Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: President Obama's emotional NAACP speech

Quote Originally Posted by Cali View Post
    I think the basic concept is great and I agree with it- strangers getting onto kids for being rude and telling their parents, and parents actually caring and disciplining their own kids.

But I don't agree with hitting or spanking a kid that isn't yours. If he wouldn't have included that part, I'd have been right there with him.
    But, that's just it. Your neighbors aren't strangers.. And back then, most of your neighbors were your family.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Quote Originally Posted by Cali View Post
    Yeah and he gets sort of a southern twang in his voice. I was listening to it on CSPAN yesterday and I was like 'well who knew that Barack secretly lived in the South at some point?'

There was one part of the speech that bugged me though:
    No no no- I don't want strangers whipping any kids that aren't their own. I don't think any parents should be whipping their kids anyway, but thats my personal opinion. And when he said it- he clearly said 'whip' not 'whup.'

It was just jarring and unnecessary IMO.
    Obama touched on this same thing in his book 'Dreams From My Father.' It goes back to the African proverb, that Hillary somehow gets credit for, 'it takes a village to raise a child.' A time when people kept an eye out on other people's kids. If one of the neighbors saw you doing something wrong they'd beat that ass, and then they'd call your parents so they'd beat that ass again. It was a way of trying to keep kids on the straight and narrow.

If some of that same mentality still existed today, you'd probably see less crime, drugs and gangs in the inner cities. Obama was touching on a cultural thing which is why he got such a response from the black audience.

Elite Member

It goes back to the African proverb, that Hillary somehow gets credit for, 'it takes a village to raise a child.'
    In fairness to Hillary, she noted that the phase was an African proverb. She gets credit for it because she wrote a book using that phrase for the title.

Quote Originally Posted by visitor42 View Post
    In fairness to Hillary, she noted that the phase was an African proverb. She gets credit for it because she wrote a book using that phrase for the title.
    I'm not blaming or knocking Hillary. But just because she wrote a book with the proverb as a title doesn't mean it should be attributed to her as if she came up with it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information