Page 39 of 83 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041424349 ... LastLast
Like Tree3840Likes

Thread: Race to the White House 2020

'Just ridiculous': CNN speaks to Georgia voter the Trump campaign falsely accused of casting ballot in the name of a dead woman

By Konstantin Toropin, Daniel Dale and Amara Walker, CNN

Updated 1533 GMT (2333 HKT) November 18, 2020

Atlanta (CNN)President Donald Trump's campaign and Fox News host Tucker Carlson alleged last week that a vote cast by a Georgia woman named Deborah Jean Christiansen was fraudulent.
    The allegation was false -- like two other voter fraud claims the Trump campaign and Carlson leveled against legal Georgia voters last week.

The campaign and Carlson said this vote was a fraud because Deborah Jean Christiansen died last year. In fact, the vote was legally cast by a living woman who also happens to be named Deborah Jean Christiansen, born in the same year and month but on a different day.

Christiansen answered the door when CNN showed up on Tuesday evening.
    Christiansen, a retired mental health counselor who moved from Nebraska to Georgia in September, said she voted for Trump in 2016 but came to regret the decision, then voted for Joe Biden in 2020.

Christiansen said the false accusation from the Trump campaign is "just ridiculous," part of an effort by a "narcissist" president to deny the obvious reality of his defeat.

"The guy lost the election. He should be worried more about taking care of people, with this Covid-19 going on. He's got a pandemic," she said. "Come on. Biden won. Let's move on. Let's help him transition."
    Not the first time
    It is not clear whether the Trump campaign intentionally or unintentionally mixed up the living Deborah Jean Christiansen and the deceased Deborah Jean Christiansen. Regardless of its motive, though, the President's team was falsely alleging a crime had occurred -- and needlessly putting private citizens in the national spotlight.

And it was not the only time the Trump campaign did so.
    Last week, CNN debunked two other false claims from the campaign, both echoed by Carlson on air and in an online column, about ballots supposedly being cast in the name of deceased Georgia voters. (Carlson ended up apologizing on air for one of those claims -- in which he and the Trump campaign had wrongly accused a 96-year-old widow -- and had an editor's note about the correction attached to his column.)

The Christiansen saga began on November 11, when the campaign's "war room" account tweeted: "Mrs. Deborah Jean Christiansen of Roswell, Georgia was registered to vote on October 5. Then she voted in the election. The only problem? She passed away a year and a half ago, in May 2019. Sadly, Mrs. Christiansen is a victim of voter fraud."
    The allegation generated more than 10,000 retweets. And Trump's Twitter account, which had nearly 89 million followers as of Tuesday, retweeted a "war room" clip of the television segment in which Carlson repeated the allegation; the tweet of the clip generated more than 27,000 retweets.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/11/18/p...sen/index.html

Bet if she had voted for Trump again he wouldn't have drawn attention to this.
    tulip likes this.

Trump lashes out in new bid to tarnish an election he lost

Analysis by Stephen Collinson, CNN

Updated 0921 GMT (1721 HKT) November 18, 202

(CNN)President Donald Trump flexed the power of his office Tuesday to tarnish America's free and fair election, sacking the official who declared the vote the most secure in US history, even as more of his false claims of massive fraud were exposed as baseless in court.
    The revenge firing, the President's latest assault against the infrastructure of US democracy, comes as he refuses to accept his defeat and to begin the process of transitioning power to President-elect Joe Biden -- an impasse that is especially dangerous amid a worsening pandemic.
    Trump wrote that he terminated Chris Krebs, a senior Department of Homeland Security official, for contradicting his own baseless allegations of irregularities. The President, his campaign and political allies have made multiple efforts, which started well before the election, to falsely argue that he was cheated out of a second term. His effort appears motivated by a desire to explain away his clear defeat by the former vice president but is also part of a pattern of behavior designed to discredit Biden's presidency and to enshrine national divides that he consciously widened as a tool of power.

In other apparent attempts to cast doubt on the integrity of the election -- unprecedented in modern history -- Trump ally Sen. Lindsey Graham was embroiled in a controversy after calling election officials in Nevada, Arizona and Georgia -- three key states won by Biden -- to question them on procedures for mail-in ballots, which generally favored Biden. And two Republicans broke with tradition in Michigan, another state where the Democratic nominee triumphed, in temporarily blocking the certification of the election in Wayne County, where Biden beat the President. Michigan's Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson, a Democrat, later told CNN's Chris Cuomo that the officials relented and agreed to certify the vote.
    The latest maneuvers by Trump and his allies came as more of the President's long-shot legal challenges and threadbare cases alleging election fraud were exposed in the courts.
    The President's latest Hail Mary attempt to overturn the election result in one of the multiple states won by Biden came unstuck, this time in the Pennsylvania Supreme Court.
    The Keystone State's top bench ruled that there was nothing in state law requiring ballot observers to stand within six feet of vote counts as the Trump campaign had argued. The decision undercuts the President's claim his supporters were unfairly discriminated against and that therefore the results in Pennsylvania, where Biden won by tens of thousands of votes, should be ruled invalid.
    In a separate Pennsylvania case, Trump's lawyer Rudolph Giuliani stepped in to lead a chaotic legal effort trying to prove that Democrats committed election fraud over absentee ballots. Other judges have previously rejected such claims.
    Another of Trump's all but non-existent openings to change the election result championed by conservative media also appeared to be closing.
    An election audit in Georgia was expected to finish by Wednesday ahead of the official certification of the ballot on Friday. Officials said the results were largely tracking original tallies that handed victory to Biden, further tarnishing Trump's claims of widespread fraud.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/11/18/p...ion/index.html
    tulip likes this.

HHS secretary says department won't work with Biden's team until federal agency determines he won

By Kristen Holmes and Devan Cole, CNN

Updated 2056 GMT (0456 HKT) November 18, 2020

Washington (CNN)The Health and Human Services Department will not work with President-elect Joe Biden's team until the General Services Administration makes a determination that he won the election, Secretary Alex Azar said Wednesday, even as public health experts stress that a smooth transition is a critical part of the government's response to the worsening coronavirus pandemic.
    "We've made it very clear that when GSA makes a determination, we will ensure complete, cooperative professional transitions and planning," Azar said at a briefing. "We follow the guidance. We're about getting vaccines and therapeutics invented and get the clinical trial data and saving lives here. That's where our focus is as we go forward with our efforts."

Azar was referring to a process known as "ascertainment," a routine recognition by the GSA in the face of a clear presidential victory that would allow the official transition to begin. But although major news networks called the election for Biden nearly two weeks ago, President Donald Trump's campaign has launched long-shot legal challenges in several states, even though they have little chance of overturning the results

CNN.com

It is completely ridiculous and putting our nation in danger by not "ascertaining" the election. Every other damn President-Elect has had this done for them in a timely manner. Trump is a toddler throwing a tantrum. The GOP and the Senate need to buck up and accept Joe Biden as President Elect. Screw Trump and his tantrum. Why does one person have so much control over these senators?
    Novice, HWBL, lindsaywhit and 7 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dolem View Post
    It is completely ridiculous and putting our nation in danger by not "ascertaining" the election. Every other damn President-Elect has had this done for them in a timely manner. Trump is a toddler throwing a tantrum. The GOP and the Senate need to buck up and accept Joe Biden as President Elect. Screw Trump and his tantrum. Why does one person have so much control over these senators?
    It's not him; it's his puppet master. There are many skeletons in many closets.
    mostroop, garysgirl1999 and tulip like this.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

This should somehow be criminal. It's making me so crazy mad I can't even talk about it without my blood pressure skyrocketing.
    Jadestone, HWBL and tulip like this.

He's going to have to be dragged out kicking and screaming. He's going to milk the drama for all it's worth.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

I think a lot of it has to do with the GA runoffs. They know they've lost the presidency (and they might be relieved about that) but they damn sure don't want to lose the Senate. They can't risk pissing off Trump and his base because they need those votes.
    HWBL, tulip and Patty Rox like this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    I think a lot of it has to do with the GA runoffs. They know they've lost the presidency (and they might be relieved about that) but they damn sure don't want to lose the Senate. They can't risk pissing off Trump and his base because they need those votes.
    Ooooh... good point. I can totally see that.

Joy Reid made me laugh the other night because this one guest was saying how they are letting the President process all of this and it's really hard for him. She was all "he's a grown man, not a toddler!" and she reflected how I felt -- the way she said it, her voice, facial expressions. However, by now, even a toddler, with the loving guidance of his parents, would be past this disappointment and would have learned a life lesson about sometimes you lose, do it gracefully and move on.

The way they are all tiptoeing around the Orange Menace and his giant ego is ridiculous... but he's so mercurial and egocentric that who knows what he'll do. I've heard he wants to build a media empire and stage a comeback. I hope that except for his pet media outlets no legitimate media gives him the time of day after he leaves office. The media circus around Donald and their constant coverage of him when he was running is one of the reasons I think we got in this mess to begin with.

As much as I like Joy Reid, I couldnít watch that interview. Cult of personality.

I don't know if I believe he's having a hard time processing this. He knows he lost. He knows that all these lawsuits and challenges won't change a thing. This was not a close race. He's just putting on a show for his base and dragging this out to get more contributions, and to make things as difficult as possible for Biden, who he hates because Biden's an extension of his arch enemy, Barack Obama. He's a petty, vindictive man- boy. He doesn't care about the harm he is doing to the people, the country, or national security. But then again, he never did.
    czb, Jadestone, SHELLEE and 2 others like this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by ikmccall View Post
    As much as I like Joy Reid, I couldn’t watch that interview. Cult of personality.
    I like Joy in small doses. She is sooooooooo opinionated and not in a "huh, makes you think?" way some of the other personalities are. She was so incredulous in her reaction. Trump has lowered the bar for expectations and behavior to below sea level. We're letting have a temper tantrum that is impacting the entire country because he is so fragile and mercurial. Crazy.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    I don't know if I believe he's having a hard time processing this. He knows he lost. He knows that all these lawsuits and challenges won't change a thing. This was not a close race. He's just putting on a show for his base and dragging this out to get more contributions, and to make things as difficult as possible for Biden, who he hates because Biden's an extension of his arch enemy, Barack Obama. He's a petty, vindictive man- boy. He doesn't care about the harm he is doing to the people, the country, or national security. But then again, he never did.
    That's probably closer to the truth. Either way, he doesn't possess the emotional intelligence of a stable adult.
    Trixie and Jadestone like this.

How is SNL supposed to parody something like this???

Rudy Giuliani's hair dye trickled down his face at a wild news conference where he quoted 'My Cousin Vinny' to support his claims about the election

Sonam Sheth
    1 hour ago

Rudy Giuliani speaking at a news conference on November 19 in Philadelphia. AP
    • Rudy Giuliani gave a bizarre press conference Thursday in which he quoted "My Cousin Vinny," floated unfounded conspiracy theories, and claimed President Donald Trump won an election that he decisively lost.
    • In the middle of the press conference, Giuliani's hair dye started running down the side of his face.
    • At one point, someone who was operating the Trump campaign's official feed of the press conference could be heard saying, "You see f---ing Rudy's hair dye dripping down his face?"
    • Photos and videos captured the moment for posterity.

WTF?? the orange motherfucker is actually trying to arm-twist gop states that voted for Biden to overturn the will of the people, by certifying them for him instead!! And no one is challenging this scumbag?? What the hell has this country turned into?? When are that piece of shit and his enablers going to be charged with treason?? Is anyone going to stop them or are we all going to just sit back and watch him and his enablers shit and piss on the constitution and then set it on fire??

President Donald Trump has invited Republican state lawmakers from Michigan to the White House on Friday, according to a person familiar with the matter, as the President and his legal team are mounting an effort to overturn the results of the election he lost to President-elect Joe Biden.

Trump also called two Republican canvass board members from Wayne County, to Tuesday to offer his support, the person said, after they went back and forth on voting to certify the election results from the state's largest county, which includes Detroit. The board members filed affidavits Wednesday seeking to "rescind" their votes to certify the election result.

Trump extended the invitation on Thursday morning to the Michigan lawmakers by calling the state senate's Republican majority leader, the person familiar said.

Certification is usually a formality, but Trump is trying to block or delay the process in key states as part of a long-shot effort to overturn his election defeat through the Electoral College. Trump's lawyer Rudy Giuliani and other allies have suggested that GOP state legislatures in battleground states Biden won should try to use a delay in certification to appoint their own slate of electors and ignore the states' popular votes for Biden.

It comes as Trump's legal team's options to challenge election results in states Trump lost are rapidly evaporating and as states move to certify their election results. Trump's lawyer Rudy Giuliani held a 90-minute news conference Thursday where he and his team laid out dubious legal claims, aired debunked conspiracy theories and brought no specific, credible evidence of voter fraud.

"This is very dangerous for our democracy, as it is an attempt to thwart the will of the voters through political pressure from the President," CNN election law expert Rick Hasen wrote in his website. "Even though it is extremely unlikely to work, it is profoundly antidemocratic and a violation of the rule of law. It's inexcusable."

The campaign's arguments in court have roundly failed, with lawsuits being dropped or dismissed in Arizona, Michigan and Pennsylvania.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/19/polit...ump/index.html
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Thread Information