Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Planned Parenthood tells teen to lie to get abortion

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia View Post
    I understand what you're saying, but I don't want any organization granted immunity from the law so they can do "whatever is necessary." Some abortion protesters genuinely believe that some of their tactics are "necessary." It's the old philosophical debate of "do the ends justify the means?"

This organization is like any other in the sense that it is made up by & run by people. People with no accountability run amok. Planned Parenthood should obey laws like everybody else, and if they don't like it, they should continue to lobby for legislative reform. As for the ambush in this article, well, when an organization is very large and controversial, you're going to be scrutinized. How many times have we seen on somebody with a hidden camera on tv? Happens all the time.
    I know you are right. I just let my pro-choice emotion over rule logic! It probably will backfire anyway. But you are right!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

^^ IT was Planned Parenthood and PP has acknowledge it was not handled properly. I fully support PP and am happy they are there to help people with birth control and pregnancy options counselling. I am upset by this case through. PP is about more than safe access to legal abortions. They are supposed to fully support the women they treat. If a young woman has been sexually abused by a 31 yo man then she needs services greater than abortion counselling. The decision on how to handle the pregnancy was just one issue. The sex abuse issue should not have been swept under the rug and the girl should not have been encouraged to lie about the age of the father. PP let this girl down big time.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

See, I have an issue with treating all 'rape' as the same. I do not agree with viewing forced sexual activity in the same was as statutory/consensual activity where age difference is the primary issue.
    I have heard the repugs go on and on about PP covering up 'rapes' and 'protecting rapists' by not reporting teen girls who say they are involved with older men. Now, a 13 yr old and a 31 yr old is one thing and I'll happily agree that should be reported. But they are saying the same thing about 14 yr olds with 18 yr old boyfriends who are for all intents and purposes, peers. But even in the case with the31 yr old the abortion is still the right thing so I don't feel a tragedy happened regarding that aspect of it.

I don't believe for a second that 'rape' cover ups are what anti-choice groups are really upset about. It's the abortions.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet View Post
    I don't believe for a second that 'rape' cover ups are what anti-choice groups are really upset about. It's the abortions.
    I'm sure you are correct about that. However, PP is an organization that is about more than just abortion. They know the anti choice movement will target them at every opportunity. They must be beyond reproach. Instead the anti choice movement now has this on Yotube and is getting a lot of press. That harms the reputation of PP. It will cause some donors to back away from making contributions. That will reduce the services PP can provide. It is a vicious circle and PP needs to always stick to the law on every service they provide.

As a rape survivor (as well as experiencing a crisis pregnancy), I am appalled that people use such a horrific incident to justify the killing of a human being who is then thrown into the incinerator. I'm a Democrat, I am pro-sex, I'm a fornicator, but I'll be damned if I'm going to fool myself into thinking abortion is "women's health care." It's not. Planned Parenthoods OTHER services are noble, but abortion is not noble--it is a tragedy. To dehumanize a human baby for the sake of one's own bank account/relationship/what have you is abominable.

However, I hate that right-wing anti-abortionists are only pro-life up to the point of birth. Women need education, we need birth control, and we need real options.

Most abortion clinics do what they need to "sell" the abortion. This isn't a rare occurrence....it happens in clinics all the time. The right-wingers and super-left-wingers are both wrong. This issue is about blood--the woman's and the baby's. Planned Parenthood makes at least $1 BILLION a year from abortions. That's telling, and even my pro-choice friends find that number appalling.

You can't get a Tylenol from the nurse at school. WTF kind of world is this?

Quote Originally Posted by Lily View Post
    To dehumanize a human baby for the sake of one's own bank account/relationship/what have you is abominable.

Most abortion clinics do what they need to "sell" the abortion. The right-wingers and super-left-wingers are both wrong. This issue is about blood--the woman's and the baby's. Planned Parenthood makes at least $1 BILLION a year from abortions. That's telling, and even my pro-choice friends find that number appalling.
    A) A tiny fetus less than an inch long is not a human baby yet-or even nearly. You can't dehumanize what is not human. It is NOT. Some of have early miscarriges we aren't even aware of,yet,as Molly Ivins said,we don't hold a funeral service over every used tampax.

B) SELL it? A woman seeking an abortion doesn't need to be sold on it-most have anguished over it already. It is about blood-the womans only. It is her life,not yours and you do not have the right to stop her. Her motives are hers alone. Her choice alone.
    I am appalled that you were raped. You did as you chose with that-let some other woman make her choice. What worked for you might destroy someone's life.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

It is human----it is either human or it's not. It doesn't suddenly become a person. It is. This is not a religious argument. This is after 11 years of research. Pro-life and pro-choice doctors both admit that it is a human. And by the time a woman finds out she's pregnant, that 'non human' has feet, hands, eyes, and, of course, the heart that you can see on the ultrasound. Abortions take the baby apart and reassemble it in a tray. It is gruesome and vomit-inducing to witness. I will never be the same again. I was pro-choice most of my life, I was. But this isn't about choice, it is about the truth.

Yes, women DO need to be sold on abortion. A lot of women go in not knowing what to do and they're scared--they have no emotional or financial support, and the clinics make money from the abortions. So if a woman is wavering, the clinic will sell it to her ("you can't handle this right now....it's the best thing for you" blah blah blah).

It's not a choice, it is a PERSON. We need to stop conceiving these babies to begin with, and we need to stop seeing them as disposable simply because their mere EXISTENCE poses a threat to whatever comfort someone feels they deserve. Life isn't fair. It isn't clean. And we have no right to dehumanize a person for our selfish purposes, and then shun the same women who "chose" this so-called "right" when they come asking for help.

If pro-choicers were so concerned with women's health, they would do what they can to tell the truth and to help women who are asking for real choices and do not want to have an abortion. Instead, they sell abortion as the only option and then they ignore the millions of women who were hurt and haunted by their abortions.

Life is a continuum, it is not arbitrary. Believe me, I'd be the first in line for an abortion if the unborn child was not a person, but it IS a person. The Supreme Court has made a lot of mistakes. This is one of them. We need to examine this issue from the bottom to the top, not argue semantics and "rights" and "my body" and ignore facts.

Life begins at a point and ends. We are people from beginning to end.

It doesn't make sense that a pro-choice woman would criticize another woman for smoking during pregnancy, or during her own pregnancy, take pre-natal vitamins and post the sonogram of her "baby" (because what pro-choice woman calls her wanted baby "her fetus" or her "non-human").....So many inconsistencies, and it's just horrible. It's horrible.

I don't believe that abortion is the lynchpin to our freedom. The rights of the unborn and the rights of the woman are not diametrically opposed---they are intrinsically linked, and until we really figure that out across the board, we're going to see shit like this pulled by PP and other clinics who care more about their wallets and their agenda than they do about women's health.

oh god, are we going to go through this AGAIN

This amuses me:

Believe me, I'd be the first in line for an abortion if the unborn child was not a person, but it IS a person. The Supreme Court has made a lot of mistakes. This is one of them. We need to examine this issue from the bottom to the top, not argue semantics and "rights" and "my body" and ignore facts.
    Firstly, that's an OPINION, not a universal constant or even a fact. You THINK the Supreme Court made a mistake. Obviously, not everyone agrees.

Secondly, you're basing your possible future decisions of abortion on this OPINION, and the semantics of what constitutes a person, according to this statement, while decrying anybody else using that exact same line of reasoning to "dehumanize" a fetus. Double standard?

Overall, argument failure.

So, lesson taken from this?

Don't want an abortion, don't get one. Your truth isn't a truth, it's a viewpoint. A position. An opinion. It is not a constant. You don't hold the magic keys to universal understanding or fact.

Voila. Solved.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

No...we're not.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

We might. I can't decide if I want to buy a ticket this time.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Hopless,anyway. We just disagree.

Same shit, over and over.
    Told you all, but you wouldn't listen.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia View Post
    We might. I can't decide if I want to buy a ticket this time.
    I'm trying sooooo hard to resist.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

Abort! Abort! Abort! Chuck it down the pan, bring me a knitting needle - Patsy Stone
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

In South Dakota, pharmacists can refuse to fill a prescription for contraceptives should it trouble their conscience, and some groups who worked on the anti-abortion bill believe contraception also needs to be outlawed. Good plan. After that, we'll reconsider women's property rights, civil right and voting rights.

-Molly Ivins

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information