Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Prediction time: Who will be John McCain's VP?

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Good politician hair can go a long way.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    No, it's accepting reality. The GOP today is filled with them. It's not even up for debate really. It's a fact. Stereotypes don't appear out of thin air.

Then she ain't a liberal. She's a retard.
    If its a fact, then show me your facts. Give me concrete evidence that all rich old men are racists (and republican). Not some regurgitated stereotype. Facts, as you said yesterday, are what democrats are all about.

SHOW ME THE FACTS!!!!

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have. ~Thomas Jefferson

I didn't say all, did I? it's a commonly accepted fact that GOP = xenophobic old white men.

Not all of them are like that, but a good chunk which leads to the accepted reality that if a xenophobic card gets played, 95% of the time it's the GOP that ramps up the "brown" fear.

It's like saying the sky is blue, or that water is wet.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Hit By Ban Bus!

McCain Has Made His Pick and Is Set to Tell on Friday
    By ELISABETH BUMILLER and MICHAEL COOPER

WASHINGTON — Senator John McCain has decided on his running mate, two Republican strategists in contact with Mr. McCain’s campaign said Wednesday. He is expected to reveal his choice at a rally at a basketball arena in Dayton, Ohio, at 11 a.m. Friday.

Mr. McCain’s decision is known only to his small inner circle of advisers, no more than three or four people, who have refused all public discussion on the matter. Republicans close to the campaign said that the top contenders remained the same three men who have been the source of speculation for weeks: former Gov. Mitt Romney of Massachusetts, Gov. Tim Pawlenty of Minnesota and, possibly, Senator Joseph I. Lieberman, independent of Connecticut.

It was unclear how seriously Mr. McCain was considering his good friend, Mr. Lieberman, who favors abortion rights and whose selection could set off a revolt among delegates at the Republican National Convention next week in Minneapolis-St. Paul as well as a furious backlash among Christian conservatives, a crucial voting bloc of the Republican Party. But as recently as Tuesday, Mr. McCain was said to still be entertaining the idea of Mr. Lieberman, who was Al Gore’s running mate on the Democratic presidential ticket in 2000.

Under this option, Mr. McCain’s choice of Mr. Lieberman would help him appeal to women, independents and conservative Democrats in a tough year for Republican candidates. “It’s really alive in McCain’s mind,” said one Republican consultant familiar with some of the campaign’s deliberations.

Other Republicans said they suspected that whatever Mr. McCain’s personal views, his aides could be pushing Mr. Lieberman with reporters as part of a disinformation campaign to stir interest in the selection and to make it appear as if Mr. McCain, a longtime opponent of abortion, was open to all possibilities and was therefore more of an independent candidate.

Some Republicans also said that Mr. Lieberman did not catch fire as a campaigner in 2000 and that he would alienate more voters, particularly evangelicals, than he would attract.

Mr. McCain’s inner circle was described as divided on the choices, although one Republican close to the campaign said that there had been no raging internal debate. Whatever the aides’ opinions, Mr. McCain was said to have made the decision on his own.

Mr. Romney remained the most talked-about possibility on Wednesday among Republican Party officials and on cable television, not least because of the theory that he would help Mr. McCain win Michigan, a crucial state in this election and where Mr. Romney’s father served as governor.

But Mr. Pawlenty gained some currency as the day wore on because of what were perceived as Mr. Romney’s downsides, particularly his wealth as many Americans face financial struggles and his past as a venture capital manager. Mr. McCain came under attack from Democrats on this front after he was unable to say in an interview last week how many houses he owns.

(The McCain campaign said he had four houses, and the Obama campaign said eight, with Mr. McCain’s wife. Mr. Romney said Wednesday that his houses amounted to “one less than John Kerry,” the 2004 Democratic presidential nominee, which would add up to four.)

“Twelve houses between them, two rich guys, it’s almost like shooting fish in a bucket,” said Ed Rollins, a Republican strategist who led Mike Huckabee’s presidential campaign this year.

In a preview of Democratic attacks should Mr. Romney be on the Republican ticket, David Plouffe, Senator Barack Obama’s campaign manager, told reporters at the Democratic National Convention on Wednesday that Mr. Romney was a “job-killing machine” because of business deals he did that sent jobs overseas. A Romney spokesman, Eric Fehrnstrom, responded that Mr. Romney had run the Salt Lake City Olympics and a successful business and that Mr. Obama “has never run anything, not even a corner store.”

Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison, Republican of Texas, was also mentioned as a possibility on Wednesday, but veteran Republicans quickly discounted her because of what is described as her cool relationship with Mr. McCain.

“It’s meshugeneh,” said Kenneth M. Duberstein, who was President Ronald Reagan’s last chief of staff, using the Yiddish word for crazy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/28/us...gewanted=print

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by tkdgirl View Post
    If its a fact, then show me your facts. Give me concrete evidence that all rich old men are racists (and republican). Not some regurgitated stereotype. Facts, as you said yesterday, are what democrats are all about.

SHOW ME THE FACTS!!!!
    tdkgirl, did you ever hear the old joke about dont try to teach a pig to sing? It wastes your time and money and it annoys the pig. Grimmlock deals in hyperbole and rhetoric not facts. Dont bother. And for the record I am a Democrat. Oh and also an American. As opposed to our resident expert on the American electoral process.

LOL Scooter, you are not one to be acusing anybody of being lacking in facts. All you can do is repeat your (pretty unsupported) educational credentials to deflect any actual DEBATE (you were debate team captain, weren't you? What a poor showing) but when pressed with any kind of quote, list of fact or otherwise you fucking vanish.

Your credibility hovers right around zero.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

One word: Huckabee.

That would be a great trainwreck to watch.

Lieberman would be fucking awesome

I think he should take a wide stance & go with Sen. Joe Craig!!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

i can tap my foot to that!

Silver Member

Cool

no kate or no joe

hillary would be a fun pick - rush would have heart attack mccain/clinton vs obama/biden vs bob barr/ ?

i think it will be romney
    i know bapists who voted for romney - that blows huckabbe's crap

i see bobby jindal and rick cantor moving up for the 2012 run

romney and outsourcing wouldn't be used against him or mccain because obama and dems have the same issues that can tossed back

i like herman caine/kaine or neal boortz for VP

Hit By Ban Bus!

Rove tried to kill Lieberman VP pick
    By: Jonathan Martin
    August 27, 2008 11:25 PM EST

Republican strategist Karl Rove called Sen. Joseph I. Lieberman (I-Conn.) late last week and urged him to contact Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) to withdraw his name from vice presidential consideration, according to three sources familiar with the conversation.

Lieberman dismissed the request, these sources agreed.

Lieberman “laughed at the suggestion and certainly did not call [McCain] on it,” said one source familiar with the details.

“Rove called Lieberman,” recounted a second source. “Lieberman told him he would not make that call.”

Rove did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Rove, President Bush’s former top campaign adviser and arguably the most prominent political operative of the past generation, has no formal role in McCain’s campaign. But he knows much of the Arizona senator’s high command and has been offering informal advice, both over the phone and in his position as a Fox News analyst, since McCain wrapped up the GOP nomination.

His decision to wade into the vice presidential selection process could provide Democrats fresh ammunition to tie McCain to the polarizing Bush.

It is also chafing some Lieberman allies and others wary of the selection of former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney.

“Rove is pushing Romney so aggressively some folks are beginning to wonder what's going on,” grumbled one veteran Republican strategist.

From his perch on Fox, Rove has touted McCain’s fierce primary rival as strong vice presidential material.

“Romney is already vetted by the media, has strong executive experience both in business and in government, has an interesting story to tell with saving the U.S. Olympics, and also helps McCain deal with the economy, because he can speak to the economy with a fluency that McCain doesn’t have,” Rove said on “Fox News Sunday” in June.

The sources spoke about Rove’s involvement after Robert Novak, writing his first column since being diagnosed with brain cancer, reported Wednesday that McCain and some of his close associates would like to tap Lieberman for the number two slot but that putting an abortion-rights-supporting former Democrat on the Republican ticket was likely to be unrealistic.

The column said Lieberman had made that clear to McCain personally at the behest of a “close friend,” but a Lieberman source called that “totally and absolutely false.”

Reached by phone, Novak would say only: "I don't talk about my sources."

The maneuvering comes just days before McCain is to publicly unveil his pick Friday at a large rally in Ohio. A senior campaign official said Wednesday that McCain has settled on his ticket mate and that the person is to be notified Thursday.

Lieberman has his advocates, especially among those who believe McCain needs to make a transformative pick to help disassociate himself from Bush and the GOP, but most establishment Republicans believe tapping the Connecticut senator would blow up next week’s Republican convention in St. Paul, Minn., and create major problems for McCain and the conservative base of the party this fall.
    A source close to Lieberman said: "If it's Lieberman, none of us know about it" — meaning staff, aides and friends. The source said Lieberman is currently on vacation on Long Island, N.Y.

Rove tried to kill Lieberman VP pick - Politico.com Print View

There's infighting over LIEberman between Bush's cronies and McSame's people... hahah i hope it tears them apart

Doesn't surprise me that Rove wouldn't want Lieberman on the ticket. Rove figures that since Lieberman is Jewish that won't play well with the Republican base, especially in the South.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Doesn't surprise me that Rove wouldn't want Lieberman on the ticket. Rove figures that since Lieberman is Jewish that won't play well with the Republican base, especially in the South.
    Don't worry.. His pick is Pilente...
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information