Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Like Tree144Likes

Thread: Race to the White House 2020

I'm not sure where to ask this, but who is responsible for investigating and correcting voter suppression? Is it just up to the media and public to make a stink so big they can't ignore? Even so, who is "they?"

Because those reports of thousands and thousands of Kentucky voters showing up to closed polling locations, having only 1 location available for 100,000 voters, PLUS the BS about mail-in voting being fraudulent....I totally believe Trump will steal the election that way.
    czb, Mivvi21 and C_is_for_Cookie like this.

What I read about Kentucky - posted on FB from a friend who is a native of KY - is that they closed all the polling locations in Louisville b/c they didn't have enough polling volunteers. Instead they opened the expo center where they had 18 "locations" depending on your area inside and about 25 different lines to feed people through the different locations. https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/politics/elections/kentucky/2020/06/23/kentucky-primary-election-day-marked-covid-19-suppression-claims/3244169001/

I read that other than closing at 6pm - which is legally when their polls close - things went very smoothly.

I'm not trying to justify closing all the polling locations and moving them to one central place, I definitely think there was some attempt to suppress the vote in KY. I'm just saying it wasn't the shit show that Wisconsin was.

I'm all for mail in voting, Oregon does it and it's amazing. I vote from my couch after reading through the voting manual we all get in the mail. I then drive to a secure drop box, but I could just as easily put it back in the mail b/c postage is free. You can track your ballot online to be sure it arrived. Easy peasy! Our Republic Sec of State was just praising it and how we have such high voter turn out even for primaries.
    czb likes this.

I think mail-in voting is the best deterrent against fraud, mainly because there's a paper trail and it's harder to get rid of a multitude of physical votes than with those shitty machines (I know it's possible, but there's unwieldy physical evidence of the actual paper vote that I'd say makes it harder to "lose" or destroy than machines.)

I've already requested mine, and voted by mail for the primaries too.

But I worry about those states that don't do mail-in voting or make people jump through hoops.

Or....only have voting on election day, I'm looking at your Pennsylvania.

Silver Member

This article on polls regarding Biden/Trump made me feel sick. I had been feeling a little too confident this week. It brought me back down to earth. The fight is going to be long and hard over the next four months and possibly very close. Vote! Vote! Vote!

https://heavy.com/news/2020/06/lates...afalgar-group/

Yup. Don't take the foot off the gas.
    tulip and C_is_for_Cookie like this.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

I don't have much faith in polls either, especially after 2016! And I do agree there were a lot of stealth Trump voters back then. He will always have his base, but I do know a few people who've admitted they voted for him and will NOT do so again. Ya know, those Hillary haters who believed him when he said "what have you got to lose?" Now, they know.

I also worry about voter suppression and other interference. I truly do NOT believe he has a majority vote. Hope not an electoral majority either.

And also, who are the people they're polling? I've never been polled.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/5...op-out-of-race

Fox's Gasparino: GOP operatives raising possibility Trump 'could drop out of race' if polls don't rebound

A Fox News report on Sunday says that "GOP operatives are for the first time raising the possibility" that President Trump could drop out of the 2020 presidential race "if his poll numbers don’t rebound" against presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden.
    The report by Fox Business Network senior correspondent Charlie Gasparino, political reporter Andrew O'Reilly and producer Lydia Moynihan comes as the former vice president leads the Republican incumbent by 9.2 points in the RealClearPolitics index of major polls.
    The lead for Biden was 5.5 points right before the police killing of George Floyd, which sparked protests and unrest throughout the country. This came amid the coronavirus pandemic, which has killed more than 120,000 people in the United States. Trump has been heavily criticized for the administration's response to the crisis.

“It’s too early, but if the polls continue to worsen, you can see a scenario where he drops out,” a GOP operative who asked to remain anonymous told Fox News.
    Gasparino also reported that one "major player" within the Republican Party described "Trump's current psyche as 'fragile.'"
    Gasparino said he's "not convinced yet" that Trump will bow out. He noted that Biden has been largely pushed off the campaign trail by the coronavirus.

czb

yeah, but if trump bows out, what repub would run? mitt's day is done.

Well good, I hope the GOP rats finally jump off the obviously sinking ship.

I remember reading an article that said Republicans stood by Nixon until basically it became too embarrassing/untenable. We are at a crucial point now where the current President has denied something that is easily provably false. Plus, red states are succumbing to a surge in pandemic numbers. Right now, the silence (in defense of his performance by his normal supporters in the House and Senate) is pretty deafening.
    Trixie and C_is_for_Cookie like this.

Unless the Repub loyalists start publicly turning on him, I really don't see him dropping out. The man is delusional. And he lies all the time, about everything, and gets away with it.

They could always make up some health issues (which I believe he does have) and have him drop out to save face. But as czb says, who would run? Pence? I don't think fellow repubs would get behind Mitt.
    czb likes this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

czb

i'm gonna vote dem (even though i am not thrilled with our choice) but any repub would be better than trump. well, not sure about ted cruz. but anyone else.

Elite Member

Ted Cruz can't be President! He's not a natural born citizen. How he even got on the ballot for primaries astounds me.

What we really need is for more citizens to exercise their right to vote. The low turnout is pathetic. We take our democracy for granted, and look what it got us.

czb

trump isn't natural born, either. i'm convinced he was hatched in a wildlife preserve. and the baboons ignored him for years.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread Information