Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast

Thread: The pretense of knowledge

True, but they like to claim it's as good as any other school's degree according to hiring personnel. The reality is that I'd be interviewing someone on the phone, ask highest education, they'd say masters, I'd say "oh that's great, from what school?", they'd give me their answer and I'd have to give it everything I had to stifle my laugh. Then I'd get off the phone and share the story because that's just what we all did when we encountered it.

The University of Phoenix comment made me giggle a little as well. It's hard to take their claim of having a Masters seriously when it's in the same breath as University of Phoenix. It's kind of a joke in these parts too.

Happy trails to you...until we meet again.
    I love & miss you Dad.

Hit By Ban Bus!

My suggestion of U of Phoenix was to Grimmlox who said that he had not been able to find financing to complete his degree. Online courses will usually go out of their way to help you find funding. My degrees are not from U of P. But I wouldn't turn my nose up at a degree from there if I couldn't afford to go to school. One of my sisters has her degree from there and it hasn't hurt her any in moving up the corporate ladder.

1) I don't live in Arizona

2) I don't live in the US

3) I don't want a shit degree
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

University of Phoenix isn't an actual university. It's a shit online "school" that will issue a masters degree that no one considers an actual degree. It's Phoenix like the bird

They consider your Canadian money as good as the US money though. They have "campuses" in BC and Alberta according to the website. I find it interesting that their campus addresses are things like "1 corporate way, suite 210". Big campus there....

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by *DIVA! View Post
    And my Doctorate in assholery is on its way from University of Phoenix!

omg this thread brought out both Mrs.V and Shedevil; i'm cr***ming in my panties right now i love u bitches!

i never see you no more

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    1) I don't live in Arizona

2) I don't live in the US

3) I don't want a shit degree

No Day But Today is correct. And as you can tell from this thread it is a shit degree. But sometimes when all else fails it can get you on the path for funding.

When I went for my Masters it was at a prestigious school and they gave me half scholarships for the $40,000 a semester tuition and also wrangled out the student loans for me. Here in the US student loans are based on need sometimes not necessarily your credit score. (Don't know if that's the problem for you)

But I started out at a community college that got the same reaction from a lot of people as the comments on this thread. Several of my classmates started out getting an Associates Degree in a crap school then transferring to a more prestigious school when they had the AA.

One of my friends went to NYU from there and finished at Pepperdine, another went to St. Josephs. So it can be a real stepping stone. That's all I was suggesting. I remember being broke and not being able to afford to go to school so my heart goes out to you is all.

But I wouldn't suggest getting your whole education from there because you will likely get the same reaction. I too had a Dr. Friend who was an educator. I had admiration till I saw Capella University on her wall for the PhD. To me it was a joke.

There is another school that is not so obviously an online school. That one is University of Maryland. I'm pretty sure you can find some schools online in Canada. A few are showing up at the top of this page.

I just wouldn't want you not to try some alternative paths when you seem quite smart and money shouldn't be an obstacle.

Good luck to you. I hope all joking aside you will consider what I suggested.

hey Alice you want me to get you a walmart degree lmao
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

Quote Originally Posted by collateral damage View Post
    My suggestion of U of Phoenix was to Grimmlox who said that he had not been able to find financing to complete his degree. Online courses will usually go out of their way to help you find funding. My degrees are not from U of P. But I wouldn't turn my nose up at a degree from there if I couldn't afford to go to school. One of my sisters has her degree from there and it hasn't hurt her any in moving up the corporate ladder.
    Isn't University of Phoenix more expensive than most schools anyways? My cousin switched this year from FIU in Miami and he's having a harder time paying for it than his regular credits at FIU.

When I was at Virginia Tech, my 18 credits cost about $2500 at most per semester...add another $600 for books.

LOL @ Grimmlox, I'll take my bagel with some lox and a side of cuntiness!
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

It is, I looked it up last night out of curiosity. It's about 3 times the cost per credit hour than a legit school here. For a masters degree they are charging over $600 PER CREDIT HOUR, the brick and mortar, acclaimed school is charging around $220 per credit hour-with online class options.

So they're swindling you out of 3 times as much money for a worthless degree. The stupidity of some people is astonishing, although I suppose that's why they're going to University of Phoenix instead of trying to get into a real school.

But I started out at a community college that got the same reaction from a lot of people as the comments on this thread. Several of my classmates started out getting an Associates Degree in a crap school then transferring to a more prestigious school when they had the AA.
    Why would you get the same reaction about a community college? I never had any negative remarks about my two years at a CC. I transferred to a University, saving my parents a shitload of money. Anyone who gave you a hard time about going to a CC is a moron. It's a completely different thing than an online degree, which deserves the ridicule, imo.

I agree bellini. Again, I'm pulling from my experience as a recruiter here (and I should probably add that I was recruiting for some MAJOR companies), but seeing a CC as a first step on education wasn't anything to bat an eye at as long as they did receive a bachelor's degree from a legit university at some point. It makes way more sense to do that anyway, and I wish I had. It would have saved me so much money.

Zee

Your diploma is a piece of paper that opens doors. It will either get you to a job interview, continued education, or flat out a great party. After a few years of working, it's never brought up again.

But now I'm thinking of a career change. Wait, so I can go to a fully accredited clown college and be on my way to a new life? Off to check if Phoenix has online clown course.

Shhheeeet.
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    hey Alice you want me to get you a walmart degree lmao

Those Walmarts degrees are the best evah!! When you get enough credits they have a graduation party for you in the garden department and you get the video on peopleofwalmart.com.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

^^And the bakery will make a special cake for you:
    What I really want to know is whether it makes your poop glow in the dark after eating it! ~ Kittylady

Thread Information