Page 43 of 83 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast
Like Tree3840Likes

Thread: Race to the White House 2020

I like your daughters thinking. Smart kid.
    lindsaywhit likes this.

That was quite funny.
    lindsaywhit likes this.

Gold Member

Flynn was pardoned.

Speculation mounts over who Trump might pardon after Flynn

Rick Gates, Trump’s 2016 deputy campaign chair, says president ‘knows how much those of us who worked for him have suffered’

Amid widespread outcry over Donald Trump’s pardon of Michael Flynn, speculation surged about who might be next for clemency from the defeated president.

Rick Gates, Trump’s 2016 deputy campaign chair, told the New York Times the president “knows how much those of us who worked for him have suffered, and I hope he takes that into consideration if and when he grants any pardons”.
    After Flynn pardon, could Trump do the same for himself?
    Read more

Gates was one of many Trump aides convicted under the former special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation of Russian election interference and links between Trump and Moscow. After pleading guilty to financial fraud and lying to investigators, he was sentenced to 45 days in jail.

Gates also told the Times his motivation for criticising Mueller in a recent book “was not to seek a pardon; it was to expose the truth about the Russia investigation”.

Flynn, a retired general who was fired from the Defense Intelligence Agency by Barack Obama in 2014, became a trusted campaign surrogate for Trump. But Trump fired him as national security adviser after just 24 days on the job, for lying to Vice-President Mike Pence about contacts with Russian officials.

He pleaded guilty to lying to the FBI but was not sentenced before Trump pardoned him on Wednesday, saying: “Have a great life General Flynn!”

Trump has already commuted a more than three-year sentence handed to Roger Stone, a longtime ally, for obstruction, lying to Congress and witness intimidation.
    Rick Gates leaves federal court in Washington DC on 17 December 2019.
    Rick Gates leaves federal court in Washington DC on 17 December 2019. Photograph: José Luis Magaña/AP

Former campaign manager Paul Manafort is in home confinement on a seven-year sentence for fraud. George Papadopoulos, a foreign policy adviser, was sentenced to 14 days in jail after pleading guilty to lying to the FBI. Michael Cohen, Trump’s former lawyer and fixer, was convicted of crimes including lying to Congress and orchestrating hush money payments and is completing a three-year term at home. As he has conclusively turned on the president, a pardon seems unlikely.
    Fight to vote: sign up for our US election newsletter
    Read more

Papadopoulos mounted an unsuccessful run for Congress and has also published a book. He told the Times: “Of course I would be honored to be pardoned

Outside the Mueller investigation, former campaign chief executive and White House strategist Steve Bannon was charged with fraud regarding fundraising for a border wall. Rudy Giuliani, the president’s lawyer and election lawsuit bulldog, is reportedly under investigation regarding possible violations of lobbying law. Elliott Broidy, a Trump fundraiser, pleaded guilty to lobbying charges.

In August, Patrick Cotter, a former federal prosecutor who helped convict the mob boss John Gotti, told the Guardian: “I believe it unprecedented in any US administration for so many of the closest circle of persons around the president to have been shown to be conmen, grifters and base criminals.

“While previous administrations had their share of those trying to personally profit and those willing to break the law to serve the political interests of the president, what is unique about the Trump administration is the large number of people in direct contact with the president, often for years, who are revealed to be out-and-out fraudsters for whom crime is apparently part of their lifestyle and character.”

Trump has pardoned allies including Joe Arpaio and Bernard Kerik and observers think he may even try to pardon himself. However, it is not clear such a move would be possible and if it was, it would not apply to cases at state level, such as those in New York concerning tax issues and campaign finance.

Trump has not conceded defeat by Joe Biden but he lost the electoral college by 306-232 and the popular vote by 6m ballots and will leave office on 20 January. Jockeying for pardons is a common feature of the waning days of any presidency. On one day in December 2016, Barack Obama issued 78 pardons and commuted 153 federal sentences.
    1:01
    'Will you pardon yourself?': Trump ignores questions after pardoning turkey – video

The Times also reported that Jared Kushner, Trump’s son-in-law and chief adviser, is leading an “ad-hoc” team “with a goal of announcing as many as hundreds of commutations for offenders now in jail for crimes ranging from non-violent drug convictions to mail fraud and money laundering”.

Most such pardons would be less controversial than the one handed to Flynn. However, among those campaigning for a pardon is Joseph Maldonado-Passage. Better known as Joe Exotic, the zookeeper subject of hit Netflix documentary Tiger King, he received a 22-year sentence for trying to hire a hitman to kill a rival.

Flynn retains influential supporters on the political right. The Wall Street Journal editorial board called his pardon “an overdue act of justice that ends four years of political harassment, unjustified prosecution and judicial abuse”.
    'Conmen, grifters and criminals': why is Trump's circle so at odds with the law?
    Read more

Critics pointed to Flynn’s guilty plea and the fact that contrary to a statement from the White House press secretary, Kayleigh McEnany, a pardon does not imply innocence.

Senior Democrats, including the House speaker, Nancy Pelosi; the Senate minority leader, Chuck Schumer; and the House intelligence chair, Adam Schiff, were among those to condemn the Flynn pardon as a serious abuse of power.

In a tweet, former federal prosecutor and CNN analyst Elie Honig laid out the facts of the case.

“Facts: Michael Flynn lied to the FBI about Russia. Flynn pled guilty, twice. Trump tried to kill the case and publicly floated a pardon. Flynn cooperated with Mueller, and then stopped. [Attorney general William] Barr tried to kill [the Department of Justice’s] own case but the judge resisted. Trump pardoned Flynn.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ynn-rick-gates

Donald J. Trump
    @realDonaldTrump
    ·
    Nov 25
    The “losers & suckers” statement on dead military heroes has been proven to be a total fabrication and lie. IT WAS NEVER MADE! The “anonymous” fabricator, who is a major sleaze, went forward with the lie despite 25 strong witnesses to the contrary. Welcome to the roaring 20’s!

Really????

Trump: Americans Who Died in War Are ‘Losers’ and ‘Suckers’

The president has repeatedly disparaged the intelligence of service members, and asked that wounded veterans be kept out of military parades, multiple sources tell The Atlantic.
    Jeffrey Goldberg
    September 3, 2020
    When President Donald Trump canceled a visit to the Aisne-Marne American Cemetery near Paris in 2018, he blamed rain for the last-minute decision, saying that “the helicopter couldn’t fly” and that the Secret Service wouldn’t drive him there. Neither claim was true.

Trump rejected the idea of the visit because he feared his hair would become disheveled in the rain, and because he did not believe it important to honor American war dead, according to four people with firsthand knowledge of the discussion that day. In a conversation with senior staff members on the morning of the scheduled visit, Trump said, “Why should I go to that cemetery? It’s filled with losers.” In a separate conversation on the same trip, Trump referred to the more than 1,800 marines who lost their lives at Belleau Wood as “suckers” for getting killed.

Where will Ivanka and Jared reside? Couple renovates Bedminster home amid news they will be unwelcome in New York

New plans for couple’s New Jersey property include ‘relocated helicopter’, four new pickleball courts, and spa and yoga complex
    Danielle Zoellner
    New York
    @dani__zoellner
    1 day ago

Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner have plans to extend their home in Bedminster, New Jersey, amid news the couple might not be welcomed warmly back into the New York social scene following the Trump presidency.

Plans for the couple’s New Jersey property – which resides on the grounds of Trump National Golf Club – include new rooms within the home, a “relocated helicopter”, four new pickleball courts, a spa and yoga complex, and five "cottages" of 5,000 square feet each, The New York Times reports.

Ms Trump and her husband have yet to reveal where they might base themselves permanently once President-elect Joe Biden takes office on 20 January and they lose their positions as White House advisors. The couple relocated to Washington DC following Donald Trump winning the presidency in 2016.

Prior to the election win, the couple lived in Manhattan with the rest of the Trump family. But a welcomed return might not come.

Mr Trump established himself as a Florida resident and will likely move permanently to his Mar-a-Lago resort over returning to Manhattan.

His daughter and son-in-law could follow to Florida, as Mar-a-Lago undergoes its own renovations, but it would be unlikely for them to establish permanent residence on the property.

Ms Trump and Mr Kushner own a home on the Florida property, but First Lady Melania Trump was expected to establish permanent residence at Mar-a-Lago, and she and her step daughter reportedly have a frosty relationship

Last edited by HWBL; November 27th, 2020 at 06:52 PM.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by HWBL View Post
    OMG... says who? Someone needs to have him STFU. Enough of the tantruming. I heard a clip from some press conference and he was comparing Biden's votes to Obama's and saying that it was impossible than Biden got more votes than Obama in swing states.

Another thing I heard... intelligence is afraid of Trump selling US secrets. Lovely. Can't he just go down to Mar-a-Lago and play golf til he dies?

I'm hopeful that SDNY has some serious shit on Trump and are just waiting while building a case against him. Twitter and FB are going to have to ban him because he will violate their TOS pretty quick. He's a shitty person, a shitty president, and I guarantee he would sell state secrets for cash because he's also a shitty business man.
    mostroop, tulip, Beeyotch and 7 others like this.

Uno, dos, tres,
    Biden wins the race!
    Cuatro, cinco, seis,
    No more mango face!

Novice, BITTER, fgg and 2 others like this.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Holy S—t. I thought tiny desk was in Maralago. They didn’t even bother to decorate the tree or mantle.
    Mrs Fawlty likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by lindsaywhit View Post
    Me to Daughter this afternoon: "How on earth was Trump able to wreck havoc on this election? It's crazy to me that he's apparently not breaking any laws!?!"

Daughter: "Mom, you know those warnings on plastic bags - 'Do Not Eat This Plastic Bag?' - and you think,... um,... what? What moron is trying to eat plastic bags? Two years from now there are going to be a whole new slew of election laws because we elected one of those morons."
    Out of the mouths of babes and all of that...
    Mrs Fawlty likes this.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

Quote Originally Posted by ikmccall View Post
    Holy S—t. I thought tiny desk was in Maralago. They didn’t even bother to decorate the tree or mantle.
    I genuinely thought that somebody had photoshopped him into the pic of the tiny desk. Until I saw film of it!!!!!
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
    Novice likes this.

The tiny desk is for signings when there's a group of people you want to fit into the photo.

For a lone person, it looks odd.
    I'mNotBitter likes this.
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

"Trump is, in my opinion, the first woman president of the United States." -- Roseanne Barr

Whole lotta lefthanders in there!

Thread Information