Page 38 of 83 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast
Like Tree3840Likes

Thread: Race to the White House 2020

lindsaywhit and I'mNotBitter like this.

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    ^^^ Looks like Parler is a wonderful place! Who would want to post there???

^Parler post which later turned out to be fake and has since been taken down. But in the mean time, plenty of Parler members probably took it seriously as an order from "higher up".

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    People have been calling it MeinSpace.

^MagaMerch on the Maga protest day. Enough said.

Last edited by HWBL; November 15th, 2020 at 05:58 PM.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

A longer read, but worth it. Love Vanity Fair!

https://www-vanityfair-com.cdn.amppr...n-island-alone

“Everyone With Self-Respect Will Steer Clear”: For Ivanka and Jared, the Post–White House Future Is an Island Alone

Emily Jane Fox
    November 13, 2020 4:32 PM

Something started to spread over the summer when Donald Trump turned the White House lawn into a venue for the Republican National Convention finale and potentially a living, breathing Hatch Act violation. It wasn’t a COVID-19 outbreak—that would come later, at another White House celebration with scant masks and a misguided reliance on rapid tests. What circulated, in text-message exchanges from the Hamptons to Hollywood, was a split second of footage taken as cameras panned the crowd. In it, viewers caught sight of friends of Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner, including Wendi Deng Murdoch and Tico Mugrabi. Murdoch, a longtime close friend of the couple and Rupert’s ex-wife, wore a red and white floral dress and a red face mask that blared “MAGA” across the mouth.

Until then, the small group that remained friends with the president’s daughter and son-in-law had largely done so in private. Last fall, for instance, Jared and Ivanka hosted a group, including Murdoch and Mugrabi, oil heir Mikey Hess and fashion designer Misha Nonoo, LionTree founder Aryeh Bourkoff, the Trump siblings, and Josh Kushner without his wife, supermodel-entrepreneur Karlie Kloss, at Camp David to celebrate their 10th wedding anniversary. Details about the celebrations leaked out, but the guest list remained guarded, at least from the public. (It spread within their social circles, and friends raised eyebrows and privately ridiculed those who had chosen to attend, according to several people familiar with the conversations. Kloss, who did not, was spared. “Karlie is the anti-Ivanka,” a former friend explained. “Independent, self-made, naturally beautiful, and truly authentic.”) When the couple traveled to Rome for Hess and Nonoo’s wedding weeks earlier and paparazzi circled, guests scurried out of frame so as not to be caught in photos with them, these people said.

Those who remained in frame, as one person put it to me, served as something of a predicate for what’s to come now that all eyes are on the couple’s post-West Wing life. Among the social set that Jared and Ivanka would prefer to rejoin—the one they occupied aboard Adriatic-anchored yachts and on the carpet at the Met Gala—there is a sense of looking around for who, if anyone, will welcome them back. Case in point: an article speculating that Ivanka would attempt to reenter the New York art scene spread around their social circle and wound up in my inbox a dozen times. (For what it’s worth, people familiar with the first daughter’s art collection referred to it as “unimpressive before COVID,” but, post-COVID, “virtually unsaleable.”)

The vast array of responses I’ve collected over the past week have amounted to a few key takeaways: The couple will be accepted, whether in New York or Palm Beach, by a combination of society-adjacent couples and real-deal Republicans, but not by the group of people to which they would like to belong, and not without social consequences for those who do choose to pal around with Jivanka.

“They’ll be welcomed back by people who know the Trumps are as close as they’ll get to power,” one former friend told me. “But everyone with self-respect, a career, morals, respect for democracy, or who doesn’t want their friends to shame them both in private and public will steer clear.” As another longtime former acquaintance explained, “They will probably be welcomed by real estate types and that group of Upper East Side and Palm Beach families that read about themselves in Quest magazine but don’t matter.”

“There will always be private dinner parties for them to attend, but they will be the entertainment,” this person continued. “And Ivanka is no Princess Margaret and Jared is not the Duke of Windsor regaling guests with amusing bon mots to a captive audience. No one wants to hear about Sarah Huckabee’s pies or Steve Bannon’s shirts.”

The question of school for their three children looms too. According to several people familiar with the situation, earlier this fall Jared and Ivanka’s children switched out of the Jewish day school they’d attended since moving to D.C. There’s some debate over what happened. Some parents say it’s because the Trump–Kushners weren’t taking COVID safety seriously enough. (Given that there have been super-spreader events at the White House, the concern is understandable.) Others say the family wanted to put their kids into an in-person school. Regardless, if they do move back to New York, or to New Jersey or Florida, reactions from their fellow parents will likely be mixed. “I personally can’t imagine them going back to school [in New York or New Jersey], but there are people in those communities who would freaking love it,” a father of children in their former community told me. “I know there’s a pocket who would be super into it.” Another mom from their former community in New York and New Jersey added, “From an Israel and a financial perspective, some parents there support Trump. And they want to be near power and extreme wealth.” A second mom from a New York Jewish school said that travel would be a major concern, as Ivanka has hopped from one campaign event to the next in state after state, and Kushner has been traveling by his father-in-law’s side. “I don’t think you can send your kids to school if someone in your household has been out of the tristate area,” she said.

Which begs the question of how Ivanka and Jared will occupy themselves come January. Will they continue to campaign for Republicans? Will they be back and forth to Washington? Will they just want to sun themselves at Mar-a-Lago or in Tel Aviv? The couple has changed markedly since they left New York for Washington nearly four years ago. Ivanka on stage at the RNC, introducing her father as she had four years earlier, had hardened. She wasn’t the so-called moderating influence that so many people had wanted her to be, though that was never her plan. She had been publicly criticized by the world she left behind (and snubbed by world leaders who ignored her to her face), so there was no reason to cater to them anymore. She, like her father, had been buoyed by the crowds at events she keynoted. Those people in red hats who wait in line to see her—and, to be sure, there are many—are her people now. She was no longer the liberal outlier who privately disagreed with her father; they had become one and the same.

Plans have not yet been laid for what’s next, according to a person close to them. “Should someone in the family choose to run, they have a significant hold on the Republican Party, potentially for many, many, many years,” this person said. The same goes for the rest of her family, who see themselves as having a key role in the direction of the party, as something of kingmakers for what is to come. “As a result of working in the White House, Jared has made international trade and peace deals, he’s on good terms with people all across the world, and so the opportunities are significant. You can imagine the extent of his connections,” the person said, pointing to what some have suspected all along: that Kushner used his position in the White House to ensure a cozier life after the administration. Plus, this person added, President Trump could be back in 2024. Then, all bets are off.

Regardless of where they settle and whether they find acceptance, they’ll never be free of prying eyes. “People will be nice to their faces,” a former friend said. “After all, it’s called polite society for a reason. But people will be falling all over themselves the next day to say how awful they’d been and how they had no idea. Her father’s vulgarity and his father’s criminality will always loom too large in the background.”
    Trixie and lindsaywhit like this.

People like Susan Collins and Joni Ernst won, because there were a lot of people that didn't vote for Trump, but went down ticket. They either voted for Biden, or no one. I did have a few that did write ins, Mike Pence, Mitt Romney, Mickey Mouse, etc....

Dems are horrible at branding and messaging. And they party will eat their own from the purity police. When running for President, I got a call for a survey on Kristen Gillibrand. I made it very known she will never get support for how she railroaded Al Franken over nothing.

It would have been a bigger slaughter if Bernie or Elizabeth was the nominee. I caucused for Biden, because he was the only one that I thought could pul some GOP voters. As much as I love Mayor Pete and how wicked smart he is, America is not going to vote for a gay man for president. Clearly, we are not that enlightened.

I also wish states would put out a step by step of how mail in ballots work, and how they are counted. Most morons have no idea that you write your ID number on your ballot, so it can be tracked. Most people have no idea that they ballots are time stamped when received. they literally think there are totes of votes just sitting there that "magically" show up. They have no idea what the law is, or the trail that is attached to each vote.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Source: CNN

Meet Rebekah Mercer, the deep-pocketed co-founder of Parler, a controversial conservative social network

By Alexis Benveniste, CNN Business
    Updated 0152 GMT (0952 HKT) November 16, 2020

See Apple's new Macbooks with the M1 chip

New York (CNN Business)
    Rebekah Mercer, a prominent conservative donor, revealed Saturday that she is helping to bankroll Parler, the rapidly growing but controversial conservative social media platform that was at the top of App Store charts last week.

Mercer is the daughter of Robert Mercer, a hedge fund manager and the co-founder of the now-defunct political data-analysis firm Cambridge Analytica. The Mercers have been prominent supporters of President Donald Trump and conservative causes.
    "John and I started Parler to provide a neutral platform for free speech, as our founders intended, and also to create a social media environment that would protect data privacy," Mercer said in a statement on the platform. "The ever increasing tyranny and hubris of our tech overlords demands that someone lead the fight against data mining, and for the protection of free speech online. That someone is Parler, a beacon to all who value their liberty, free speech, and personal privacy."

What is Parler?

The social media website Parler

Parler, founded in 2018 by Mercer, John Matze and Jared Thomson, bills itself as "unbiased social media" and a place where people can "speak freely and express yourself openly without fear of being 'deplatformed' for your views," according to its website and App Store description. It looks like a mashup of Twitter and Instagram, with its main feed, follower counts and ways to share posts and links.

The platform became the most-downloaded free app in the Apple App Store on the weekend of November 8 -- the day major media outlets called the election for Joe Biden.
    Parler mostly attracts conservative users. Some of Parler's most-active users include Fox News host Sean Hannity, radio personality Mark Levin, far-right activist Laura Loomer, Senator Ted Cruz and Congressman Devin Nunes. Eric Trump and Donald Trump's presidential campaign also have accounts on the platform.
    A substantial number of users have followed these voices onto the platform, fueled by complaints over actions major social media platforms have taken against election misinformation and false allegations of voter fraud, such as disputing claims with fact-check labels.
    Twitter (TWTR), more than Facebook (FB), took aggressive action on many of President Trump's tweets during the election. At one point, the social network applied warning labels to more than a third of Trump's tweets after polls closed. Some of Trump's tweets were hidden behind a warning label which users had to click through before being able to read what they said.
    With big tech companies flagging false information, Parler has become a free-for-all for conservative voices.According to an ADL report released on Thursday, members of the Proud Boys, adherents of conspiracy theory QAnon, anti-government extremists and white supremacists all openly promote their views on Parler. "Holocaust denial, antisemitism, racism and other forms of bigotry are also easy to find," the ADL said.
    Who is Rebekah Mercer?

Rebekah Mercer in 2017

For years, the Mercers have been key benefactors of conservative groups, ranging from the Heritage Foundation think tank, where Rebekah Mercer serves on the board of trustees, to organizations that have produced anti-Hillary-Clinton books and movies.

But the family emerged in national politics in the 2016 election cycle when Robert Mercer, who helped oversee Renaissance Technologies hedge fund, and his wife Diane, donated more than $23 million to groups that backed conservative candidates, according to a tally by the non-partisan Center for Responsive Politics.
    In that election, the Mercers financed a super PAC that initially backed Texas Senator Ted Cruz's bid for the Republican presidential nomination before throwing its support behind Trump.
    The media-shy Rebekah Mercer is widely reported to have persuaded then-candidate Trump to reshuffle his campaign organization and hire Steve Bannon and Kellyanne Conway to help run his presidential bid in the final stretch of the 2016 election. Rebekah Mercer went on to serve on the executive committee of Trump's transition team,

Rebekah Mercer did not respond to a request for comment. Robert Mercer stepped aside from Renaissance in 2017.

-- CNN's Fredreka Schouten and Kaya Yurieff contributed to this report

***** celeb

Rebekah Mercer is as ugly on the outside as she is on the inside. Pure ghoul through and through.

Whoa, I was NOT prepared for that head
    HWBL and ConstanceSpry like this.

Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

That's exactly who I was thinking of. Great movie, by the way!

Time's running out Donald.

Mercer is the daughter of Robert Mercer, a hedge fund manager and the co-founder of the now-defunct political data-analysis firm Cambridge Analytica.
    Mercer said in a statement on the platform. "The ever increasing tyranny and hubris of our tech overlords demands that someone lead the fight against data mining, and for the protection of free speech online. That someone is Parler, a beacon to all who value their liberty, free speech, and personal privacy."

I am guessing that her patrons are too stupid to understand the irony of this whole thing?
    ConstanceSpry and Kittylady like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Rox View Post
    Time's running out Donald.
    Donald J. Trump
    @realDonaldTrump

6h
    I won the Election!
    Official sources called this election differently

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    People have been calling it MeinSpace.
    I've since also seen FashBook and HickTok.
    OrangeSlice, HWBL, Novice and 3 others like this.
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

"Trump is, in my opinion, the first woman president of the United States." -- Roseanne Barr

***** celeb

Trump lashes out in new bid to tarnish an election he lost

Analysis by Stephen Collinson, CNN

Updated 0921 GMT (1721 HKT) November 18, 202

(CNN)President Donald Trump flexed the power of his office Tuesday to tarnish America's free and fair election, sacking the official who declared the vote the most secure in US history, even as more of his false claims of massive fraud were exposed as baseless in court.
    The revenge firing, the President's latest assault against the infrastructure of US democracy, comes as he refuses to accept his defeat and to begin the process of transitioning power to President-elect Joe Biden -- an impasse that is especially dangerous amid a worsening pandemic.
    Trump wrote that he terminated Chris Krebs, a senior Department of Homeland Security official, for contradicting his own baseless allegations of irregularities. The President, his campaign and political allies have made multiple efforts, which started well before the election, to falsely argue that he was cheated out of a second term. His effort appears motivated by a desire to explain away his clear defeat by the former vice president but is also part of a pattern of behavior designed to discredit Biden's presidency and to enshrine national divides that he consciously widened as a tool of power.

In other apparent attempts to cast doubt on the integrity of the election -- unprecedented in modern history -- Trump ally Sen. Lindsey Graham was embroiled in a controversy after calling election officials in Nevada, Arizona and Georgia -- three key states won by Biden -- to question them on procedures for mail-in ballots, which generally favored Biden. And two Republicans broke with tradition in Michigan, another state where the Democratic nominee triumphed, in temporarily blocking the certification of the election in Wayne County, where Biden beat the President. Michigan's Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson, a Democrat, later told CNN's Chris Cuomo that the officials relented and agreed to certify the vote.
    The latest maneuvers by Trump and his allies came as more of the President's long-shot legal challenges and threadbare cases alleging election fraud were exposed in the courts.
    The President's latest Hail Mary attempt to overturn the election result in one of the multiple states won by Biden came unstuck, this time in the Pennsylvania Supreme Court.
    The Keystone State's top bench ruled that there was nothing in state law requiring ballot observers to stand within six feet of vote counts as the Trump campaign had argued. The decision undercuts the President's claim his supporters were unfairly discriminated against and that therefore the results in Pennsylvania, where Biden won by tens of thousands of votes, should be ruled invalid.
    In a separate Pennsylvania case, Trump's lawyer Rudolph Giuliani stepped in to lead a chaotic legal effort trying to prove that Democrats committed election fraud over absentee ballots. Other judges have previously rejected such claims.
    Another of Trump's all but non-existent openings to change the election result championed by conservative media also appeared to be closing.
    An election audit in Georgia was expected to finish by Wednesday ahead of the official certification of the ballot on Friday. Officials said the results were largely tracking original tallies that handed victory to Biden, further tarnishing Trump's claims of widespread fraud.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/11/18/p...ion/index.html

Thread Information