Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree106Likes

Thread: President Obama Orders Release of Report Justifying Air Strike in Syria

^ i quote that bit frequently.

and we're sort of fine with that
    Rusalka likes this.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Kerry: "Arab Countries" Have Offered To "Bear Costs And Assist" Attack On Syria

Answering a question about regional support for American intervention in Syria from Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R-Fla.), Secretary of State John Kerry said that “Arab countries" have offered to pay for an American invasion of Syria, "the way we have done it previously in other places."
    SECRETARY KERRY: With respect to Arab countries offering to bear costs and assist, the answer is profoundly yes, they have. That offer is on the table. With respect to boots on the ground, profoundly no. There will be no boots on the ground. The president has said that again and again. And there is nothing in this authorization that should contemplate it. And we reiterate, no boots on the ground.

REP. ROS-LEHTINEN: Thank you, Mr. Secretary. And, the details of the offer and the proposal on the table, what are the figures we are talking about?

KERRY: Well, we don’t know what action we are engaged in right now, but they have been quite significant. I mean, very significant. In fact, some of them have said that if the U.S. is prepared to go do the whole thing, the way we’ve done it previously in other places, they’ll carry that cost. That’s how dedicated they are to this. Obviously, that is not in the cards and nobody is talking about it, but they are talking about taking seriously getting this job done.

Kerry: "Arab Countries" Have Offered To "Bear Costs And Assist" Attack On Syria | RealClearPolitics

yeah, that sounds like a deal. we send our boys to be the sunni spear in a sectarian war against the shiites and in return saudi and qatari oilbags cut us a check for $100 billion or whatever. wonder how much they’d be willing to pay for a direct attack on iran? or we could give iran the chance to match the offer. if they can come up with a few hundred billion, we’ll drone the syrian salafi nuts of their choice.

^^^ Speaking of this, I wonder if Sputnik remembers anything about initial hostilities between Iraq and Kuwait starting over the fact that Kuwait said it would help fund Iraq's war against Iran, but then stiffed them when it came time to pay up.

^^
    yeah, but it was really about iraq accusing kuwait of stealing their oil through slant drilling.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I don't think we should do anything militarily. We didn't do anything militarily about the genocide against the Armenians, the genocide against the jews, Pol Pot's genocide against anyone who could read, the genocide against the Tutsi's, the genocide against the Kulaks/Holodomor. I think we should maintain some consistency when civilian populations are being wiped out.
    it's not about that though. i mean, i get wanting to stop the massacre. no one is ok with 100'000+ dead syrians. it's about the fact that american military intervention will only make the regional situation worse. today, it's syria. and egypt. before it was lybia and iraq. there will be others.
    now, if it was a coalition made up of neighbouring countries' armies i could maybe see an intervention making sense but americans coming in and bombing the shit out of a middle eastern country and imposing more regime change (they can say they're 'liberating' syrians and 'bringing democracy' but those sanitised euphemisms won't change the truth)? how's that working out for you?
    effie2 likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

There was a book I read where one of the characters said, "You can't save the world." Unfortunately, we are all eternally consigned to sit on our hands and watch thousands upon thousands upon millions of innocent people die horribly while we basically do nothing. It's been going on since the dawn of time. And thus will it ever be.

Look at North Korea. Because of institutionalized insanity, gross governmental incompetence, a totalitarian regime, and realpolitik, they have managed to starve millions of their own people to death, and to kill tens of thousands of men, women, and children in their version of gulags. Not only is nobody doing a damned thing about it, most people are only dimly aware that it's happening.
    Kathie_Moffett likes this.

korea? we already fought that war. look how well it worked.
    twitchy2.0 likes this.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

korea? we already fought that war. look how well it worked.
    It worked great for South Korea.

lol, well when the war finally ends we'll see about that.

lol, well when the war finally ends we'll see about that.
    You think North Korea will make a desperate tank roll over into Seoul when it finally implodes? Could happen.

it's possible.

if a man is crazy enough to get this haircut, it's hard to say what else he might be capable of.
    Sarzy, CornFlakegrl, Honey and 1 others like this.

^

Aren't you only allowed to get certain haircuts in North Korea? That one should have been on the ban list.

I don't think it's a haircut. I think it's a misplaced fabulous mustache:

I support your claim and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

I have a question for the group. What if it we really could just do an air strike? Something brief aimed at disabling as much of his military as we can. Something that says to him, and other so inclined, that the use of chemical warfare will get you hammered from the sky as hard as we can. No boots on the ground, no funding of rebels, just a demolition of whatever we can hit. That is, allegedly, the point of this attack. Deterring the use of chemical weapons, I mean. Thoughts?

Well, for one they will claim that we blew up babyfood factories, women and children and missed all military targets. That is pretty much par for the course.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

plus, the only way such an airstrike would work is if it was a surprise, but you can't do that without violating all kinds of international and domestic laws. by basically announcing to the world they were gonna do it a month before they do, obama gave them ample time to move all their military stuff to highly populated civilian areas so that they won't get bombed and if they do, to ensure there's plenty of 'collateral damage' and dead kids to show the media so they can make themselves look like victims.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information