Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The pretense of knowledge

^^I agree buttmunch. I would rather fund sending someone to school (college/trade) so they can earn their own living than give them money to do nothing.

Happy trails to you...until we meet again.
    I love & miss you Dad.

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    Personally I think higher education should be free. If you can get the grades then you should be able to go. Otherwise it becomes a matter of economics and class.
    Well our tax dollars already provide a free education up to a certain level. We can't afford to pay for everyone to go to college/tech school, etc. There is aid available to those who need it and loans. Plus whatever happened to the good old fashioned "worked my way through school" program?
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    Well our tax dollars already provide a free education up to a certain level. We can't afford to pay for everyone to go to college/tech school, etc. There is aid available to those who need it and loans. Plus whatever happened to the good old fashioned "worked my way through school" program?

I'm with you. I worked nearly full time through college, had loans and a partial academic scholarship. I worked hard to maintain the balance of doing well in school and providing for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    Yes ma'am. I made it through college & had neither money nor class.

Seriously, though. College is not just for the rich anymore. Anybody can go, with some effort.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

If anybody can go to school but doesn't want to, i'll gladly take their place.

Banks won't give me a loan, and OSAP was hell last time i tried.. ended up getting 6 grand out of them after declaring my parents dead, but worked in a mall from 5 till midnight every day just to eat ramen noodles and afford a ROOM in a house somewhere. I was burnt the fuck out after a year.

How anybody works full time for shit pay, manages to keep from being homeless and goes to school and managed to find the time to get the homework done.. i dunno how they do it
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Well, I don't mean to be insensitive Grimm. I probably shouldn't have just said it like that and I have no clue how things are where you are. I'm sure that one's location makes a huge difference, as far at the price of tuition, living, etc.

If Grim were in the US, I think he'd know what you mean. Here, it seems to me, that where there's a will, there's a way. Pell grants, loans - it's there for people who are willing to use it. Some just are NOT willing.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

[quote=NicoleWasHere;1978983]I did well in high school, up until I had to go to that stupid christian school. I always had at least a 3.5 GPA, in public school. I can't go to college, because I don't have the credentials, but why would I want to? It's over rated. All people do there is get drunk, get pregnant and get weird diseases. It's not like a college education can get you anywhere today, anyway.

Gee my daughter made it all the way through Cornell without getting drunk once. Granted that is very unusual but she is a nerd. Your response to not going to college sounds more like sour grapes than a real reason. Wish I could have gone to college. I made sure my kids could and did.
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

I've been thinking about the "broke down & asked fast food joints if they were hiring" thing, and have a suggestion in the hopes that Nicole might see it. It makes a much better impression if a job seeker puts on a cheerful, alert expression and asks to fill out an application, versus just asking "are you hiring?" It's so easy to say no to someone who just wants an answer to a question, as opposed to someone who would like to do something (fill out app).

When random people call me and ask if I have a job available, I almost always say no. Unless I'm desperate. But I never turn down someone who wants to fill out an application or give me a resume. They take up a bit more of my time and therefore are more likely to come to my mind if I need someone. And the person who asks the question and goes away? I've got no record of them for when something does come open.

Like everyone said here in the US they offer students work study programs, plus pell grant, cal grants, private grants, etc. I worked at Mcdonalds, hated it but hey it paid for gas, food, and a few house bills.

They don't do much of that up here.. you either get a gov loan (hard enough) or you go to the banks. That's about it.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia View Post
    I've been thinking about the "broke down & asked fast food joints if they were hiring" thing, and have a suggestion in the hopes that Nicole might see it. It makes a much better impression if a job seeker puts on a cheerful, alert expression and asks to fill out an application, versus just asking "are you hiring?" It's so easy to say no to someone who just wants an answer to a question, as opposed to someone who would like to do something (fill out app).

When random people call me and ask if I have a job available, I almost always say no. Unless I'm desperate. But I never turn down someone who wants to fill out an application or give me a resume. They take up a bit more of my time and therefore are more likely to come to my mind if I need someone. And the person who asks the question and goes away? I've got no record of them for when something does come open.
    Good points. I find it hard to believe a fast food joint would turn away a person who wants to fill out an application, even if they have no current openings. I'm sure with their turnover rates, they keep applications on file for a certain period.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia View Post

You know this reminds me of MrN's SIL.... she needed a job, but managed not to get one, and always refused help when someone suggested that she get me to look her applications over (since I've done a lot of recruitment...). Then when MrN "employed" her, she was really really pissed off to find out that she needed to actually work for her money. Bummer. Welcome to the real world bitch (my SIL, that is)
    "I don't know what I am to them, maybe a penguin XD" - Tiny Pixie

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    They don't do much of that up here.. you either get a gov loan (hard enough) or you go to the banks. That's about it.
    Except here it cost $40,000 to $50,000 for a private school. That's per year. You need loans for sure.
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

Quote Originally Posted by nana55 View Post
    Except here it cost $40,000 to $50,000 for a private school. That's per year. You need loans for sure.
    Indeed, it's crazy - here in Ontario I pay about 6 grand a year for a full-time university course load.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread Information