. But there aren't 38,000 farmers in North Scott County. So the edge still goes to Biden at this point.
    Trixie, mostroop, Novice and 4 others like this.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

So 45 just said he will declare himself the winner early on so people in the Western states will figure its all over and not vote. STAND YOUR GROUND AND VOTE EVEN IF THERE’S A LINE NO MATTER WHAT THE ORANGE ONE SAYS.
    So 45 just said he will declare himself the winner early on so people in the Western states will figure its all over and not vote. STAND YOUR GROUND AND VOTE EVEN IF THERE’S A LINE NO MATTER WHAT THE ORANGE ONE SAYS.

I am crossing my fingers for you guys in the US. I hope cheetolini gets booted out although I know there will be wtfery. But I have a good feeling Biden will win.
    Sarzy and funky_chicken like this.

Good luck to the Americans on here, hope you manage to get rid of Trump!
    czb, tulip and I'mNotBitter like this.

prettyprettyplease
    tulip likes this.
    -

Page 9 of 44 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread Information