Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: President-Elect Barack Obama's approval ratings

Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    I think my reasons for not voting for Obama are just as legitimate as your reasons for voting for him.

I disagree with his ideas and values. It's as simple as that. You don't.

Conservatives have just as much right to vote based on their beliefs and values as liberals.

I'm sorry that you disagree with me, but I don't think that makes my desire to vote based on what I believe any less valid.
    That would sound more credible if you didn't CONSTANTLY keep bringing the issue of his race up.

I wasn't the one to bring the issue of his race up. I simply defended myself when someone accused me of NOT voting for him because of it.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    That would sound more credible if you didn't CONSTANTLY keep bringing the issue of his race up.
    Oh come on. It's almost like you have to say that because anyone who disagrees with McCain cannot understand why any reasonable person would vote for him so it must be race. It seems to be quite the trendy conclusion. Also, snide remarks about hoop skirts & the old south have already been made towards her in political discussions so yeah it is something she needs to say because people on here have already made the assumption about race.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Elite Member

If you want to talk racist, how about the African-Americans who voted for this guy SOLELY because he's black? (I'm not saying ALL blacks who voted for him fit into this category- but some do.) IMO, those are the real racists.
    What about all the non-African Americans who did NOT vote for Obama simply because of his funny name and skin color? That argument cuts both ways.

Voting for ANYONE based on gender or race is simple-minded and one-dimensional. EVERYONE is supposed to vote for a candidate based on issues and beliefs.

The bottom line is there are a lot of clueless voters and they come in all shapes, sizes, and colors. If we as informed citizens can come together to combat such mindsets--regardless of different opinions--then maybe we can make progress.

Well actually, someone stated that Obama's approval ratings would be low among people who were racist toward O, which I agree with (why would they ever have a high rating for him at any point in time if they don't even like him because of his skin color?) And then Southernbelle said she's tired of people claiming the only people who voted for Mccain are racists "pulling out the race card," which isn't the way I interpreted the previous poster's statement. Nobody is saying the only people who voted for Mccain are racists. They just suggested that some people are racist.
    To ignore the fact that any racism exists is silly, IMO, even if it was only a small part, on either side.
    But anyway, the election is over and the winner was O.

I wasn't the one to bring the issue of his race up. I simply defended myself when someone accused me of NOT voting for him because of it.
    Defending yourself from what? Sluce made a general comment about racists who don't like Obama. It wasn't directed at you or anybody specific, so how were you defending yourself? The comment wasn't implying that anybody who doesn't like Obama is a racist.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Kill Me View Post
    Oh come on. It's almost like you have to say that because anyone who disagrees with McCain cannot understand why any reasonable person would vote for him so it must be race. It seems to be quite the trendy conclusion. Also, snide remarks about hoop skirts & the old south have already been made towards her in political discussions so yeah it is something she needs to say because people on here have already made the assumption about race.
    You're missing the point. Now, while it's wrong for people to make jokes about her because she's from the South that's not what I was talking about. I was talking about how she constantly keeps bringing the issue of race up when it comes to Obama, but claiming that his race isn't an issue for her. And the post that Sluce made wasn't directed at her or anybody from the South, it was just a general comment, so she wasn't being attacked so there was no point for her to have to go into some rant about black people voting for Obama just because he was black.

First of all, it wasn't a "rant". It was one paragraph, simply acknowledging that just like there are people who voted against him solely because of his race, there are also people who voted FOR him solely because of his race.

What bothers me is the suggestion that these people are "racists who refuse to acknowledge that is why they don't like him." How do you know that?

When I read that comment, I felt it was insinuating that people who didn't vote for him are racists who just refuse to acknowledge it, and their reasons are just excuses.

First of all, it wasn't a "rant". It was one paragraph, simply acknowledging that just like there are people who voted against him solely because of his race, there are also people who voted FOR him solely because of his race.

What bothers me is the suggestion that these people are "racists who refuse to acknowledge that is why they don't like him." How do you know that?

When I read that comment, I felt it was insinuating that people who didn't vote for him are racists who just refuse to acknowledge it, and their reasons are just excuses.
    Well, it was a paragraph that you've written more than once, so I consider it a rant. But that's not the issue.

And I agree with you that it's wrong for people to automatically label anybody who didn't vote for Obama as a racist. But the fact of the matter is that there are racists who didn't vote for him. And while there were some black people who voted for Obama just because of his race, there were also some white people, who didn't even like McCain, but voted for him because he was white. Now, anybody, black or white, who uses race as their primary reason to vote for a candidate is wrong. Period.

1) he hasn't done anything yet

2) he has a HUGE mess to clean up, and his numbers will be lower because it's going to take a long time to dig out from under it

3) if he managed to right the country, it will be a fucking miracle and he'll be the smartest guy int he damned country. Untangling Bush's clucterfuck will take herculean powers and i don't know if anybody can DO that in a decade given how badly Bush and cronies assfucked America.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Actually, I'm concerned that 40% of Americans say they "strongly approve" of the way he's handling his job when he hasn't done ANYTHING yet and is not even in office. Comparing that to Bush's 13%, after 8 years in office, is asinine.

Let him get into office and start dealing with tough situations like war, debt, economic problems, and security, and then see how people feel about the way he's handling his job.

Personally, I think his approval ratings are going to be a lot lower than people expect.

Probably just based on the fact that he hasn't started a war yet. I do think it's funny you mention all the problems that Bush created because it makes Obama's job very simple.

Dear President Obama:

Don't fuck shit up.

Thanks,

America

those are the real racists.
    More real than white supremacist groups? In what way?

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    1) he hasn't done anything yet

2) he has a HUGE mess to clean up, and his numbers will be lower because it's going to take a long time to dig out from under it

3) if he managed to right the country, it will be a fucking miracle and he'll be the smartest guy int he damned country. Untangling Bush's clucterfuck will take herculean powers and i don't know if anybody can DO that in a decade given how badly Bush and cronies assfucked America.
    ^Yeah that. Any results won't be seen for a long time.
    "If you are not outraged, then you are not paying attention," Heather Heyer's facebook quote.

I had the misfortune to hear a comment yesterday when Barack made his speech. When Barack said something to the order of it won't happen in a year or two......the comment was made on the order of Barack covering his ass and not being able to follow through with "campaign promises". As if anyone could clean up the mess Bush has left this country in a few months. BTW I think the one that made the comment is racist.

NBC news reported tonight that Obama would have won the Presidency of the United States of America even if he had not received ONE SINGLE BLACK VOTE. He still would have won. That says a lot.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

So Obama has no values but McCain does? So having an affair while married to your disabled wife indicates values? Yah that's really a moral person.

^ It's ok if you are a republican, don't forget they are the only ones with morals.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information