Page 42 of 83 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344454652 ... LastLast
Like Tree3840Likes

Thread: Race to the White House 2020

More from Vanity Fair.

Steven Mnuchin Swears He’s Not Tanking the Economy Just to F--k Over Joe Biden

Something you’re probably aware of by now, unless you live in a cave or exclusively get your news from @realDonaldTrump and his big boy sons, is that there’s a very contagious disease ravaging the globe that is not just killing more than a million people but jobs and businesses as well. Jobs, for the lazy rich who are unaware, are how people buy stuff like food and pay for things like shelter. So losing them is bad; less bad if you live in a society where the government actually cares about people and doesn’t just say, “tough shit, them’s the breaks,” when you lose one, and more bad if you live in, for example, the United States of America. The current Treasury secretary presumably knows this and, yet, he’s apparently hoping to make a bad situation even worse!

On Thursday, Steven Mnuchin said that he doesn’t plan to extend a number of key emergency lending programs beyond the end of the year, asking the Federal Reserve to return the money supporting them to the Treasury. While the programs expire at the end of 2020, investors had expected them to continue without interruption, given that COVID-19 is spiraling out of control and continues to pose major economic risks. As The New York Times reports, “the pandemic-era programs...have provided an important backstop that has calmed critical markets since the coronavirus took hold in March,” and “removing them could leave significant corners of the financial world vulnerable to the type of volatility that cascaded through the system as virus fears mounted in the spring.” And while any Joe Biden–appointed Treasury secretary would likely restart them immediately, Mnuchin’s move would significantly delay doing so. In a rare critical statement, the Federal Reserve said it “would prefer that the full suite of emergency facilities established during the coronavirus pandemic continue to serve their important role as a backstop for our still-strained and vulnerable economy,” which is Fed-speak for “Bitch, the fuck is wrong with you? The economy is hanging on by a thread here!”

Per the Times:

With coronavirus cases on the rise, the economy may sour again, making the programs more necessary. As recently as Tuesday, [Fed chair Jerome] Powell warned of the potential for economic scarring and said that the economic recovery had “a long way to go.”

Mnuchin, of course, is one of Donald Trump’s most devoted lackeys and Trump would obviously love nothing more than to choke the economy to death right before his successor takes over. The U.S. Chamber of Commerce denounced the move, with Neil Bradley, the group’s executive vice president, saying, “a surprise termination of the Federal Reserve’s emergency liquidity program, including the Main Street Lending Program, prematurely and unnecessarily ties the hands of the incoming administration and closes the door on important liquidity options for businesses at a time when they need them most.” As the Associated Press notes, “many progressive economists have argued that,” with the election of Biden, “a Democratic-led Treasury could support the Fed taking on more risk and making more loans to small and mid-sized businesses and cash-strapped cities under these programs. That would provide at least one avenue for the Biden administration to provide stimulus without going through Congress.” Stimulus that, for some reason, Mitch McConnell is in no hurry to get out to struggling Americans.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020...-biden-economy

Oh FFS!!

Key GOP Michigan canvassing board member expected to vote against certifying results

A key Republican on the Michigan canvassing board is expected to vote against certifying the state's election results on Monday, a potential boon for the Trump campaign's conspiracy theory-fueled effort to delay the finalization of results.
    According to Michigan GOP Rep. Paul Mitchell, who said he spoke days ago with Norman Shinkle, one of the two GOP members on the board, Shinkle indicated last week he would vote against certifying the election results until an investigation is completed so as to push a delay even though there is no evidence of fraud or malfeasance that would necessitate such a move.
    Shinkle told the New York Times that he had received hundreds of messages both favoring and opposing certification.
    "You can't make up your mind before you get all the facts," he told the Times.
    Shinkle has not returned CNN's requests for comment.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/22/polit...ion/index.html
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Well, he did vote to abstain, but it was still a 3-1 vote to certify the ballots. Biden has won Michigan. And the GSA person finally agreed this afternoon to ascertainment. I think the crisis is just about over.

Thank gawd. I saw his lawyer, the woman who's left (can't remember her name) on msnbc, arguing with Ari Melber. Obnoxious. I think they will keep filing lawsuits, hoping to get this to the Supreme Court, but that will go nowhere. If Trump thinks they will hand him the presidency because they *owe* him for appointing them, he's truly delusional. The sooner the cases get there, the better. Then it can be truly over. He needs to start packing his bags.
    Kittylady and Jadestone like this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Finally!

I definitely think he's hoping to take his case to the Supreme Court in the hope that his 3 appointees will go his way. Unfortunately for him, he's heading to the appellate courts next and you can't present new evidence there, they only rule on the evidence already presented. Which we all know is next to nothing.
    Kittylady and Novice like this.

So far, I'm pretty impressed with Biden's cabinet nominees. Lots of experience and diversity there. Such a relief to see the adults will be back in charge soon.
    czb, tulip, Jadestone and 7 others like this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Donald Trump accepts US presidency transition to Joe Biden must begin

Published

10 minutes ago

Donald Trump has accepted a formal US transition should begin for President-elect Joe Biden to take office.

The president said the federal agency overseeing the handover must "do what needs to be done", even as he vowed to keep contesting his election defeat.

The General Services Administration (GSA) said it was acknowledging Mr Biden as the "apparent winner".

It came as Mr Biden's victory in the state of Michigan was officially certified, a major blow to Mr Trump.

The GSA announcement means the president-elect now has access to top security briefings, office space and government officials as he prepares to take office on 20 January.

BBC news.com
    Sarzy likes this.

Elite Member

About fucking time.

I see randy quaid went off the deep end again.

I think he's already been in the deep end for years now.

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    I see randy quaid went off the deep end again.
    I had to see what you were talking about.

Trump Mocked After Telling GOP to Listen to Randy Quaid's Election Demand

6:42 AM PST 11/24/2020 by Ryan Parker
    • FACEBOOK
    • TWITTER
    • EMAIL ME

Scott Halleran/Getty Images
    Randy Quaid poses on the street during the Sundance Film Festival on Jan. 19, 2008, in Park City, Utah.

Social media users said they would rather not have Cousin Eddie, referencing the actor's character from the 'National Lampoon's Vacation' franchise, dictating how U.S. elections work.

Donald Trump was roundly mocked on social media Tuesday morning after he inexplicably began sharing days-old tweets from Randy Quaid, who called for a 2020 election do-over.
    The one-time Oscar nominee and now disgraced actor is a fervent Trump supporter who often claims that the president is the best in the history of the office — usually with a strobe light going in his tweets.
    Days ago the actor, known for his role as Cousin Eddie in the National Lampoon's Vacation franchise, tweeted, "We’ve lost confidence in the system that elects our leaders. 79 million Americans believe election was rigged, the results fraudulent. We need an in-person-only-paper ballot re-vote, especially in the States where flagrant irregularities have occurred. No accuracy, no democracy!" The post was tagged by Twitter with, "This claim about election fraud is disputed," which linked to factual news stories about Joe Biden's projected victory.
    Trump, apparently just finding the tweets as he continues to rage against the election he lost to Biden, shared the message with, "Are you listening Republicans?"
    Trump shared additional outlandish messages from Quaid, which got the actor trending as numerous Twitter users said they would rather not have Cousin Eddie dictating how U.S. elections work.
    A few hours after Trump's tweets, Quaid reacted to his name making headlines by claiming mainstream media was "outraged" over his do-over suggestion. That tweet was also roundly mocked by users.
    When you take your policy and electoral cues from Randy Quaid. pic.twitter.com/6kybEH5aIk
    — Tim O'Brien (@TimOBrien) November 24, 2020
    8:20 a.m.: Updated with Quaid tweet.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

He Re-Tweeted Randy Quaid five times. In. A. Row.
    HWBL, C_is_for_Cookie and BITTER like this.

How fucking sad is that? I mean, really. He has no one left but Don Jr and the misfit toys defending him on twitter.

Seriously could you imagine what in person voting (only) would be like without a pandemic.
    How are the forces going to vote? It's not like you can set up a polling station when they're on manovers in Afghanistan or somewhere....
    lindsaywhit and Kittylady like this.

Me to Daughter this afternoon: "How on earth was Trump able to wreck havoc on this election? It's crazy to me that he's apparently not breaking any laws!?!"

Daughter: "Mom, you know those warnings on plastic bags - 'Do Not Eat This Plastic Bag?' - and you think,... um,... what? What moron is trying to eat plastic bags? Two years from now there are going to be a whole new slew of election laws because we elected one of those morons."

Thread Information