Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pres. Obama continuing Bush admin legacy of immunity for warrantless wiretapping

At this point, I'm more concerned about the bonuses that corporations are giving out with taxpayer money. Although this issue with the wiretaps isn't making me happy either.

It's the wholesale cordoning off of ANY prosecution for the insane crimes Bush is guilty of, and the continuation and WORSENING of those injustices!

It's not just wiretapping, that's a symptom of the larger rot that failbama appears to be adding to.

It's unconscionable.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Obama never promised us a rose garden. In fact, he never promised us anything he could be held to. It was all about Hope and Change We Can Believe In Through "Bipartisanship", which any fool knows is DC codespeak for "Democrats doing whatever the Repukes demand of them". We got what we paid for.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    It's the wholesale cordoning off of ANY prosecution for the insane crimes Bush is guilty of, and the continuation and WORSENING of those injustices!

It's not just wiretapping, that's a symptom of the larger rot that failbama appears to be adding to.

It's unconscionable.
    did you really think anything different was going to happen?
    yay for "change"
    somebody sent me this link today. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMnSp4qEXNM&NR=1
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Same we can believe in

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Actually, the opposite of what I had expected is happening. I expected him to do away with the massive evil no-brainers that everybody hated, and then skimp on the rest.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Actually, the opposite of what I had expected is happening. I expected him to do away with the massive evil no-brainers that everybody hated, and then skimp on the rest.
    ah hell, don't beat yourself up too badly. Alot of people believed it. It's politics, they'll tell us anything to get in there.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

I'm not beating myself up.. most other preznits have done exactly what i said i thought would happen. Do away with the shit everybody hated before, and then claim powerlesness over the small crap that doesn't matter.

It's unconscionable.
    That's like saying that Obama hasn't done anything different from Dubya, when that's not the case. I don't agree with everything he's done policy-wise so far, but I didn't expect to either.

As for prosecuting the Bush crimes I'm not holding my breath for that, because it's not happening anytime soon, as much as I would like to see it happen. New presidents don't make it a habit of going after the previous president. But I think the pressure in the U.S., and abroad, is going to force Obama's hand at some point and he's going to have to do something about the Bush crimes.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    That's like saying that Obama hasn't done anything different from Dubya, when that's not the case.
    No it isn't, the topic is Pres. Obama continuing Bush admin legacy of immunity for warrantless wiretapping.

I don't agree with everything he's done policy-wise so far, but I didn't expect to either.
    Me either, but this is MAJOR. Closing Guantanamo is basically just showy nonsense if the underlying bullshit that created it is allowed to continue.

As for prosecuting the Bush crimes I'm not holding my breath for that, because it's not happening anytime soon, as much as I would like to see it happen. New presidents don't make it a habit of going after the previous president. But I think the pressure in the U.S., and abroad, is going to force Obama's hand at some point and he's going to have to do something about the Bush crimes.
    or in this case, do his best to make that an impossibility

No it isn't, the topic is Pres. Obama continuing Bush admin legacy of immunity for warrantless wiretapping.
    You said the wiretapping was a symptom of a larger rot that Obama seemed to be adding to, which is why I pointed out that it was implying that he hadn't done anything different from Dubya.

Me either, but this is MAJOR. Closing Guantanamo is basically just showy nonsense if the underlying bullshit that created it is allowed to continue.
    I agree. Closing Gitmo means nothing, if you don't deal with the other underlying issues.

or in this case, do his best to make that an impossibility
    That goes back to my point about not going after a previous president. But if Obama is going to continue to block it, then he needs to tell people why he's doing it.

You said the wiretapping was a symptom of a larger rot that Obama seemed to be adding to, which is why I pointed out that it was implying that he hadn't done anything different from Dubya.
    The larger rot of Bush era executive powegrabs and rights abuses.

I agree. Closing Gitmo means nothing, if you don't deal with the other underlying issues.
    Which is precisely what is NOT happening. If anything, he's expanding that shit.

That goes back to my point about not going after a previous president. But if Obama is going to continue to block it, then he needs to tell people why he's doing it.
    didn't you hear? because it's time to look forward! Forward is the only way to look. Can't learn anything by looking at past horrific crimes which will never be brought to justice, oh no.. change! hope! platitudes!

The larger rot of Bush era executive powegrabs and rights abuses.

Which is precisely what is NOT happening. If anything, he's expanding that shit.
    I don't think it's reached the Bush levels yet, on either point. Hopefully, it won't.

didn't you hear? because it's time to look forward! Forward is the only way to look. Can't learn anything by looking at past horrific crimes which will never be brought to justice, oh no.. change! hope! platitudes!
    Yes, we can forget the 'evil past' and move forward. Yes, we can block Bush investigations. Yes, we can okay bonuses paid for by the taxpayers.

I don't think it's reached the Bush levels yet, on either point. Hopefully, it won't.
    *BLINK*

it's EXCEEDING Bush levels. That's what the problem is!

Yes, we can forget the 'evil past' and move forward. Yes, we can block Bush investigations. Yes, we can okay bonuses paid for by the taxpayers.
    bingo!

Didn't Bill Clinton really start it in 1996, though, with his roving/multi-point wiretaps? Under his administration, the idea was promulgated that even though the suspect was using a different phone at a different residence, as long as they were still following the original suspect, they didn't need a warrant to wiretap the new residence. And that right to wiretap could stay in place for a while after the suspect left. So, by now it's kind of a tradition. Also, in 1996, an emergency/"terorrism" situation (loosely defined) did not require a warrant for the wiretap.

Also, during the Clinton Administration (circa 1994), CALEA was passed, which allowed the FBI to compel telecom carriers to restructure their networks to allows a huge amount of simultaneous wiretaps, as well as keep more extensive/intrusive call logs.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information